What's new

What is your quest?... Great Shaving Soap

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Since my first shave with Old Spice shaving soap, I have had a secret passion for wet shaving. It just wasn't a topic that came up very often in conversation. However, since discovering places like B&B I can finally share my experiences with people who are interested.

I believe a good quality shaving soap, (or cream if that is your preference), is the corner stone to a smooth comfortable shave. I've used many razors over the years and while they each have their own idiosyncrasies, it has always been the soap that mattered most.

When Old Spice discontinued their shaving soap, (not that it was the best but it didn't suck either), I began my quest for great shaving soap. I tried all the usual store brands but was not satisfied. Then one day I was introduced to Colonel Conk almond shaving soap and it has been my main stay for much of the past 20 years. I've seen posts that compare Conk to Surrey suggesting that they are related because they come in the same package style. I don't know wether they are related or not, but I do notice a big difference in how they feel.

Buying Conk soaps has not always been easy. Before internet retailers were available I had to buy the minumum store size order directly from Colonel Conk. I was able to get one store to stock it once and then she moved her shop to a tourist area in another town. Thanks to the internet I can buy it from many sources.

Now I am not trying to suggest that Colonel Conk is the Holy Grail of all shaving soap, it's just the best I've used so far. I have been out for a while and have been tempted by all the new choices I now have. I should be receiving some almond from Honey Bee soon and some Arko from Tulumba. In the mean time I currently have some Proraso which I do not like very well.

I appreciate all the reviews posted here on B&B. I never realized there was such a wide variety available before. So I will do a little experimenting and chances are I will find one that I will settle on for a while. I like having one set up that works and stick with it.

So from an old saw to all the new guys I would suggest finding the soap or cream that works best for you before spending all your resources on razors and brushes. I can get a great shave with good soap, a cheap boar brush and a Bic disposable or a lousy mess with top shelf epuipment and crummy soap.

If you think Col Conk is a good soap, man are you in for a suprise when you try the Honeybee-Spa shaving soap.

OldSaw said:
Now I am not trying to suggest that Colonel Conk is the Holy Grail of all shaving soap, it's just the best I've used so far. I have been out for a while and have been tempted by all the new choices I now have. I should be receiving some almond from Honey Bee soon and some Arko from Tulumba. In the mean time I currently have some Proraso which I do not like very well.

Oddly enough Proraso soap has been the pinnacle of my quest so far, and since I really didn't have much sucess at all with Col. Conk, I just threw away two Col. Conk Almond soap rounds :eek: Sorry!

Currently, I'm trying out some HoneyBee soaps that I got. It's been interesting. Very good shaves, but for some reason it's not nearly the experience I get with C&E or Proraso. I think I chose the wrong scents. Also, I've melted 2 of the 3 of them. I wonder if that has damaged the scent a little.

Nopt that I'm biased :)001_rolle ) or anything, but if you have not tried any of 'The sooz' soaps, then you aren't really trying to fulfill your quest. Between them, you will be able to find your 'excalibur' of soaps.

Marty

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Hi Birch,

I wrote a reply and somehow I was logged off before it posted and I can't remember exactly what I wrote. So if it posts twice that is why.

MBW needs me now so I will have to finish tomorrow.

I agree with ya Oldsaw -- the soap [& brush] is an important part of the wetshaving experience. Others have stated that simply switching from canned foam to a traditional soap/cream improved their shave immensely with a Mach 3.

I personnaly haven' tried Col Conk products, as I've acquired so many others already. No doubt that I will eventually get to it in time though.

well, Dennis, I shave with Col. Conk bay rum soap, and I enjoy it a lot. The best soap I ever had so far is Arko, but I can tell you that Mama Bear's soaps are terrific also. I never tried any of the Honeybee soaps, so I can't comment on them, but the other 2 I mentioned are damn good. Another one worth trying to get if you can is Gold-Dachs Spezial.
It's a pricey soap, but worth every penny.

Jeff

QED sandalwood rocks - love the scent.

However, I consistently find that my best shaves are with good old JM Fraser's.

I have an untouched, unopened jar of Tabac under my sink. I keep coming on the verge of opening it for use but then I see the rest of the stuff on my sink and it makes me back down due to the already large rotation. Heh

Tinzien said:
I have an untouched, unopened jar of Tabac under my sink. I keep coming on the verge of opening it for use but then I see the rest of the stuff on my sink and it makes me back down due to the already large rotation. Heh

I know the feeling, but the Tabac is SO good, the first time that I tried it, I eneded up using it for a week straight! Imagine that! A soap that is so good, you quit rotating for a whole week!:eek:

QED Sandlewood did that too me. As did Honeybee Bay Rum.

TABAC is on its way to me. But it is coming with 218 and B&B from QED, so I'm not sure which will get the nod first....

I've got it bad. Have Tabac and QED Sandalwood coming along with some soap's from Colleen. Just got 3 Mamma Bear's soaps last week and have about six other types already. All acquired in the last 4-5 weeks (on top of 4-5 creams). I cannot maintain this pace of acquisition!!!! :eek:

Jordan

Just wait till the G#$&#@N SBAD kicks in, and you realize you have ordered three brushes in as many days..... And none of them cheap....

The Tabac is right up there - especially since I love the scent. I almost always layer it with my Tabac a/s lotion, which is also a great product.

moses said:
Just wait till the G#$&#@N SBAD kicks in, and you realize you have ordered three brushes in as many days..... And none of them cheap....

I know! I want to get the Bambino, but I really need to hold off 'til next month.....don't know if I can resist!!!!:drool:

Jordan

Dennis,

It's QED for me! I have Bay Rum, B&B. Sadalwood and Vetiver.

Half the fun is trying different soaps until you find what you like. You owe yourself the opportunity to try a number of them. It's the thrill of the hunt!

Steve

Top Bottom