What's new

What made you happy today?

shavefan

I’m not a fan
A friend dropped this off about 6 weeks ago, except it was in 9 boxes of parts. 1970 CT70 (K0) Trail 70 that's been in his family since new. He asked If I would help put it back together and clean it up. "Yup, happy to do it".

I was happy to have the project while sheltering in place.

It cleaned up really well. I have at least 8 hours in hand polishing the original paint. I re-covered the seat, rebuilt the forks, steering, shocks, swing arm, wheels, brakes. Engine covers, side stand, foot pegs got stripped & painted. New cables, grips, levers, headlight bucket & exhaust. It is still mostly original however. The engine had excellent compression and great spark so I only gave it a basic tuneup (new spark plug, air filter, set the timing, adjusted the valves), adjusted the auto-clutch, and rebuilt the carburetor. Starts up on first or second kick and runs like a champ.

The owner is very happy.

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 3.55.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 3.55.46 PM.png

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
A friend dropped this off about 6 weeks ago, except it was in 9 boxes of parts. 1970 CT70 (K0) Trail 70 that's been in his family since new. He asked If I would help put it back together and clean it up. "Yup, happy to do it".

It cleaned up really well. I have at least 8 hours in hand polishing the original paint. I re-covered the seat, rebuilt the forks, steering, shocks, swing arm, wheels, brakes. Engine covers, side stand, foot pegs got stripped & painted. New cables, grips, levers, headlight bucket & exhaust. It is still mostly original however. The engine had excellent compression and great spark so I only gave it a basic tuneup (new spark plug, air filter, set the timing, adjusted the valves), adjusted the auto-clutch, and rebuilt the carburetor. Starts up on first or second kick and runs like a champ.

The owner is very happy.

View attachment 1102731View attachment 1102730
Looks like fun.

Have been wanting to replace the vinyl siding on the gable ends of my house and MIL suite with Hardie Plank for years. Because business has been slow lately, I got a heck of a deal- about 20% off. There is a six week lead time (went with the ColorPlus boards), but got my price locked in.

on edit: lifetime warranty on installation, 30 year non pro-rated on the planks, and 15 years on the color.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Looks like fun.

Have been wanting to replace the vinyl siding on the gable ends of my house and MIL suite with Hardie Plank for years. Because business has been slow lately, I got a heck of a deal- about 20% off. There is a six week lead time (went with the ColorPlus boards), but got my price locked in.

on edit: lifetime warranty on installation, 30 year non pro-rated on the planks, and 15 years on the color.

Owen, would you mind PM'ing me who you used? We're looking at getting some siding done too. Thx,

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Owen, would you mind PM'ing me who you used? We're looking at getting some siding done too. Thx,
Will do. I found them through Good Contractors List. I will get you their name, but if you call them with the number on the GCL website, they will back them up. Just a little extra protection. Let me get to my desk and I will shoot you a PM

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Will do. I found them through Good Contractors List. I will get you their name, but if you call them with the number on the GCL website, they will back them up. Just a little extra protection. Let me get to my desk and I will shoot you a PM

Thank you sir

The owner is very happy.

View attachment 1102731View attachment 1102730

NICE JOB!!! BEAUTIFUL! I got started riding back in ‘73, on a blue ‘71 SL70 and my riding buddy had a CT 70. His was one of the more rare versions with a clutch and a four speed tranny. Your friend is definitely going to be stoked!

Last edited:
Looks like fun.

Very happy with my Hardie Plank 10 years after re-siding the whole house. I guess it contributes a little something to my happiness every day.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
NICE JOB!!! BEAUTIFUL! I got started riding back in ‘73, on a blue ‘71 SL70 and my riding buddy had a CT 70. His was one of the more rare versions with a clutch and a four speed tranny. Your friend is definitely going to be stoked!

Thanks. It was a satisfying project.

Oh yeah, the owner is stoked alright. So much so he dropped another one off...

IMG_2788.jpg

"Hey, can you take a look at a '74 I have? I've never had it running."

Errr... Sure... :001_unsur

This one is a 1974 (K3) CT70. There's four more boxes of parts in addition to that one, should be fairly complete.

I'm happy to have the opportunity to try and get it going.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Very happy with my Hardie Plank 10 years after re-siding the whole house. I guess it contributes a little something to my happiness every day.
I will do eaves, soffits, and frames next year. Currently those are aluminum. The rest of the house is brick.

I was going to say picking up a reknotted shave brush from Rudy Vey this morning, but that pales in comparison to this story. My wife and I were members of this church for 25 years until we moved, my daughters both attended the grade school and my oldest was married there in the early 1990s. Unlike my shave brush, this is an uplifting news story the whole family enjoyed.

Driving past a used car dealer I was at last week. The car I was interested in, the dealer wouldn't budge on the price, or better his trade value of my old mazda. Today however the price was £230 less, so I swung in and got a further £270 on mine. Deposit put down. Left with a big ole smile. 😄

Finally got the tomatoes planted. The plants endured three rainy days on the patio, shielded from the wind but got some, but not much, sun. Put out four plants which will be enough for our needs of slicing, salsa, and canning, and sharing with four neighboring households. Should have fruit by early August, good Lord willing. Not too many things beat a fresh tomato in a big BLT. Anybody know of a use for green tomatoes other than frying them?

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Finally got the tomatoes planted. The plants endured three rainy days on the patio, shielded from the wind but got some, but not much, sun. Put out four plants which will be enough for our needs of slicing, salsa, and canning, and sharing with four neighboring households. Should have fruit by early August, good Lord willing. Not too many things beat a fresh tomato in a big BLT. Anybody know of a use for green tomatoes other than frying them?

Green tomatoes... They're good pickled too.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
When the farmer’s market has beefeaters, I know I am going to have a few days of fantastic BLTs. Grocery store tomatoes are so bland that I don’t even was my time and just make B sandwiches.

Today! First shave mail call from overseas in two months! Probably more important to my mood as a ray of hope, rather than as another razor.

But a real beauty from a B&B gentleman!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Divided some hostas and some ornamental grass to put in other places where I would usually put in annuals. Supported some small businesses with curbside pickups of things. Started a batch of pickled eggs. Soaking some chickpeas so I can make hummus. Soaked my old bones in a nice hot bath. Posted a few things on B&B.

Top Bottom