What's new

what kind of hair cut do you gents get?

David,

Few questions for you. How/where did you learn to cut your own flat top? I may need to look into doing the same if I decide to keep the flat top I just got. Did it take awhile and possibly some mess ups before you got the hang of it? How short is yours and do you have a landing strip? Mine is pretty much a traditional 50's flat top with no landing strip. I would think that not having a landing strip might make trimming it easier. How often do you clean yours up and how long does it take? Apologize in advance for all the questions, but if I'm going to keep the flat top, I think I'll need an alternative to going to my barber so frequently. I'll have to try the products you mentioned in your post.

I looked it up on Youtube how to create a Flattop. I didn't want to go back to my barber because I don't have the time during the week to get my hair cut. Yeah, I got the landing strip. My hair stands up anyway when it's short, so it was real easy to cut it. Have electric sheers I got from Rite Aid and it works really well. I'll never go back to a barber. It's too easy to cut my hair myself. I add some wax pomade to my hair when it's done, and it's great. I can't tell the difference between my cut and my barbers.

I wait until the hair around my ears start to itch a little, then take my hair clippers and go over my whole head as short as they will clip. Wait about a month or so, and repeat process.

I looked it up on Youtube how to create a Flattop. I didn't want to go back to my barber because I don't have the time during the week to get my hair cut. Yeah, I got the landing strip. My hair stands up anyway when it's short, so it was real easy to cut it. Have electric sheers I got from Rite Aid and it works really well. I'll never go back to a barber. It's too easy to cut my hair myself. I add some wax pomade to my hair when it's done, and it's great. I can't tell the difference between my cut and my barbers.

Appreciate the info, David. I'll have to give that a try.

If I had the time, I would go to the barber to have it cut, but It's hassle with my work schedule. Cutting my own hair super easy with a flattop style cut. The hardest part is cutting the back. I have to hold a mirror at cut away. It's still not that hard to do.

Fully shaved head for me. I rocked a mohawk for years when I was younger (and miss that) but male pattern baldness stole it for me. I think the "skinhead" look is the retirement program for older punk rockers though.

At the age of 52 I'm sporting long hair. Every 4-5 months I go at the hair salon to trim the split ends.

I decided to let my hair grow after realizing that the shorter haircut I have, the more sinister I look. Now, the longer hair I have, the more weirdo I am considered (by the rest of the male population here, so short-haired that they all look like prison inmates to me).

I cut my own hair. Nothing fancy, just clippers with a #5 or #6 guard, then go over the sides and back with a guard that's 1 or 2 sizes smaller. A few touch ups with scissors, and then lastly trimming the hair on the back of my neck. THAT is a pain. One of the times where I really wish I had a S.O. or a roommate that I could ask to help with this sort of thing. I just cut it Friday, and I still don't think the back is perfectly straight. :001_unsur

I tried buying one of those stupid plastic guides on an elastic headband, but the darn thing curves back up worse than if I freehand it using the front camera of my phone and the bathroom mirror. Tried getting a handheld mirror, but it's somehow harder to use than the phone. :a52:

I cut my own hair. Nothing fancy, just clippers with a #5 or #6 guard, then go over the sides and back with a guard that's 1 or 2 sizes smaller. A few touch ups with scissors, and then lastly trimming the hair on the back of my neck. THAT is a pain. One of the times where I really wish I had a S.O. or a roommate that I could ask to help with this sort of thing. I just cut it Friday, and I still don't think the back is perfectly straight. :001_unsur

I tried buying one of those stupid plastic guides on an elastic headband, but the darn thing curves back up worse than if I freehand it using the front camera of my phone and the bathroom mirror. Tried getting a handheld mirror, but it's somehow harder to use than the phone. :a52:

May I suggest my method? Because, before I decided to let my hair grow longer, I've cut my hair myself, unsatisfied with the result from the hairdressers. For about 27 years I've performed hair cutting on my own head, apparently with enough success, because nobody else realized that.

OK. I guess that for front, top of the skull and sides a single mirror is enough. You have one in the bathroom. The tricky part is cutting on the back; for this you'll need a second mirror. Forget a handheld mirror, you'll need both your hands. And let the phone away, too. You'll need to buy a rectangular or square mirror, with the length of the side about 70 centimeters or 28 inches, depending on which country you're in. This mirror will be positioned in front of you and on a side. Your bathroom mirror will be in your back and your butt will touch the sink. Position the second mirror in front of you but on one side, to your left (or right). Looking in this second mirror you'll be able to see your back, your shoulders and the back of your head.
Of course you don't need to held this mirror with your hands, otherwise you couldn't use them for cutting the hair. Now you need to keep this mirror standing still, while you work on the back of your head. Imagine an easel, that wood device used by painters to support the canvas they're working on. You need something with the same functionality, minus that tilt that an easel has. It's up to you to figure a device or an improvisation to keep the mirror vertically near you. It could be a wood pole, or a plastic one put vertically on some stand, with the mirror hanging of fixed somehow at the height of your head. Once you're done with the hair cutting, including in the back of the head, this device could be disassembled and put away in the storage room or garage or whatever you have, until the next use. Also, during the cutting the hair will fall in the sink, so please cover it with a large newspaper or a plastic sheet or something like this.

I don't know if I managed to make myself clear, the English is not my first language. Feel free to ask any other question.

dean.jpeg

I'm still cutting my hair myself. I was sporting a flattop, but I got bored with that style. Now I'm going back to my James Dean look.

View attachment 865646
I'm still cutting my hair myself. I was sporting a flattop, but I got bored with that style. Now I'm going back to my James Dean look.

How long did you sport your flattop before getting bored with it? I've had mine for just over a month. Got it trimmed on Friday. Went a little shorter above my ears and left the top a bit longer than the first time. Think I'm going to continue with the shorter above the ears, but will go back to the shorter top next time. Doing some experimenting with it now, but eventually want to end up with...
Top like this... JRFT.jpg and sides like this... PFT.jpg

My first time...
MESFT (2).jpg 20180203 FT (2).jpg

After first trim...
FTNS.jpg FTN.jpg

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
cardfan:
I get a haircut about every 8-10 days and pay no more than $20US (called a 'high-ball fade' in barber speak),...skin on the sides (which after shaping with fine clippers, then trimmers; he finishes with using his str8 razor for super-sharp lines), 'a little bit' on top, line in front w/ a 'part' on the left side, from my local barber (a.k.a. 'Snap'), with tip. :w00t:

my-haircut-2-jpg.844607
my-haircut-jpg.844611
my-haircut-1-jpg.844610

proxy.php
"You're only as good as your last haircut". Harvey Feldman

Last edited:
At the age of 52 I'm sporting long hair. Every 4-5 months I go at the hair salon to trim the split ends.

I decided to let my hair grow after realizing that the shorter haircut I have, the more sinister I look. Now, the longer hair I have, the more weirdo I am considered (by the rest of the male population here, so short-haired that they all look like prison inmates to me).

This is me. I'll be 62 in a few weeks, and sported a buzz cut (3 on top, 2 on the sides and back) until over three years ago. I haven't had a single hair cut during those three years. I like being an old hippie.

OldSaw

The wife's investment

This is me. I'll be 62 in a few weeks, and sported a buzz cut (3 on top, 2 on the sides and back) until over three years ago. I haven't had a single hair cut during those three years. I like being an old hippie.

I’m an accidental long hair. When I had the flat top I received some negative comments about it from my younger friends. So I tried a skaters cut and a faux hawk. Then I decided I need a little more length before deciding on my next style. Now, after over a year without a cut of any kind, not even a trim, I’m starting to look a little like Buffalo Bill Cody, complete with goatee and handlebar mustache.

I wish I would have started on this look years ago. No one has ever said to me, “nice shave.” But plenty of people will go out of their way to say, “nice mustache!”

You guys are a bad influence... Sixty one just over a week ago, my last haircut and it was perfect, was in the summer of 2016, you just don't mess with perfection.

dave

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
cardfan:
I get a haircut about every 8-10 days and pay no more than $20US (called a 'high-ball fade' in barber speak),...skin on the sides (which after shaping with fine clippers, then trimmers; he finishes with using his [shavette] str8 razor for super-sharp lines), 'a little bit' on top, line in front w/ a 'part' on the left side, from my local barber (a.k.a. 'Snap'), with tip. :w00t:

my-haircut-2-jpg.844607
my-haircut-jpg.844611
my-haircut-1-jpg.844610

proxy.php
"You're only as good as your last haircut". Harvey Feldman
Additional text above in Red.
Eraser - Correction Image.gif

barbershop.jpg
"The barbershop…where a man can come and feel at home. Get a hot towel shave, haircut and a free comb... [...]". Barbershop Rhyme

Last edited:
Top Bottom