What's new

What kind of draw do you prefer in a strop?

My first strop was from razor emporium and has what I guess would be a medium draw. I got a much faster draw strop and it doesn’t really feel like it’s doing anything to the blade. I use very light pressure. Is it just a matter of feel while stropping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Don't worry. As long as the edge is in contact with the strop, it is doing something. Stropping should be done with no added pressure on the blade, just the weight of the blade. Also, hold the strop tight enough so that they is little to no visible deflection in the strop while stropping.

My preference is for a medium to light draw on my leather strops and a light (fast) draw on my chamois strops.

My first strop was from razor emporium and has what I guess would be a medium draw. I got a much faster draw strop and it doesn’t really feel like it’s doing anything to the blade. I use very light pressure. Is it just a matter of feel while stropping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it is purely preference.
You need some pressure when stropping a razor but not much.
Using the lightest touch - weight of razor only is a myth. It gets perpetuated by many on the internet.
Some pressure must be used and a slack strop should be avoided.

I like'em fast. Every strop I've ever used has had it's own character and it's own preference on how it is kept in shape. My boarhide, once it got broke in, stayed great for years with just a little palm rubbing before each use and an occasional damp cloth cleaning, but lately it's been a little sticky and slow. Lather treatments alternated with a damp cloth have been moving the feel in the right direction.

I’ve only used one strop so far, a TM veg tanned horsehide. I’ve been using it daily for almost a year and I can’t seem to break it. It’s described as a fast draw. It feels just right to me.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I would say my Rich Man‘s strop from Whipped Dog has a fast draw. It seems as if the blade just skims with little resistance. I don’t have much to compare, but it seems to be giving me good results. Ive only had it a few months so I imagine as the leather conditions things may slow over time? By the looks of this substantial strop, I imagine it will take a long time.

Fast is best for me.
I really dislike a strop that grabs at all. I had a Latigo strops years ago but quickly got rid of it. I hated the draw.
I had an English Bridle gifted to me me and within short order the draw started to get heavier.
I gave it a good sanding and a wipe of 70% alcohol and it is much nicer to use.

I have an old strop I restored and in doing so I treated the leather with Tuxan leather conditioner. The result was rejuvenated leather with a heavy draw. I like the heavy draw because it gives me the feeling it's doing something. I have two other natural leather strops that are fast but I feel they are not doing much. This of course is non-sense, the stropping works, but it's a feeling thing.

I started with a WCS Latigo. It was all I knew and it was great.

Then I got a Tony Miller Steerdovan, which had a significantly lighter draw. At that point I would have said I liked a heavy draw. But as I used the Steerdovan, I found myself preferring it to the Latigo. At that point I would have said I liked a "medium" draw (at least lighter than the Latigo).

Then I got a vintage Illinois Shell that had a still lighter draw. Again I preferred the draw of the Steerdovan. But as I've gotten the Illinois conditioned and loosened up, I'm liking it more and more.

So perhaps I like a lighter draw after all? Still learning ...

And yes, it's a preference in the "feel" while stropping. All (real) strops do a good job of aligning/refining the edge.

Strop pulled tight enough that it doesn't "bend" much when stropping, light to medium pressure, and go at your own pace. You'll get faster (and the strop will get smoother) with practice. Make sure you strop the entire edge, as some people miss either the heel or the toe when they speed up.

Top Bottom