What's new

What is your worst blade?

How so many people say Derby is the worst!
Confusing, isn't it?
If people would say which Derby they didn't like things would be much clearer.
If people dislike Derby Extra then say "Derby Extra", not just "Derby".
Derby Premium and Derby Usta are great blades imho.

Confusing, isn't it?
If people would say which Derby they didn't like things would be much clearer.
If people dislike Derby Extra then say "Derby Extra", not just "Derby".
Derby Premium and Derby Usta are great blades imho.
hmm... sorry, I mean especially Derby extra,but probably some people say Derby including also premium. I have no experience of any Derby, but a few people say Premium is just slightly better than Extra,or almost same worthless.
I don't know well about Usta, but this is still Derby,I think.

I think many blades are dependent on the equipment. Using a Gillette Slim I can say few blades are terrible, but others superior. My favorite is Polsilver and Merkur the least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought some Schick blades made in Germany that I bought while I visited Colombia.
They are very bad, only razor that I can give a halfway decent shave is a Muhle R 41, two or three shaves tops!

Pre - 2016 Derby Extra blades are pretty bad for me, they seem rough and dull in every razor I have tried.

However, newer(post - 2016) Derby Extra are ok for me and Derby Premium are among my favorite blades. Derby USTA's are also pretty good for me(seem similar to Derby Premium's). I consistently will get 10+ great super comfortable shaves from Derby Premium

Because of someone’s post on this thread I ended up revisiting the derby extra and do still agree with the majority it’s the worst blade I have ever used. Now that said I think I have figured out how to make it “usable”.

The basic idea is pretend it’s a blade that one uses in the same way I’ve used cartridges ( loads of pressure )

Once you get used to it, it becomes vaguely usable ( so there is a sweet spot btwn enough pressure to shave and not too much pressure to give you burn ).

To be honest I realized this not really because of the derby extra but because that works on all blades particularly on the beard region - and once you realize what to feel for you can adapt almost any blade intuitively. (This is not to say all blades are the same, but rather there is a path to get at least your DFS)

The extra almost suffers from same issue as feather from the opposite direction. With the feather you do need a light touch or you’ll be raw, here you need a heavy touch or it doesn’t do anything.

That said monetarily it doesn’t really make sense with US prices but I am sure there is a local market where it’s a cost effective usablish blade for people

I will say that Derby Premiums in my GC Jaws took my overgrown sideburns down to DFS in one swipe. I'll try them on the rest of my face tomorrow.

That having been said, the worst blade I used is the Merkur. Awful.

Top Bottom