What's new

What is your view of buying vintage cologne?

I know a lot of the pre ban stuff is coveted. However I think it could go bad if not stored properly. Would you blind buy vintage off an auction site, or only in person? Have you come across vintage that’s gone bad? Is there a certain time period you aim for?

I blind bought some vintage Moustache rochas which should arrive next week

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Bought vintage Paco Rabanne; it was definitely stronger.

Boxed, didn't worry.

I've also acquired a ton of vintage Avon aftershaves and colognes, none were spoiled.

Unless a bottle has been in the sun, it's a minimal risk, I think.

AA

I have had mixed results. Most of them were just fine and one of them had turned. As @Ad Astra said, if it was stored in the dark it should be just fine. A full bottle is better because it means there was less air in the bottle to interact with the cologne over the years. Also, a dark tinted bottle is safer than a clear one.

Last edited:
I have bought a handful or so of vintage frags on eBay and will continue to. I have had a couple of bottles where the sprayer is defective, either sticky or shoots a stream. So far I haven't gotten an bottle where the juice has gone off. I think that people naturally keep fragrance bottles indoors, out of direct sunlight and away from heat sources. With that being followed fragrances can last decades and still be fine.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Good advice above. I buy vintage cologne often and have never been disappointed; in general I find them far superior than the modern versions in every respect. My oldest colognes are 50's and 60's and they are superb. I have had a couple I suspected may have been refilled with modern product but I don't let it put me off; a few duds are a price worth paying to find the gems.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I wouldn't buy vintage. For a start, I wouldn't know whether it smells right or not. Besides which, there's a myriad of current options to explore. Easier to just buy a current product, as at least I know that I can replace it when I need to, and it will smell the same.

I have bought over 100 bottles that were between 20-100 years old and only had problems with a handful (usually it is a faulty sprayer or top notes being completely missing). There are no guarantees, but the success rate is pretty high. Also, you get to smell the perfume in its original formula.

Most stuff that was on the market pre-2005 and still available nowadays has been reformulated and destroyed by the ever increasing IFRA ingredient restrictions, particularly anything with oakmoss.

I have had mixed results. Most of them were just fine and one of them had turned. As @Ad Astra said, if it was stored in the dark it should be just fine. A full bottle is better because it means there was less air in the bottle to interact with the cologne over the years. Also, a dark tinted bottle is safer than a clear one.
So true ....it's a crap shoot...If the seller guarantees the condition it's worth buying....

Lots of vintage buys here. Only one bottle was bad. I think it was a refill attempt. In any case, sometimes vintage is the only way to go.

Mostly Avon here, from garage sales, antique shops and from eBay. Usually a bit weak but still worth it. Most of my designer frags are 90's and older. Few from the present day. Not too crazy about the modern stuff. Can only recall Dolce&Gabbana Light Blue Intense and Calvin Klein Obsession Night from the past few years--those two are nice.

There's an ebay seller that specializes in decants of vintage stuff. I bought a very small vial of 70's Hai Karate for $12. Not an exceptional deal but it's good for sampling and getting an idea of what you can expect before you invest in a pricey bottle.

I have more concerns about out and out fraud than I do about condition. Usual buyer beware warnings. I have had good luck so far.

The vintage stuff generally is better.

as above, a crap shoot. some will be great. consider that the top notes will have suffered over time.
i have a couple over 30 yrs old that are fabulous.

old colognes.jpg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I know a lot of the pre ban stuff is coveted. However I think it could go bad if not stored properly. Would you blind buy vintage off an auction site, or only in person? Have you come across vintage that’s gone bad? Is there a certain time period you aim for?

I blind bought some vintage Moustache rochas which should arrive next week
Except for straight razors, I don’t buy vintage anything. I’ve actually come to hate that word.

I do not know that "vintage" seems over used to me. I cannot think of another word that quite captures the same meaning as what we use it for around here. (It means something a bit different for wine, of course.)

Top Bottom