What's new

What is your set up for traveling

Fly- cartridge and Barbasol
Drive- Gillette Tech (pre war), Cella, Simpson Special brush, Nivea sensitive balm.

I’ve made a few brushes with a ~1” chunk of soap stick (currently LaToja) inside the handle and a synthetic knot. Razor is a cheap disposable cartridge if I am flying with carry-on, Friodur 472 or CVH Royal Kindal (both 6/8 stainless straights) if checking luggage.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Check out this thread, too

My travel set up:
Lord L6 razor
Send blades to first hotel
Simpsons Wee Scot brush
La Toja stick (works in any water I have tried)
Small plastic container with AS
:thumbup::thumbup:

I travel with a cheap plastic razor, typically a 2-blade thing from a 10-pack I cop from my wife’s bottom drawer. I use whatever face soap the hotel provides.

While I have a relatively tough beard this approach gives me the same smooth shave I get with all my fancy stuff at home. My personal opinion is that modern razors, even very cheap ones, are as good or better than the old school or high-end stuff we all use here. I use a Gillette fat boy a couple hundred times a year, but I do it because I like to, not because it works better.

Parker Travel Razor, Astra SP blades, Proraso travel-size brush, pre-shave cream & post-shave balm, Thayer's travel-size witch hazel, Cremo shave stick (for head shaving, very convenient and cheap!), Cremo travel-size shave cream, which I swap out for Proraso Red Shave Cream, Collapsible Shaving Bowl, very cheap and effective and takes up NO room!

I forgot to put the Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve travel-size in the pic, and I just ordered a fendrihan travel shave brush. None of the items here are super expensive (except for the brush I just ordered for $40), so it's all replaceable for a reasonable cost.

IMG_0175.jpeg

Last edited:
I am expecting a WWI era Gillette military issue razor and case to be arrving very shortly. With the holiday coming up and knowing I will be traveling I am pretty excited to give this old razor a whirl.

Anyway, in looking at the kit I am expecting and my current home set up, I am wondering if folks have any advice in regards to traveling and wet shaving: any tips on inexpensive brushes, how to minimize soap and therefore not need to lug my mug with me etc.

Any hints or tips are appreciated!
Razor: If you're flying and not checking a bag, you're best off with a disposable or cartridge, unfortunately. From what I understand, safety razors are allowed in a carry-on (without a blade), but not all TSA agent know the rules, so you still might not be allowed to bring it. If you're checking a bag, then bring any razor that you can easily replace on the off-chance the airline loses your bag.

Brush: I use a Mühle classic small 19mm STF, but for a cheaper option that's almost as good, Maggard's 18mm Timberwolf is only $14. I only use synthetics anyway, but they're especially good for travel since they dry fast.

Soap: I've saved a few soap sample jars that I fill with cream. Each jar is good for 3 shaves, probably more if you use a soap instead. Others like to bring a small shave stick like La Toja. I face lather either way, so no mug necessary.

Hope that helps, happy travels!

I am expecting a WWI era Gillette military issue razor and case to be arrving very shortly. With the holiday coming up and knowing I will be traveling I am pretty excited to give this old razor a whirl.

Anyway, in looking at the kit I am expecting and my current home set up, I am wondering if folks have any advice in regards to traveling and wet shaving: any tips on inexpensive brushes, how to minimize soap and therefore not need to lug my mug with me etc.

That’s my current travel setup (carry on only) but an Old Type will do nicely as well.

Proraso Green Travel tub 75ml
Mühle 22mm Travel Synth
100ml decanted AS (Floid this time) in an E-Liquids bottle

9B290A64-AC41-4F5C-887A-500667CC8D6A.jpeg

Not TSA, but I'm in aviation and travel a lot. Obviously if you're driving or taking a train, you're pretty free to do what you want. If flying, just tell yourself not to bring anything in your carry-on that you won't be sad to have taken from you.

TSA's website technically says you're allowed to carry on a DE with no blades, but lately there has been some confusion and people have been reporting that they get confiscated anyway.

It's somewhat related to confusion over a couple rules: 1) as of 2022, utility knives, box cutters, and shavettes cannot go in a carry-on, even with no blade. Someone last year brought an empty utility knife on a plane and started brandishing it and threatening people with it, so out they went. Also, 2) there is another recent development where agents are no longer allowed to remove blades in the event there is one there. Put them together, and it has created a lot of local interpretations that nothing is allowed to go. (I'd also suspect many people don't really know what a shavette is and just see something old looking and metal looking).

In terms of what I fly with, I only carry on, so it is:
  • Cartridge (has been a TracII although lately I'm trying the Penny Shaver)
  • If domestic where I can use Precheck, a travel can of barbasol so that I can avoid brush drying issues on a short stay where I need to be packed and check out first thing the next morning.
  • If international/somewhere where pre-check isn't going to save me from bringing the stuff out, brush and stick such as La Toja so I can just leave it all in.
  • Ditto on a small vial of aftershave. If I'm going to have to haul it out though, I skip it and just use a little hotel lotion.

Top Bottom