What's new

What liquor surprised you for its price?

Essentially, what liquor have you recently had, that has shocked you with how good it was for its price?

For example: I have avoided Canadian Club for several years because I've always considered it a cheap 'party' whisky (something for college students to get drunk off of). Out of curiosity, I purchased Canadian Club Classic yesterday, and was shocked by how much I enjoyed it. Sure, its not the smoothest (although for a whisky with lots of rye, I found it surprisingly easy to drink), but the strong flavours of vanilla, caramel, and oak made me think of a young aged rum. How much did this all cost? Only $27 CAD, thats $21.49 USD for my American friends here.

126466-1_1580592019.png

So here's the question for you: What liquor is surprisingly good for its price?

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I was surprised that BRANDY does not cost much. It is ‘Christian Brothers’. At the liquor stores in northern Kentucky , it costs$ 8.99 per 750 ml . Then there is tax. I drive to Ky. about every 2 months to get 6 more bottles.

My most recent "amazing-for-the price" experience was with Christian Brothers VSOP brandy. Here in Oregon it runs just $14 for a 750, which is pretty remarkable for an aged spirit. CB is distilled in California and then aged and bottled by Heaven Hill in Kentucky. Heaven Hill has a lot of used bourbon barrels on their hands and word has it that they cherry pick some of the best ones for aging this brandy. That really shows in the barrel flavors of sweet oak, vanilla and butterscotch that dominate the profile of this smooth brandy. A winner and, for sure, an outstanding bargain.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Lot No. 40 Canadian Rye. At $35 a bottle it puts +$125 bottles of rye in the shade.

Best cheap booze: Screech, the iconic rum of Canada. Dark rum, aged in white oak. Perfect.

O.H.

I would recommend ANY Canadian Whisky to you gents south of the border. Canadian distilleries are putting out some high quality bottle over the last few years. Among them

LOT 40 100% Rye. Also available as "Dark Oak" version. Simply the best 100% Rye you will find. Pot still distillation too.

Gooderham & Worts Four Grain whisky. Rye, Corn, Wheat, and Barley. delicious and smooth.

Alberta Premium.

Pike Creek 10 YO Rum barrel finish.

And, if you get a chance at some of the limited edition stuff . . .

Canadian Club Chronicles. 43 YO Canadian Whisky priced at $250.00 CAD (iirc)
J.P. Wiser's 22 YO Cask Strength Blend priced at $150.00 CAD and bottled at just under 60% abv.

Famous Grouse 12y Single Malt
Singleton of Dufftown 12y

I enjoy them and always have a couple of bottles handy to bring along for people wanting to try a Single Malt and don’t know where to start.

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I second Evan Williams BiB. Good enough to sip (just), but priced only at a nominal premium over EV White.

I'm still always impressed by what Knob Creek delivers for the price. For only about twice the price of the inexpensive Jim Beam White you get 90 proof aged 9 years. Not bad at all!

Inside the USA, bourbon still has many excellent value options out there.

I second Evan Williams BiB. Good enough to sip (just), but priced only at a nominal premium over EV White.

I'm still always impressed by what Knob Creek delivers for the price. For only about twice the price of the inexpensive Jim Beam White you get 90 proof aged 9 years. Not bad at all!

Inside the USA, bourbon still has many excellent value options out there.
It might not be top shelf but WT 101 is very versatile and affordable even here in Europe.

if you're in the PNW get a bottle of adrift amaro. such a lovely ad balanced sipper.
amaro-wa-distillery-1.jpg

also random grabbed a bottle of Rolling River Spirits Brown Bear Aquavit
and wow also a winner, the bottle went fast on the rock and in cocktails.
photo0jpg.jpg

Sparrow Hawk Winery Red Wine.
I think I bought 2 bottles from Costco @ ~ $12.00
I wish I'd have bought a dozen.
Sparrow Hawk Winery Reserve Red Wine

For the price, it was insanely good.

Top Bottom