What's new

What is your preferred tie knot?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Pretty much a Half Windsor for me. I'm trying to get myself into the Four in Hand, but it's not really sticking.

I had to look it up. My father had promised to teach me how to tie a necktie, but never got around to it. I ended up carefully untying a clip-on tie, and imitating that knot, with my neck in place of the clip. That's how I tie a necktie to this day. It turns out it's called a four-in-hand knot.

I've tinkered with the Windsor and Half-Windsor, but have an issue of the tie long enough. I'm a mere 6'2" (1.88m), but have a problem with the tie long enough. If I still had a three-piece suit, it wouldn't be a problem. Will have to look into the Pratt Knot mentioned above.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Bow.

proxy.php

And fairly thick ... not the squeezed-super-skinny knot you get from thin-fabric ties ...

proxy.php

1/2 windsor for most ties, full for some. I do have a couple of knit ties that were made for me that I use four-in-hand. otherwise the knot would be wider than my head. My daughter made me a tie out of duct tape which I've never been able to successfully tie (that was the year she made her prom dress from duct tape).

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I had to look it up. My father had promised to teach me how to tie a necktie, but never got around to it. I ended up carefully untying a clip-on tie, and imitating that knot, with my neck in place of the clip. That's how I tie a necktie to this day. It turns out it's called a four-in-hand knot.

I've tinkered with the Windsor and Half-Windsor, but have an issue of the tie long enough. I'm a mere 6'2" (1.88m), but have a problem with the tie long enough. If I still had a three-piece suit, it wouldn't be a problem. Will have to look into the Pratt Knot mentioned above.
Try the four in hand. It uses less tie for the knot, so you can get it a bit longer. Also, you might to get a few extra long ties, if you don't have them already.

I had to wear a tie every day elementary through high school and it was always a four-in-hand, though none of us ever knew what it was called.

Since I joined the Army after college the staple became a windsor (full) and since I am in a suit daily it has remained that way ever since. Dressing up or down a look has become a function of choosing the right tie, and not changing the knot.

I thought I had been doing a Half Windsor all these years but now realize it is the Four In Hand. At some point many years ago I remember trying something new, a Windsor, and realized I didn’t like the look of a large knot. The 4IH works nicely for me.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
At some point many years ago I remember trying something new, a Windsor, and realized I didn’t like the look of a large knot.

Back when I wore non-bow ties, I found that the thickness of the tie material & lining would dictate the best knot. I was fond of getting my tie knots rather tight, as well, which would make them smaller than a more loosely-tied knot.

Most of my ties were (are) printed or woven silk with a moderately thick lining, so a tight Windsor looked good to me. Or sometimes half-windsor. Thicker knit ties (grenadine silk for example) or wool/tweed ties needed a different knot, usually 4-in-H.

I found that the Windsor would give a symmetrical knot, which I found "dressier", and suited to a formal silk tie. The more casual grenadine or wool/tweed ties looked better with a slightly more (to my eyes) casual asymmetry of the 4-in-H.

it absolutely depends on the collar. unless you have a spread collar, a windsor will look kind of ridiculous. for most average point collars, i'll use a nicky/pratt knot. for narrower collars, a 4inH or a simple.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
it absolutely depends on the collar. unless your you have a spread collar a windsor will look kind of ridiculous

The collar does, quite right, affect knot choice. (Fundamentally, it affects tie choice, and the tie choice results in the knot choice.) I don't think one is necessarily required to go so far as a spread collar (and the definition or amount of spread involved varies according to different opinions) for a Windsor knot ... but again, it depends in large part upon the thickness of the tie and the tightness of the knot.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I get a kick out of this ... two world leaders (who lean different ways on the political spectrum) with 4-in-H knots leaning different ways (as well).

proxy.php

Why the Windsor is better:

proxy.php

Not because POTUS 40 is better than POTUS 41 ... but because it looks better.

of course we're speaking in generalities...it's not like i'm going to try to sausage a heavy weight wool tie with a windsor into a narrow point collar.

the windsor is a very formal knot. i usually even won't tie a windsor unless i want to look super boss. the knot is too bulky, eats a lot of tie real estate...which is a real issue depending on the length, etc. if i want a medium-sized, symmetrical knot, i'd tie a pratt :). it's my go to for most situations.

Top Bottom