What's new

What made you happy today?

Thinking about all the moments we shared in that building before 'not martial law' was declared... our treasure hunts... our secret hiding place... whispering in the hallway... grinning at one another when no one was looking... her smiling and doing a little curtsy in that blue dress after I lipped, "you look pretty today"... *sigh*

Newly planted bare root ginkgo tree is looking good, first tiny leaves are showing. You never know with a bare root tree. This one is a tough guy. Grabbed it the last day the nursery was open.

Now I’m really happy! Very old and close friends’ daughter-in-law was diagnosed with a brain tumor. After careful study, patience, and time to heal, it is currently shrinking. Almost certainly it is not a tumor at all. My resident neurosurgical professional thinks it is probably a vascular lesion.

In any case, no imminent death, no traumatic brain surgeries, good prospects for long and happy life. Now that is a joyful note in trying times.

If I am honest, not much . . . not even going to bother with a cigar after work.
Just getting sick of the monotony. Not sure what I'd do if I did not have work to go to.
That's the whole point of this thread. Even when things aren't wonderful, there is always something you can reflect on that made you happy or grateful.

Today it's hearing the tweeting birds outside my office window while drinking coffee.

Newly planted bare root ginkgo tree is looking good, first tiny leaves are showing. You never know with a bare root tree. This one is a tough guy. Grabbed it the last day the nursery was open.
That reminds me - the baby Aspen in my yard that I was almost certain had died last year is growing new leaves.

If you cant find any joy, I suggest listening to some John Prine. Of course he’s not the source of my joy, but he has refularly helped me focus in on the source. He and his tunes and lyrics have pulled me through many years of my own misperceived monotony. Anybody struggling, please hang on. Send me a prayer request if needed. I’m always willing to pray for others. There is light at the end of this.
———

I found six marbles in my lawn while scouting for weeds yesterday. They will go in the collection. We’ve been here twenty years. (Those adult kids and their slingshots!!!) They may have originated from my collection and the wife may be right...I'm slowly losing them.

I’m always happy to take out the old clay marble, a foundling from days or yore, and roll it around in my hand...imagining the hours of play it endured a century ago or more.

71732A72-4191-4A16-BC80-F48A38BBF5AB.jpeg
393A69AA-CF24-41DA-B849-5ECD637ED6DE.jpeg

Coming home to my wife and daughter. They make it all worth it. It is too easy to forget how truly blessed I am to have them in my life, it makes it a life worth living to the fullest. Take care of each other.

If you cant find any joy, I suggest listening to some John Prine. Of course he’s not the source of my joy, but he has refularly helped me focus in on the source. He and his tunes and lyrics have pulled me through many years of my own misperceived monotony. Anybody struggling, please hang on. Send me a prayer request if needed. I’m always willing to pray for others. There is light at the end of this.
———

I found six marbles in my lawn while scouting for weeds yesterday. They will go in the collection. We’ve been here twenty years. (Those adult kids and their slingshots!!!) They may have originated from my collection and the wife may be right...I'm slowly losing them.

I’m always happy to take out the old clay marble, a foundling from days or yore, and roll it around in my hand...imagining the hours of play it endured a century ago or more.

View attachment 1088895View attachment 1088896

I don't know why, but that marble's really cool. 😏

My wife and I Sharing some of our own childhood TV shows with my daughter. She liked them all! We had a great time.
You reminded me of some happy memories road tripping across country in the 80s with our young children listening to some of the old classic radio shows - Box 13, The Lone Ranger, The Shadow, Jack Benny, Abbott & Costello, Dragnet, Mystery Theater, and so many others! We would check out a couple of dozen of them on cassette and listen to them over and over on our way from CA to NC and back again. It got to where the kids could repeat the dialogue on some of them word for word. Good times and good memories!

My wife of nearly 1 year and I live in the house I bought 7 years ago when I had almost nothing finally told me what she needed to make the house ours and not mine. She’s very creative and crafty, but due to space limitations and a garage and kitchen not quite up to par due to my renovation efforts she has no real place to pursue what brings her joy. She came up with how she wanted to configure the entire lower level of our house and swap furniture around. I moved my gun safe and her well stocked bar where and how she wanted them. Now I can see it in her that she finally feels as though she is home. I’ve wanted her to feel comfortable with this for nearly 2 years, but there was no rushing it. I’m happy because she is finally happy and feels at home in our house.

Top Bottom