What's new

What I've learned in my short return to the leaf

I've only been back to pipe smoking for a few weeks, after a 35-year break, and I have already learned more here in that short time than in my past smoking adventures.

I'm a vaper, and used e-cigs to quit smoking cigarettes. Initially, I was trying to find a e-juice that tasted like a menthol cigarette, but quickly realized that it didn't exist. I settled on bakery and candy flavors, and that worked. One of my favorite flavors to vape is still vanilla custard.

So...when I dug out my old pipes, and was gifted some in a PIF here, I set about looking for a vanilla tobacco, and bought several aromatics. But a funny thing happened (much like my vaping experience), I found that a tobacco that smoked like my vanilla custard e-cig doesn't really exist, and I find that I am now drawn to the old standards.

More and more I am enjoying the less heavily flavored tobaccos like Carter Hall and SWR. They pack, burn, and smoke great, and are still mild enough for me (an admitted over-puffer) to avoid the bite. In fact, they seem to smoke far milder than the aromatics - very, very nice and satisfying.

I still have jars of vanilla, and will continue to enjoy the sweet candy-store indulgence of a bowl of Sutliff Z92 vanilla custard without feeling that I am somehow "cheating", but I have come to appreciate the others for what they bring: a nice, flavorful, no frills smoking experience.

The other minor revelation: I love cobs. I get an amazing smoke from a sub-$10 pipe. I find myself often reaching for my MM Washington or Legend for my evening smoke on the back deck...what a fantastic value...though I need to get some acrylic stems soon as mine are already showing some wear.

GPJoe, I posted something similar after I'd been back to the pipe for six months: What I've learned, 6 mos. after returning to the pipe - https://tinyurl.com/2s4kxm3j Like you I have come to prefer the "codger" blends like Carter Hall, Sir Walter and his cousin R.O. Matic, Granger, Match Field & Stream, Prince Albert, and Half & Half. I've tried, and like, Virginias and Va blends; my jury is still out on English blends and ones with perique. Nor have I tried a cob. One hardwood from MM; that's it so far.

There is a very good reason why, like Barbasol and Palmolive and the like in the shaving world, these codger or drugstore blends are still around. They sell, and they sell because they work!

GPJoe, I posted something similar after I'd been back to the pipe for six months: What I've learned, 6 mos. after returning to the pipe - https://tinyurl.com/2s4kxm3j Like you I have come to prefer the "codger" blends like Carter Hall, Sir Walter and his cousin R.O. Matic, Granger, Match Field & Stream, Prince Albert, and Half & Half. I've tried, and like, Virginias and Va blends; my jury is still out on English blends and ones with perique. Nor have I tried a cob. One hardwood from MM; that's it so far.

There is a very good reason why, like Barbasol and Palmolive and the like in the shaving world, these codger or drugstore blends are still around. They sell, and they sell because they work!

Thanks for posting. My next rookie question was going to be: "What other tobaccos/blends smoke similar to Carter Hall?"...which has become one of my favorites.

You provided some without me having to ask. 🙂

Thanks for posting. My next rookie question was going to be: "What other tobaccos/blends smoke similar to Carter Hall?"...which has become one of my favorites.

You provided some without me having to ask. 🙂
Most of the ones I listed are indeed similar to CH. Half & Half is a bit of an outlier, and you may or may not like it. It's part burley, part "bright" Virginia leaf (members of the BL more knowledgeable than I can explain what "bright" Virginia leaf is). And it's spiced with cardamom, coriander, and anise -- which sounds like a law firm, I know. I like it, and many others over decades have too. But it is polarizing -- an acquired taste.

I did already purchase a pouch of Half & Half. It was one of the few that I found locally. I smoked one bowl of it a few weeks ago, when I was still searching for the perfect vanilla (which it is not, of course) so it was a $7 shot in the dark. I wasn't terribly impressed with it, but will certainly revisit it soon.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I did already purchase a pouch of Half & Half. It was one of the few that I found locally. I smoked one bowl of it a few weeks ago, when I was still searching for the perfect vanilla (which it is not, of course) so it was a $7 shot in the dark. I wasn't terribly impressed with it, but will certainly revisit it soon.
Half & Half, to me is ok, but it's like the "Bud light" version of pipe tobacco.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I've only been back to pipe smoking for a few weeks, after a 35-year break, and I have already learned more here in that short time than in my past smoking adventures.

I'm a vaper, and used e-cigs to quit smoking cigarettes. Initially, I was trying to find a e-juice that tasted like a menthol cigarette, but quickly realized that it didn't exist. I settled on bakery and candy flavors, and that worked. One of my favorite flavors to vape is still vanilla custard.

So...when I dug out my old pipes, and was gifted some in a PIF here, I set about looking for a vanilla tobacco, and bought several aromatics. But a funny thing happened (much like my vaping experience), I found that a tobacco that smoked like my vanilla custard e-cig doesn't really exist, and I find that I am now drawn to the old standards.

More and more I am enjoying the less heavily flavored tobaccos like Carter Hall and SWR. They pack, burn, and smoke great, and are still mild enough for me (an admitted over-puffer) to avoid the bite. In fact, they seem to smoke far milder than the aromatics - very, very nice and satisfying.

I still have jars of vanilla, and will continue to enjoy the sweet candy-store indulgence of a bowl of Sutliff Z92 vanilla custard without feeling that I am somehow "cheating", but I have come to appreciate the others for what they bring: a nice, flavorful, no frills smoking experience.

The other minor revelation: I love cobs. I get an amazing smoke from a sub-$10 pipe. I find myself often reaching for my MM Washington or Legend for my evening smoke on the back deck...what a fantastic value...though I need to get some acrylic stems soon as mine are already showing some wear.

Welcome back home. I've seen this a lot over the years, as older smokers, having made the journey to smoke everything across the globe, eventually gravitate back to the simple American classics. They're an easy, dependable, good tasting option in a daily. Very little fuss, not too expensive, and you can puff them all day long. These are 'meat and potato' recipes ... and that's a good thing most days. Ignore the tobacco snobs. These are good blends. Their lower prices are not because they are 'cheap' blends, it's because of economies of scale. Millions still smoke these old timers.

You're already smoking two of the best. Others to consider in that neighborhood are Prince Albert (PA), LLRR (Lane Limited Ready Rubbed, formerly Edgeworth), and Granger. Unfortunately, many of these are no longer available in pouch sizes, so it's a bigger commitment when you buy them. But if you like SWR, neither should offend you. PA is still available in many traditional local outlets, but be aware it is now being processed in the DR. LLRR is typically a mail order purchase, and is getting harder to find. LLRR is richer and less sweet than SWR, and PA is somewhere between the two. Granger is a sleeper blend, a straight, solid and simple Burley that smokes above its budget price in my book.

As mentioned, H&H is a bit polarizing; some absolutely love it, others not so much. I like it and smoke it as an occasional change from my usual standards.

Sutliff also offers a number of match blends on these, and for many other now defunct classics, including Revelation, Field & Stream, Rum & Maple, and Model. And they can be bought in mixed quantities up to a full pound bag. But my experience is that in cut and flavor a match will only approach the original recipes in many cases. Still good tobacco, and still of the general category of "Codger".

Some mom & pop tobacco vendors also blend codger classic matches in-house. Milan Tobacconists out of Roanoke is one such shop, with matches for Walnut, Sugar Barrel, Kentucky Club, and many others.

Slightly astride the big classics, a couple others to eventually sample are Edward G. Robinson Mixture (EGR) and Mixture 79. I much prefer EGR over 79. But some do like the latter.

And if you want a very nice, very light aromatic in this classic genre, one towers over all in my book. That is SWRA.

For a nice tour de force of many of the various American classics of the golden era, wander through the pages of the Codger Cabin. Many are seen there, including a few now obscure long-gone "dodo" blends that are worth hunting for.

It remains for me the one tobacco that always leaves me with a unique scent impression (and one I like). Many of the burley blends and Virginias are almost interchangeable to my nose. (Note that I said almost -- and I like them too.) But H & H stands out.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I second the vote on Field & Stream match.
I like and smoke frequently Captain Black (Royal slightly more so than regular), Prince Albert, Granger, Carter Hall, and both versions of Sir Walter Raleigh.
A mix of 50/50 Captain Black and Prince Albert is great.
I'll smoke Borkum Riff and Half & Half but not as much as the others.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I like and smoke frequently Captain Black (Royal slightly more so than regular), Prince Albert, Granger, Carter Hall, and both versions of Sir Walter Raleigh.

... the "Black Prince".

Someday, I'll have to land lock a pouch of the Captain and see.

I was able to pick up a pouch of Mixture 79 locally, so maybe I'll fit that into today's rotation.
Gets a lot of hate but I love that blend.

Leave it open for a while and make sure it’s dry before smoking it. I left the 14oz opened for days.

That heavy boozy note subsides and you get a warm vanilla with a slightly alcoholic undertone.

While it won't match up to a vape juice flavor, the best vanilla blend I have found so far, after trying a bunch, is Mac Baren's Vanilla Roll Cake. If you are still looking for a smooth easy smoking vanilla blend that isn't wet and goopy, that one is a great choice.

While it won't match up to a vape juice flavor, the best vanilla blend I have found so far, after trying a bunch, is Mac Baren's Vanilla Roll Cake. If you are still looking for a smooth easy smoking vanilla blend that isn't wet and goopy, that one is a great choice.

Funny but that was one already on my radar. I've seen a lot of reviews saying that it is the one with the most natural vanilla, and still allows the tobacco to shine. I was planning to get a tin with my next order.

I've never smoked tobacco coins, and wondering how to get the best first impression - rub some out, or just smoke the coins?

Funny but that was one already on my radar. I've seen a lot of reviews saying that it is the one with the most natural vanilla, and still allows the tobacco to shine. I was planning to get a tin with my next order.

I've never smoked tobacco coins, and wondering how to get the best first impression - rub some out, or just smoke the coins?
I usually roll them into loose balls and drop them into the bowl, with any loose bits sprinkled on the top. Just rubbing out 2-3 coins to load the pipe works just as well, if one prefers to go that route.

CB Royal and PA mix?

Top Bottom