What's new

what items are most important for a beginner?

i am reluctant to get a straight because I don't quite know exactly what is most important to buy. Should I invest the better portion of the starting cash into a good razor, a good strop, a pasted paddle strop, hones, all of them?

What would be the best to start out with for each category. Not necessarily cheapest, but most effective that you won't grow out of.

If you get a really nice (new) razor, what are the chances of damaging it by practicing honing on it? Should you get a cheap one just to practice honing?

Do you need a pasted strop? If so, what microns?

What is the linen on a hanging strop for? Do you need to treat the leather on a hanging strop?

Razors: New vs Old

I have found recommendations for everything from all different people so it is confusing as to exactly what someone needs to begin. That is why I just picked up a feather ac.

obsessis said:
i am reluctant to get a straight because I don't quite know exactly what is most important to buy. Should I invest the better portion of the starting cash into a good razor, a good strop, a pasted paddle strop, hones, all of them?

What would be the best to start out with for each category. Not necessarily cheapest, but most effective that you won't grow out of.

If you get a really nice (new) razor, what are the chances of damaging it by practicing honing on it? Should you get a cheap one just to practice honing?

Do you need a pasted strop? If so, what microns?

What is the linen on a hanging strop for? Do you need to treat the leather on a hanging strop?

Razors: New vs Old

I have found recommendations for everything from all different people so it is confusing as to exactly what someone needs to begin. That is why I just picked up a feather ac.

I was in the same position as you and asking the same questions in the past few months. I only started shaving with a straight this week, but I'l tell you what I did.

I bought several razors on eBay to restore since late last fall. I don't have the time or money right now to take up honing right now, but I recieved a generous offer from a honemeister to sharpen two of them and get me into a usable, second-hand strop. I'm guessing that if you put out a request over at SRP, you'll get a generous offer to help get you started.

As for my newbie answers to your newbie questions:

Spend the most on the razor. A functional strop can be had fairly cheaply. For that matter, so can the razor if you score an old one off of eBay. Don't get a hone right now. Have the razor honed by someone in the know. Wait until you are proficient at shaving with a straight and know what a well honed razor is.

Don't worry about strop pastes yet. Just get a simple paddle or hanging strop. The linen on the hanging strop is a more aggressive stropping surface to use if needed before finishing on the smooth leather. As for treating the strop, Neet's (sp?) Foot Oil seems to be a popular product, but only use if the strop is too dry.

Old vs. New comes down to personal preference. Some of the best shavers out there are from companies that aren't around any longer, or don't make straights anymore. I like the idea of using something that was sitting in someones bathroom before TV, cell phones, and automobiles. That said, there are still some nice razors being made today. The Dovo Special can be had for about $65.

There you have it. My $0.02.

Top Bottom