What's new

What loop should one get?

So looking for suggestions as to what loop to get. I know a microscope of sorts might be better but i want to take it with me on the road as i decided that i have nothing better to do at the hotel so i may as well learn and perfect my honing skills....lol.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I use a Belemo 10x. It has a very good eye relief and let's me see everything I need to see.
Don't get their 20x. It's useless

Im using this one, had to,snug down the battery hatch or the led would flicker, but it came with a tool for that so no issues. I ordered the ones Alfredo uses, but they are on a slow boat from China. This was is stocked and shipped by Amazon, so you get it quick, you might want to get two or three as they are cheap.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 82
I use a 4x photo loupe most of the time. Jewler's loupes don't have a great field of view - I have a few of them, but I use the photo loupe 90% of the time.

Well a couple of issues trying to use a cell phone camera, one the lens isn't a macro and wont give you the detail, two even with a macro and the transparent shield on the lens its difficult to get enough light to properly see the details, The cell phone body blocks a lot of light even using external light sources. You might do better with the razor inside a lightbox, where the light is properly diffused, but thats a hassle.

Here are some test shots using my macro clip on with no lightbox. A loop at x60 provides much better detail and you can easily manipulate the razor's edge to get the best shots.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 63
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 61
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 61
No problem, glad to add what little insight I have into the honing...see what youre doing. Ive been going at it hard the last four days trying to get to know my new rock better. Ive got loop eye, honers arm and stroppers back all going at the same time, lol. Good luck!

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
No problem, glad to add what little insight I have into the honing...see what youre doing. Ive been going at it hard the last four days trying to get to know my new rock better. Ive got loop eye, honers arm and stroppers back all going at the same time, lol. Good luck!
How's the new jnat doing Brian?

How's the new jnat doing Brian?

Fantastic, thank you David!

I've spent waaay too much time staring through a loop, inspecting edges. So far Ive honed up: 1. Revisor, 1. Hart, 2. ERN's, 1 Klas Thorblom, 1. CVH non Mk, 1. Henckles #16 and an Osgar Special in ivory. Learning a lot about different steel, the "pitfalls" of vintage razors and their dark spots.

Along the way Ive been varying the slurry consistencies and inspecting the scratch patterns through the loops, seeing what each does, varing pressures and strokes, circle, 45 degree, straight etc. I really like the x60 power jewelers loops, very manageable, easy to hold the loop and inspect the razor changing the angles to get the best light reflection etc.

Not to hijack the thread, but I also bought an Amscope microscope. Not terribly easy to use as the table adjustment doesn't quite get the razor's edge into focus..need some sort of holder to capture the edge safely and secure it while raising it a bit. I bought the one that has a top and bottom led light I still need to use an external light to really see well.

My Dimolite usb microscope, I already had, goes to x200 and is probably the least useful of the tools. it has a clear housing I need to remove to get the razor closer to the lens, also its led lights washout any shadows. I can change the settings a bit, but have to turn off the led lights and grab an external light source to make it work....just an all round hassle for me.

So, back to the light loops. The ones Doc recommended arrived today....they are exactly the same as the picture I posted earlier in the thread, but at $3.69 ea vs $10 something. Go figure.lol

Its all good Brian as info and experience with magnifying devises experiences are what this thread is about.

Top Bottom