What's new

What made you happy today?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
From yesterday: As some on here know, I teach middle school science. My school can be...challenging. A few weeks back I emailed several principals in my district, letting them know I was interested in transferring for the upcoming school year. One of them, the principal at a school for academically gifted and talented students, emailed me back and we set up an interview for this past Monday. The interview went great. Friday (yesterday) she emailed me and asked me to call her via Microsoft Teams when I was on my planning period. I did, and she offered me a position teaching 6th grade science at her school!! I am over the moon excited!
A hearty congratulations.... well done.

I was sitting at my desk, looking out at the deck, when the first hummingbird of the year flew in. It inspected Mrs. HighSpeed's dahlias, spent some quality time with the peonies, and zipped over to the wind chime, which consists of five polycarb hummingbirds, hung like a mobile from a shepherd's hook. Quickly realizing that these hummingbirds were not real, it flew back into the woods, leaving as abruptly as it came.

I always find hummingbirds awe inspiring. They make the unimaginable creativity of nature imaginable, and they always leave me wanting them to come back soon.

At the house we sold at the end of 2020, we looked forward to seeing loads of Robins in our yard every spring. They were the sign that winter was over and spring was here. At our apartment, only 6 miles away, we rarely see a Robin. The spring bird here is the House Finch. More skittish than Robins but still fun to watch. This year a House Finch built their next in an artificial wreath my wife had hung on the front door. The nest had 4 eggs that have begun to hatch.

Finch 2022.jpg

In town, the roses and the peonies are in bloom and setting records for abundance.

Out on the forest property, I have almost finished preventing any scotch broom from setting seed this epic year for flowers. And I’m seeing prolific flowering from the native iris.
D81580A4-0715-4FCE-A7D9-A758F03C6D01.jpeg

Iris tenax

Plus I spotted a black bear rambling over our west hillside cut. It was probably a bit over 100 yards away, the first one I’ve seen inside our boundary line.

Update on our House Finches. One of the 4 didn't make it and the mom tossed it out of the nest onto our doorstep for me to clean up. The other 3 seem to be doing well, sporting some body feathers, but still having a white down mohawk. The Mom also cleaned out all the bird crap from the nest, which now covers the outside edges of the nest, my wife's wreath, and some of the front door. Me wife's not so sure about encouraging future nests, but I'm up for it. The little ones still sleep most of the day, and we try our best not to bother them, but I'll post an updated photo when I can get a good one.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My pulmonologist told me that I will live to fight another day!

I feel REALLY good about that. Last week my cardiologist had me a little down because he seemed like he knew something he wasn't tellin' me....

To quote my good friend Willy Nelson, "there's more ol' drunks than there are ol' doctors, so I guess we better have another round!"

Yesterday's bear sighting made me happy. Today's (probably same bear) was more nerve wracking. 20 yards of easy terrain separated us at closest approach. I wasn't moving once I spotted him. He stopped to give me a brief inspection, then bounded ahead into the brush.

This was the biggest black bear I have seen in the wild, or maybe just my eyes were big. Unlike cats, it is good luck when a black bear crosses your path, or at least better luck than when your paths meet.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Yesterday's bear sighting made me happy. Today's (probably same bear) was more nerve wracking. 20 yards of easy terrain separated us at closest approach. I wasn't moving once I spotted him. He stopped to give me a brief inspection, then bounded ahead into the brush.

This was the biggest black bear I have seen in the wild, or maybe just my eyes were big. Unlike cats, it is good luck when a black bear crosses your path, or at least better luck than when your paths meet.
That black bear wasn't interested in you. It was just admiring the flowers.

FarmerTan

The flowers are so abundant this spring. And, yes, I was definitely rejected.
I've got a black bear that uses my woods for nothing more than a highway, thankfully.

I see evidence once in awhile of his using the "rest area" and that's fine by me.

I've been known to use my woods that way myself!

Just about every Thursday morning my friends and I get together for breakfast. We’ve known each other since freshman year in high school. We are now or will be 70.
We lost two, one in 2017 the other in 2020.
One we lost this March when he and his better half moved to FLA.
The three of us left continue to have breakfast. The restaurant still gives us the same table!
Today our friend who had moved surprised us by showing up!
Still makes me smile.

I'm happy that I got my truck running again. It sat since mid 2020 while I was in the hospital, but started up right away (after charging the battery) once I got home. I recently drove it around the neighborhood just enough to get comfortable using the clutch with my prosthetic leg, but it quit a few weeks ago - the starter didn't work.
Ends up there's a switch the clutch pedal arm needs to engage to allow it to start & a little rubber bumper that engages the switch had crumbled. A flat head bolt & a couple of nuts & it's good to start again1
It runs smooth but needs an oil change & I need to burn up 1/2 tank of 2+ year-old gas.
PICT0052.jpg

FarmerTan

I'm happy that I got my truck running again. It sat since mid 2020 while I was in the hospital, but started up right away (after charging the battery) once I got home. I recently drove it around the neighborhood just enough to get comfortable using the clutch with my prosthetic leg, but it quit a few weeks ago - the starter didn't work.
Ends up there's a switch the clutch pedal arm needs to engage to allow it to start & a little rubber bumper that engages the switch had crumbled. A flat head bolt & a couple of nuts & it's good to start again1
It runs smooth but needs an oil change & I need to burn up 1/2 tank of 2+ year-old gas.
View attachment 1469935
Man, that is a sharp truck...

FarmerTan

Just about every Thursday morning my friends and I get together for breakfast. We’ve known each other since freshman year in high school. We are now or will be 70.
We lost two, one in 2017 the other in 2020.
One we lost this March when he and his better half moved to FLA.
The three of us left continue to have breakfast. The restaurant still gives us the same table!
Today our friend who had moved surprised us by showing up!
Still makes me smile.
Don't know why I just saw this!

I'm glad I did. I'm lying on my back, chillin' out, and exactly two happy tears are rolling down my cheeks. Thank you my friend!

I have one friend like this myself. Not that we get together, but we grew up together, and have known each other since he moved across the street from me when we were 10 and 11...

We have gone YEARS sometimes without seeing each other, sometimes weeks, sometimes everyday for a week when we vacation together. I'm blessed that his wife and mine have become at least as close as we are.

Thank you for the blessing my friend!

Got packages in the mail for an amp clamp to check for parasitic battery drain on my vehicles. Good news, no drain for my truck, but the little Civic has enough to cause the battery to drain over about the course of more than a week.
Also got a solar cell and charge controller to use as a trickle charger.
Also got my order from the Razorblades Club - the Carbon steel Durasharps did a BBS shave using a #160 Gooodwill.

Stumbled across a Doordash delivery for Schlotzky's, so an original sandwich is now on the way. Used to be a Schlotzkys across the street when I worked at Motorola in Mesa, and others when I'd visit Austin, TX to do project work. Another one across town from me closed up several years ago when their lease was up & the property owner turned it all into parking lot. The remaining one was on the other side of town & not cpnvenient, but apparently there's now another one closer that's doing the delivery. May not seem like a big deal, but it's been several years now & nobody else can duplicate the sourdough bun.

Top Bottom