What's new

What kind of stone to use?

I want to put an edge on the straight I just bought. I also picked up this clauss stone but don't know if it is something I should used on my razor. I don't know much about this subject.

Attachments

• $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386620597.300857.jpg
    $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386620597.300857.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 86
What you have there looks to be a barbers hone. It's used to refresh an already shave ready edge with a couple of strokes if it starts to tug and pull. If you want to properly hone a razor from scratch you will need a bevel setting stone (usually around 1k), mid range stones (3/4/5k and an 8k) and a finishing stone (10-12k). If this is your first straight razor I would recommend sending out to get professionally honed so you know what a shave ready razor feels like.

How can I find out how course the stone I have is?

A lot of barber's hones end up being around the 8k mark, give or take (don't know about yours in particular)...it looks like yours needs to be cleaned up a bit, but it should work OK once cleaned up....Are you trying to just touch up a razor that's beginning to pull, or are you starting from scratch (or don't you know, which is totally cool)?

If you're not sure, then your best bet may be to send it out to be honed. I, or a number of people here I'm sure would be more than willing...

Yeah listen to what JP said. He's from Boston and that's scary. It also means he doesn't acknowledge the letter "R" exists in the alphabet, he's a democrat and is either Irish and/or Italian catholic.

But honestly, he's right.

It cleaned up pretty good. The pic was before I did that. I'm going to send the razor out to get made shave worthy first. I just bought the stone on a whim as I couldn't pass up the price on it.

Yeah listen to what JP said. He's from Boston and that's scary. It also means he doesn't acknowledge the letter "R" exists in the alphabet, he's a democrat and is either Irish and/or Italian catholic.

But honestly, he's right.

LOL.....You got most of it right actually!! 100% Irish but not a democrat...All my friends are democrats though!!

It cleaned up pretty good. The pic was before I did that. I'm going to send the razor out to get made shave worthy first. I just bought the stone on a whim as I couldn't pass up the price on it.

Nice!! Yeah it should work well to touch up a razor that's just starting to pull…..8-10 laps on water or lather should be all you need to touch a blade up….

My advice would be to read read and read. Check out lots of honing videos. Then, when your shave ready razor starts to dull, learn touch ups first. When confidence and experience start to build move on and tackle bigger honing adventures.

Nice!! Yeah it should work well to touch up a razor that's just starting to pull…..8-10 laps on water or lather should be all you need to touch a blade up….

Depends on the Barber's Hone - some are so fast that going over 8 laps will tear the edge up.
I usually recommend 4-6 and a bizillion laps on leather afterwards.

Top Bottom