What's new

What job do you have and do you like it?

Gentlemen,

I know this is covered in the Hall of Fame entries but I was wondering what the fellow forum members do in their professional lives and whether they like their job.

I'm currently working for a big managed security services company where I am the team leader of 2 teams of security analysts (one team in Belgium, another one in Luxemburg), in total about 36 people. I love my job cause IT security is a never ending story which gets more interesting every day and because of the possibility to work with some very talented security professionals all over the world.

So, what do you do and do you like your job?

Well, I am a seafood clerk at my local grocery chain. I can't say it's the greatest job in the world but it does help pay the bill's. The main thing I hate about it is the fact that we have to cook the fish for customers who ask us to. And let me tell you that it can be quite frackin' annoying having to cook over and over again for people who are too lazy to do it themselves. Needless to say I am currently in the market for a new job. And have a promising lead for a position at a Architect firm in the IT department. Keep your fingers crossed.

I'm a Senior Software Engineer with a Government contractor. I mainly program ASP.NET web applications. I like it a lot. Our company is a non-profit so the atmosphere is more relaxed than the regular companies I've worked for in the past. I love writing code, it's a constant challenge.

I'm an electronic test process technician.

Basically I troubleshoot test issues, as well as setup and maintain the test equipment on site.

It can be a prety fun job at times. There is lots of learning, and the work isn't all that hard most of the time. Of course when things go sideways, it gets pretty bad though.

Very long working hours though. I currently work 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. Once things smooth out though, I should be back onto a more normal 5-day, 10 hour schedule.

I'm a software engineer, currently contracted to a healthcare firm. I'm mainly doing Unix/SQL work right now, which I love - when I actually get time to work on it! Our team is pretty small so a lot of other issues come into play and I don't always get into the code as much as I'd like.

The main problem with my current situation is that, as a contractor, I have to go where they tell me! I'm currently driving about 2.5 hours a day for work.

I'm a professor of music education at a large midwestern university :)biggrin:), mostly involved with music teacher preparation. Before that I was a high school music teacher and assistant principal for 10 years.

I have one of the 5 best jobs in the world for what I do, and I wake up every morning thankful for the opportunity to do what I do. At least until I get to one of the endless string of faculty and committee meetings that seems to make up most of my job!:mad:

This is not me, but what a poor, unlucky chap. I think that he was "overqualified" for everything else that was available.

Must have stepped on some mighty powerful toes...

-joedy

hello all thought i would join in on this thread i alway find it interesting to hear what other people do for a living and what they think about it. i have been a cop for 7 years now and have done most everything you could do in this field. i am currently the administrator of a detention facility. (quite an honor considering i am only 25). however i have found that while the pay and hours are great admin work is ALOT less fun than field or even supervisor duties.

also i have recently opened my own buisiness a buy sell trade video game and dvd store. i really enjoy working there and my wife and i often go to our store even on the few off days we have (when our employees are running the store.) so wish me luck with that as well.

I'm President of an internet start-up aimed at improving the efficiency of on-line advertising through advanced distribution of personalized content to users.

The job that actually pays the bills is bio-mechanical engineer at a large medical device/pharmacology firm. I'm lead mechanical engineer of a medical device project.

I work as a seller/assembler on the local IKEA store here in Linköping Sweden. Have been doing this for just about 5 years. Really like my job, but the pay could be better (it can ALWAYS be better:biggrin: )

Before I became a seller at IKEA I work as a chef for 12 years, loved that job but it is really hard on your body....and mind..

gc_30286 said:
so your a ... spammer? :angry: :biggrin:

matthew

Oh, not at all. I dispise spam. We're building a system, which in an odd, very loose sort of similarity, resembles Amazon's suggestion engine. It's quite useful.

Chagidiel said:
I work as a seller/assembler on the local IKEA store here in Linköping Sweden. Have been doing this for just about 5 years. Really like my job, but the pay could be better (it can ALWAYS be better:biggrin: )

Before I became a seller at IKEA I work as a chef for 12 years, loved that job but it is really hard on your body....and mind..

You must be very handy with an Allen Wrench.:biggrin:

I work part time at a grocery store in the freezer section. I do not love the job but it is not that difficult they have flexible hours and the pay is good for a part time job.

The reason I only work part time is that I am going to school full time to become a teacher. I have five semesters remaining. I enjoy going to school but I can not wait to be finished so I can start teaching. I am hoping to teach at the middle school level and I will have endorsements in all subject areas so hopefully it will be easy to fnd a job.

My long term goal is to eventually get my masters so that I can teach in a college setting and eventually a Ph.D. But we'll see how I feel about that in a few years.:001_unsur

I'm the Internet Manager at Hendrick Porsche. www.hendrickporsche.com

I have been with this company for 16 years. I LOVE my job but I am getting old and considering retirement. I work from home about 3 or 4 days a week. I hang around the dealership the rest of the time. I also do odd jobs for the company like interview and select the Porsch models.:001_tt1:

Yes, I am a lucky SOB:001_tt2:

tonyespo said:
I'm the Internet Manager at Hendrick Porsche. www.hendrickporsche.com

I have been with this company for 16 years. I LOVE my job but I am getting old and considering retirement. I work from home about 3 or 4 days a week. I hang around the dealership the rest of the time. I also do odd jobs for the company like interview and select the Porsch models.:001_tt1:

Yes, I am a lucky SOB:001_tt2:

So Tony, how did you come to find yourself with such a fun job?

I'm a Systems Software Engineer for a startup that makes Application Integration Appliances. Generally I work on the high-availability part of the product and get to do some Linux kernel work as well :biggrin: .

I really enjoy engineering.

Top Bottom