What's new

What kind of brush is this?

I've had 2 brushes that I received as gifts about 15 yrs ago. I need to get a new one and want to get one that performs well for me. The one with the brown handle is my favorite. It's soft and holds just the right amount of water. Does this look like a silvertip? The one with the white handle I don't like as much. It's firmer and retains a lot of water. Can anybody tell by the pics what kind of hair these two are? I want to get one similar to the brown handle brush but not spend for a silvertip unnecessarily. Thanks.

IMG_6515.JPG

Thanks. I thought boar was coarse and stiff.
Anyway, can anybody tell by looking at the bigger brush what grade badger hair it is?

I do not think we can tell you with great accuracy the grade of hair in your current brush.. However, sounds as if you would enjoy a silvertip.

There are now synthetic silvertips sold by Jagger, and Muhle, and of course many excellent badger brushes.

I am sure you will get many specific suggestions.

Good luck..

I do not think we can tell you with great accuracy the grade of hair in your current brush.. However, sounds as if you would enjoy a silvertip.

There are now synthetic silvertips sold by Jagger, and Muhle, and of course many excellent badger brushes.

I am sure you will get many specific suggestions.

Good luck..
I second the synthetic part... The two I have are great, with plenty of backbone, but not stiff at all. They are soft to the touch and don't hold water like boars do.

Beyond the 2 synths, I also have a boar. I swear the Boar will stay damp for days and days. The boar is also very stiff and scratchy. Don't get me wrong, it works wonderfully. But, at this point, I think I prefer the synthetics... hands down.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I've had 2 brushes that I received as gifts about 15 yrs ago. I need to get a new one and want to get one that performs well for me. The one with the brown handle is my favorite. It's soft and holds just the right amount of water. Does this look like a silvertip? The one with the white handle I don't like as much. It's firmer and retains a lot of water. Can anybody tell by the pics what kind of hair these two are? I want to get one similar to the brown handle brush but not spend for a silvertip unnecessarily. Thanks.

They are definitely not boar. Probably badger - no telling what grade. Possibly horse but probably not.
The brown handled one looks to have been a little abused like it has been crushed repeatedly and the center is deformed. It is certainly more worn than the other which is why it produces more water in use.
A nice badger knot is fairly inexpensive - less than 30.00
Nice handles!

Top Bottom