What's new

what made you buy your coti?...

I'm going to go with peer pressure. B&B facilitators. But I was lucky enough to swap my first one for one of my strops, from a stand-up member here. That was the gateway drug. I now have about seven or eight.
proxy.php

The one stone can do it all idea got me into coti's. Now honing is kinda fun and I've maxed out the keenes on my stones so now what...? B&B help I need razors to hone but my HAD has taken a break.

Well - how about because:

1) it involves a unique and dynamic honing method that takes some skill and 'artfullness' to excel at. You can express yourself and develop your method either in finishing or in complete honing.
2) it one of the rarest rocks of its type in the world. These rocks formed in a very unique environment and have a very restricted geographic distribution. Coticule have been prized since pre-Roman times.
3) a natural coticule combo is a wonderful thing to behold, IMO.
etc....

Because it was almost free :001_smile

I wouldn't pay the full price for a coti nowadays, there are better options out there in my opinion for the price. You can get a nice Jnat from Maxim in the same size for the same price, they are even nicer finishers in my opinion, and can be used in a one stone honing fashion if that appels to someone. But if you find a coti for a few bucks in antique stores or on eBay, it would be a waste to not buy them :001_rolle

)
it involves a unique and dynamic honing method that takes some skill and 'artfullness' to excel at

~~~well then, how is it I can get a great edge time and again using a coticule?:a6::001_005:

Speaking strictly for myself, I would imagine those that have a hard time getting good shaveable edges using coticules just aren't experimenting enough. I didn't get a good edge first time around, nor the 2nd or the 3rd. It's w/repitition that you become proficient

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.
I wonder what the poor people are using to hone their straight razors....probably lapping film

Legion

Staff member
The excessively high price made me not buy one.

Excessively high price. :huh:

One coticule and a slurry stone can do the work of four synthetic stones. Plus it will last for your entire life. I'm happy to drop a couple of hundred bucks on something like that.

It only gets expensive when you get HAD and buy lots of them. But then I figure, hey they are not develuating at all. The spare ones are just an asset which I can liquidate instantly if I need to.

If you buy it lapped then you probably won't neet to lap it again
No soaking
Can't overhone
Descriptions of fun or joy to use
Variety of shapes, sizes, personalities
Lots of users and help
Something that has been used since pre-Roman times
Process of learning and using a slurry
Available and ease of reselling
Challenge of learning to use it (same as learning a straight in the first place)

Top Bottom