What's new

What jeans/denim do you wear?

I find that series Levis (501, 505, etc) fight too slim/tight. I grew up running the mountains so I've got thick legs and... glutes... and just trying to slip a pair of 501s on cuts off the circulation. The Levi Signature stuff that is available at Walmart fit me ok but I've found that, for a few dollars less, the Wranglers at Walmart fit even better.

I was at TJ Maxx a few weeks ago and came across a pair of Lucky Brand in my size. Having heard so much praise for them, I tried them on. They did fit nicely and were comfortable, but I found them too be 'stretchy'. I was concerned about their durability so I hung them back up...

Surprisingly, my favorite jeans (which I'm currently wearing) are a pair that came from Steve & Barry's in a pinch (stopped for breakfast on the way to a car show last March and my daughter dumped an entire glass of chocolate milk in my lap) for around $9. Unfortunately, by time I realized how well they fit me and how much I liked them, the store had closed down...

So to answer your question, at the moment, I guess Wrangler.

Last edited:
Levi's 550's. I have the same problem as Ceezer. I literally cannot fit a leg into 501's. I have to buy them four sizes up just to find a pair that fit's my tree trunks. The 550's are the relaxed fit kind so they fit the waist but still allow my legs room to move without crushing my huevos everytime I take a step.

I also have a thick leg problem. I've been studying martial arts since I was 5, and my original style focused on the belief that upper body strength stemmed from the lower body, so I've always worked my legs something fierce. As such, I have very muscular calves and thighs. Looking at the jeans (which I just took off), I remember that I have always had to buy jeans that were 2 inches too big in the waist to fit my legs, and have the waist tailored in a bit. I (now) wear Levi's 559.

Wrangler Pro Rodeo. I used to wear Levi's, but I don't care for their stance on hunting...

I won't comment further in the interest of not hijacking this thread...

Used to be Levi's 501s when they were U.S. made. Now I only wear Lucky Brand denim jeans. I usually pick up a pair during the 50% off sale about once a year.

American Eagle are the best fit for me in terms of cost & comfort. Low rise, boot cut.

I will mention this for consideration, in all honesty, the best pair of jeans I have ever owned, is hands down by Diesel. Before you balk, consider, yes, very pricey, but worth every penny. Its the equivalent rationale to spending alot of money on the best high end shave soap. But if you ever have the opportunity slip a pair on ... if just once, I highly recommend it, and you will know what I am talking about.
Just dont look at the price tag :ohmy:
But Diesel jeans will deliver on all levels for cut, comfort, style & quality..

For high durability, Carhartt. In-between, Wrangler. For style/comfort, Concepts by Claiborne (one pair I SWEAR is as comfortable as my sweats).

Mike in Michigan

Several kinds...Calvin Klein, Levis, Underworld....but at the moment it's Kirkland! Probably my favorite at the moment (and the cheapest).

For my blue dungarees I wear A.P.C. New Standards. For my white jeans, I've only been able to find them in Levi's 501.

Banana Republic, A&F, Lucky, Seven for all mankind, AE, Gap...

I don't really stick to one particular brand. I tend to buy what looks/fits well.

2nd Kirkland brand. At $13 a pant....cannot argue with the price.

Also wear some older Calvin Klein jeans, but they're dying a slow death right now. Still have a pair of 501s from my teenage years. Amazingly they still fit. Have two 505s, but find the fit to be kind of iffy. One fits well, the other...not so much.

Just bought a 501 STF. Best fit from new jeans I've had so far. Quite pleased with them, think I'm going to buy another pair. Wondering if I should get black or another dark indigo.

I have always been a fan of politix jeans. I have had one pair for 8 years now and are still going strong...

Lately i have just gone to the ones that fit me well; Levi's, G-star, diesel etc

Kirkland Brand for me. I don't see the need to pay more for a pair of jeans when the Costco brands does the job.

Kirkland Brand for me. I don't see the need to pay more for a pair of jeans when the Costco brands does the job.

And it's not like you are "settling" for something that is just adequate "at the price" -- they are at least as good (I think better) than the Levis. They are worth *more* but cost less.

V

VR6ofpain

It is interesting to hear other men have had that "big thigh problem" with 501 and 505's. I have never been able to wear those jeans. I found if I went up an inch or two in waist I could, but the thigh area was still tight and I had too big of a waist. I never could figure out why people liked them and how some guys could pull them off really well.

I always thought it was because I was heavy (up through high school), but I lost a lot of weight in my college years, getting down to a point where people called me skinny. Even at that time I still could not pull them off. The same problem of tight thighs plagued me. I just figured I must have "thick thighs" or something. This had me purchasing first 569's, then later 559's (moving away for 'loose' jeans), then eventually 527's (low rise boot cut). I liked them for years, but something happened while on vacation for a couple weeks about a month ago. Maybe I put on a couple pounds, but all of a sudden they were just too uncomfortable. The 517's seem to have the great boot opening, more slender fit, but still plenty of thigh and crotch space for comfort. This combined with the super dark unfaded blue was a winner combo.

For the record I also have a few pairs of Lucky (the USA-made Boot Cut 181 jean), and a part of Bananna Republic jeans. I find them all nice, but there is something about the thickness and fit I have always liked about Levis. The Lucky brand jeans are super soft and comfy, since they have a very small amount of spandex (4% I think) in them, but it makes you worry they could tear (hasn't happened yet, knock on wood).

B

bluefoxicy

I am curious what type of jeans you gents wear? I have always felt I was a sort of Levis man, as I appreciate their story/history and build quality. Obviously I would rather they make all their jeans in the USA (only some of their top end "Capital E" ones still are), but obviously that would push the price up a bit and limit their overall sales and market penetration.

Levis made the original riveted jeans IIRC, and they're armor. They protect you from sharp objects, jagged metal, power tools, etc. These things were produced for coal miners, because a coal mine is a hazardous wasteland filled with jagged rocks, falls onto jagged rocks, pick axes, saws, bent up rusty metal crap that sticks out of places, other discarded junk, and support beams with nails poking out.

I've been a Land's End fan for a while for khakis though and have been investigating their denim offerings.... I do prefer Levis though, in general.

Top Bottom