What's new

What is your Scotch rotation

Monkey Shoulder is always replaced when empty, and right now I also have a bottle of GlenGrant 10 that I've been enjoying.

My daily driver is Glenfiddich 12. For variety I have:

• Highland Park 12
  • Macallan 12
  • Cragganmore 12
  • Laphroaig 10
I'm too cheap to pay for the older bottles, but if I did it'd be Macallan 18.

Currently Lagavulin 16 (will always keep a bottle as I love it)
Laphroaig 10
Ardbeg 10
Glenfiddich 15 Solera Reserve
Macallan Gold
Aberlour 12 (will be replacing this with a bottle of A Bunadh)
And half a bottle of Teachers that I can't seem to get rid of :(

I begin my Scotch rotation with Laphroaig 10 yr. Next I go to Laphroaig 10 yr. After that I go to Laphroaig 10 yr. Then I start over.

I begin my Scotch rotation with Laphroaig 10 yr. Next I go to Laphroaig 10 yr. After that I go to Laphroaig 10 yr. Then I start over.

Laphroaig is great stuff, but I'm not always in the mood for something so peaty and smoky. So my Single Malt rotation includes Talisker when I want something light, and Oban when I need something in the middle.

But I haven't enjoyed any of these in years due to the expense. Johnny Walker Black for the win.

Ever since I discovered the wonders of Scotch, I've been trying to find a brand called "Prime Malt" that is supposed to be Laphroaig in a plain, generic bottle. Sort of a factory-second for batches that didn't quite make the grade. I could never taste the difference, but my wallet did.

It was served to me at my favorite bar, Birds of a Feather which specializes in Scotch, keeping 120 different brands of Single Malts on hand.
https://www.google.com/search?sourc...f a feather b&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.8520j0j7

I've looked for Prime Malt in every liquor store I've been in since then, but nobody has ever heard of it.

I wish I had one! Before we got married I was a scotch drinker. LOTH prefers wine, so I have gotten into wine. One day I may go back!

Currently Lagavulin 16 (will always keep a bottle as I love it)
Laphroaig 10
Ardbeg 10
Glenfiddich 15 Solera Reserve
Macallan Gold
Aberlour 12 (will be replacing this with a bottle of A Bunadh)
And half a bottle of Teachers that I can't seem to get rid of :(

You've got a lot of my favorites on your shelf!

I recommend making some "Rob Roys" with the Teachers.

Ever since I discovered the wonders of Scotch, I've been trying to find a brand called "Prime Malt" that is supposed to be Laphroaig in a plain, generic bottle. Sort of a factory-second for batches that didn't quite make the grade. I could never taste the difference, but my wallet did.

It was served to me at my favorite bar, Birds of a Feather which specializes in Scotch, keeping 120 different brands of Single Malts on hand.
https://www.google.com/search?sourc...f a feather b&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.8520j0j7

I've looked for Prime Malt in every liquor store I've been in since then, but nobody has ever heard of it.

Is it actually imported?

This got me interested as I've never heard of "seconds" in the distilling industry. Releases are usually blended from a number of casks to achieve a desired result and the big operators will have thousands of casks at hand to maintain their house style. A "substandard" cask can easily be hidden by blending with better ones.

I suspect its an independent bottling (IB) where the distillery sells casks to a third party who ages it and bottles it under their own label. Those labels may be many and various - Gordon and McPhail for example, sell the Cask Strength, McPhails and Connoisseurs' Choice brands, among several other that don't come to mind. To make matters even more confusing, some distilleries don't like the IB saying where they got their spirit for fear of undercutting their own brand. I love IBs partly because they are often bottled at higher proof and without being molested by filters and caramel and partly because you can get some absolute bargains. They also will be limited production because the IBs have limited stock to work from.

Some well known Scottish IBs include Berry Bros, Cadenhead, Adelphi, Douglas Lang, Hart Bros and Duncan Taylor.

This last may have had a label called Prime Malt or they may have bottled it for someone else. This blog post has a review, some speculation on the branding and (most important) a photo of the label. But this is a Bowmore not a Laphroaig, and while I can find a reference to a similar bottling of Bunnahabhain (so we are definitely close geographically), I can't find a Laphroaig.

But I did find these on the Laphroaig Collectors website:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Both were bottled by by Munro Watson of Glasgow for Parker & Co or Baltimore in the early '80s (and goes at auction for drug money) and Hartley & Parker of Stratford respectively. The latter appears to be still in business as a wholesale liquor merchant so it might be worth contacting them.

Hope that helps you find some. :001_smile

Finally got a bottle of Laphroaig because I was drinking the Lagavulin too fast. I like it a lot! Not one I could have every time I have a dram, but that's why it's in the "rotation".

Typically more of a bourbon guy, but the Islays have a special spot in my cabinet. Lagavulin 16 and Laphroaig QC are always on hand.

Having a dram of the Lagavulin early this Sunday while taking in The Open.

Glenfidditch 12 yr (Always)

Highland Park 12 yr (Need a 15 year bottle soon)

Talisker 10 year

Small bottle of Glenfidditch Reserve Cask

My inlaws just went to Scotland and picked me up two little bottles from Edradour, a 10 and a 15 year. Apparently it's Scotland's smallest distillery. Haven't opened them yet, but looking forward to it.

My tastes are changing because I've never been rally into the peaty scotches, but I just bought a bottle of Laphroaig 10 and it is wonderful!

Top Bottom