What's new

What kind of razor is this?

I have recently returned to using razor blades, after years of electric shavers. I have remembered or figured out the Trac II, the Atra, and other handles that I had in my collection. But I haven't yet figured out what this is:

Razor1.png

It has a button on each side of the handle (one button shown here), to squeeze those two scoop-shaped tabs closer together, to fit into the little J-shaped hooks on each side of the cartridge.

While I'm asking questions: is there a type of cartridge that doesn't clog up, or at least is easy to clean? Even with assistance, the faucet is not producing the fire-hose pressure that my cartridges (so far) seem to require for full cleaning.

It seems all cartridges now include that white lube strip, which may be useful but mostly just seems to force the blades closer together.

I wish your picture showed more of the handle. Does it say made in USA? Is there a brand name on the handle or head?

Sounds like you may have a water conservation low-flow bathroom faucet. Draw some water in the sink, and try swooshing the soapy razor head in the water between passes with a little vigor. It should clean out fine.

I don't think the white lube strip is of meaningful value. I suggest it's a gimmick, with no real benefit beyond what a slick shaving soap would offer. But most cartridges seem to have the white strip nowadays.

Last edited:
The handle looks like a Sensor type.

I'm not sure about the cartridge. It's also a Sensor type, but it seems to be a different size & it seems to have one blade. Are you sure it's compatible with that handle?

Can you post pictures of the front and sides?

Last edited:
Jeez, I wish you guys were into software. It would be great if I could get this kind of response when my computer mystifies me.

A straight razor is not out of the realm of possibility. But on rare occasions I have been known to twitch while shaving. Oops ... the jugular ...

Regrettably, to borrow from the vernacular of colonoscopy, the crud seems to get severely impacted in these cartridges. Mere sloshing water will not faze it. But no worries. I was planning on buying an air compressor anyway.

Seriously, there are unfortunately no identifying markings -- no print or logo, that is -- on either cartridge or handle. Maybe it's priceless -- one of a kind. Or (more likely) it was the X brand of the year, circa 2004 or whenever I last used it.

Here are more images, as requested. Pardon the yellowish tinge. It's apparently due to the lighting. The handle is very lightweight. Its metallic surface may just be chromed plastic.

IMG_20211223_070841448.jpg
IMG_20211223_070848421.jpg
IMG_20211223_070906728.jpg

IMG_20211223_070940150.jpg
IMG_20211223_071128569.jpg

To me, the Vise-Grips nicely accentuate the hardware on display here ... but the real point of this last image is to show how the head pivots. Those J-hooks on the cartridge slide along the arced attachment points on the handle.

I think i had something like that also..., like over 10 years ago. Pretty sure it was a RiteAid or CVS generic version of the gillette sensor...i think they were branded under the name "Blade" at the time. If i remember correctly, I stopped using it because even though it looked like a gillette sensor, ...the real sensor carts didn't fit, you had to use the store brand ones.

Last edited:
I think you've got it. Following up on that name, I find the Personna Triflexxx. The handle looks the same. Their pictures don't provide enough detail to verify that I should be buying Triflexx cartridges. I have emailed Personna for confirmation. If that's the razor, it appears that there are still cartridges for it on the market.

Thanks for the help. I'll try to remember to follow up here if Personna does reply.

Wow, i guess that was it !!! I have to ask though, before you go thru too much trouble finding refills....do you remember actually liking this razor when you used it? As you said in your original post, the 3 blades crammed into that tiny sensor style head were a clogging nightmare. I think you might be better off trying something new. The Mach 3 and the new Gillette Skinguard are better for not clogging,...easier to rinse out.

Personna (a/k/a Edgewell)'s reply, in full:

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding your recent experience with our Personna razors and giving us the opportunity to make it right.

Based in your picture, this is not a Tri-Flexxx Razor handle.

Should you have any additional comments or concerns, please feel free to call us at 1-888-254-2126. Our office hours are 8 am to 6 pm Eastern Time.

Apparently that means Tri-Flexxx cartridges won't fit it either. Because I think Halfblade is right: it does look like a Gillette Sensor clone. Here's a helpful image from another thread right here in B & B:

Gillette Sensor.png

See also Worth Point:

Gillette Sensor 2.jpg

A search for an exact SuperMax matching handle struck out, but the cartridge looks very close.

So apparently that's the answer, after all: it's a clone of a Gillette Sensor.

As for whether I'll actually like using it, I don't remember, but the advice about the Mach3 being easier to rinse out does count. I may start there.

Thanks, all, for the assist.

I have recently returned to using razor blades, after years of electric shavers. I have remembered or figured out the Trac II, the Atra, and other handles that I had in my collection. But I haven't yet figured out what this is:

View attachment 1382546

It has a button on each side of the handle (one button shown here), to squeeze those two scoop-shaped tabs closer together, to fit into the little J-shaped hooks on each side of the cartridge.

While I'm asking questions: is there a type of cartridge that doesn't clog up, or at least is easy to clean? Even with assistance, the faucet is not producing the fire-hose pressure that my cartridges (so far) seem to require for full cleaning.

It seems all cartridges now include that white lube strip, which may be useful but mostly just seems to force the blades closer together.
This is why I hated shaving with carts. After the first pass I spent more time smashing it against the sink to declog than I did shaving.
A straight razor never clogs!!

Apparently that means Tri-Flexxx cartridges won't fit it either. Because I think Halfblade is right: it does look like a Gillette Sensor clone. Here's a helpful image from another thread right here in B & B:

View attachment 1383335

See also Worth Point:

View attachment 1383339

A search for an exact SuperMax matching handle struck out, but the cartridge looks very close.

So apparently that's the answer, after all: it's a clone of a Gillette Sensor.

As for whether I'll actually like using it, I don't remember, but the advice about the Mach3 being easier to rinse out does count. I may start there.

Thanks, all, for the assist.
I knew it wasnt the Tri-Flexx, because I have two of them.

I do have a SuperMax made Sensor clone that looks very similar to the one in OP's picture, but I will have to check for an exact match when I get home. That is if I remember to.

Apparently that means Tri-Flexxx cartridges won't fit it either. Because I think Halfblade is right: it does look like a Gillette Sensor clone.
So I got home & checked.

It's not a SuperMax Sensor clone.

The handle doesn't quite match my Triflexx, just as Personna said. The difference between the two is small, but it's there. And my handle isn't a shiny metallic one either.

But the cartridge is very definitely a Triflexx.

Absolutely exactly.

I went back to re-read Personna's reply.

They said that "this is not a Triflexx razor handle." But there's no mention of the cartridge! And that is definitely a Triflexx cartridge!

Very clever response.

In my opinion, Triflexx cartridges should fit.

I also confirmed that the Triflex is a Sensor clone. My Sensor cartridges are very similar. They almost fit the TriFlex handle, but not quite...

Last edited:
Why do you think it's not a Tri Flexx? It looks like an earlier model, the individual at Personna is probably comparing to modern versions. If it's not a Tri Flexx it's a Chinese clone, but I never saw any clones coming out of China in the early noughties.

Top Bottom