What's new

What is Your Smoothest Razor Against the Grain?

I seem to have the most trouble going against the grain and the problem is that the razor jumps sometimes leaving me with irritation and weepers if I'm not very careful. About two weeks ago I got a Ti Timeless .95 SB and it's so much smoother atg than anything else I've used so far.

Do you notice a difference in smoothness when going atg with different razors and if so, what's the smoothest razor you've used atg? If there is something better than the Timeless I'd be interested in checking it out.

It's tough to say for sure, but I would say my Parker Variant on the 1.5 setting does a great job for XTG and ATG passes. My Ikon 102 Slant is good as well. I just recently bought the .68 SB base plate for my Timeless, so I need to do more testing with that before I can say for sure.

Any razor in my current six razor rotation shaves smoothly against the grain, that's why they are in my rotation.The smoothest, by a small margin, is my Feather AS-D2 with a Feather blade.

I find that the ATG pass sorts out the keepers from the also-rans & that the ATG pass is essential for a really close shave. If a razor feels a bit "tuggy" during the ATG pass on my neck, even if my skin isn't irritated post shave, ingrown hairs always follow.

Any razor in my current six razor rotation shaves smoothly against the grain, that's why they are in my rotation.The smoothest, by a small margin, is my Feather AS-D2 with a Feather blade.

I find that the ATG pass sorts out the keepers from the also-rans & that the ATG pass is essential for a really close shave. If a razor feels a bit "tuggy" during the ATG pass on my neck, even if my skin isn't irritated post shave, ingrown hairs always follow.

I feel the same way about atg passes. I can take almost any razor and do just fine wtg and xtg. When it comes to atg though, the good razors really separate themselves from the rest on the atg pass.

Toss up for me between the Gillette New Short Comb and the Feather AS-D2. The ridge in that short comb baseplate clamps the blade along it's entire length. A rigid blade is key to atg comfort imo.

I really the Merkur straight bar head design. Maybe it's the chrome plating that improves the glide for me. The safety bar is a little sharper of an angle and makes it harder to nick yourself.

Top Bottom