What's new

What is your preferred roast of coffee?

linty1

My wallet cries.
With the summer and a bit more free time = more time to drink coffee I find myself asking for a lighter roast now. It seems I can taste more with it instead of just "roasted".

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I think dark roasts make horrible espresso. My favorite bean is a very cheap off the shelf in the bag medium roast bean, 8 O'Clock Columbian. It positively shimmers with aroma, and tastes silky smooth. Dark roast espresso just tastes burnt to me.

For coffee brewed by other methods, I sometimes like a dark roast. New Orleans style cafe au lait is best with a dark roast, IMHO.

My favourite is a light to medium roast Kenyan from my Aeropress. Lovely fruity flavours and no Charbuck style bitterness.

Second choice would be a similar roast Ethiopian Yirgacheffe.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
As part of my advanced Zen instruction under the late Sri Chinmoy, I have trained myself to prefer coffee that has been roasted far beyond the point that any sane man would recommend. This way, on the rare occasion that I go to Starbucks (*$ on the NYSE ticker), I'm not disappointed.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
StarbucksSucksTruck.jpeg

One picture is worth a thousand words.

I roast my own and I first wait until first crack is finished and after I hear several pops of the second crack, I cut the heat on my machine, but leave the fan on for a few minutes. After that, I dump it and that's it. My main use is espresso, but I also use it for Turkish, etc.

As part of my advanced Zen instruction under the late Sri Chinmoy, I have trained myself to prefer coffee that has been roasted far beyond the point that any sane man would recommend. This way, on the rare occasion that I go to Starbucks (*$ on the NYSE ticker), I'm not disappointed.

I haven't heard anyone mention Sri Chinmoy's name in decades, since the 70's when guys like John McLaughlin, Carlos Santana, Michael Walden and others were disciples. I saw Narada Michael Walden in NYC with his band late last year and he still uses the name. Devadip seems to have dropped it as has Mahavishnu. God, I wish someone was still making music like that now. Nothing like blasting Mahavishnu Orchestra's Visions of the Emerald Beyond for a truly transcendental experience. And just to be sure I include some coffee in the discussion, a nice cup of dark roast french press with some steamed milk and froth go really well with it.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
It really depends on the bean and what I want to drink. A good single origin coffee with something special to offer needs to be medium or light roasted. Dark roasting something like a Sumatran single origin will kill the uniqueness of it by making you taste more of the roast than the natural flavor of the coffee. But if you like Cafe au Lait or espresso drinks, dark roasts are the way to go.

I haven't heard anyone mention Sri Chinmoy's name in decades, since the 70's when guys like John McLaughlin, Carlos Santana, Michael Walden and others were disciples. I saw Narada Michael Walden in NYC with his band late last year and he still uses the name. Devadip seems to have dropped it as has Mahavishnu. God, I wish someone was still making music like that now. Nothing like blasting Mahavishnu Orchestra's Visions of the Emerald Beyond for a truly transcendental experience. And just to be sure I include some coffee in the discussion, a nice cup of dark roast french press with some steamed milk and froth go really well with it.
Thanks for the music mention as I did not know about this band. I just listened to few minutes of Emerald Beyond and will check them out.

20170328_080109.jpg
upload_2017-9-10_11-53-52.jpeg
IMHO the richer and darker the better - I make my coffee in a Moka Pot
For day to day use, I buy supermarket's own brand blended coffee from Mercadona, Bip, Eroski or very occasionally from Carrefour.
They're all slightly different, but they typically contain 50% Natural and 50% Torrefacto.
The best I've had so far is from Mercadona

I also buy Mercadona's own brand of pure Torrefacto beans and I occasionally grind some up in my grinder and treat myself to a Moka Pot of 100% Torrefacto coffee -
I drink my coffee black without adding any sugar, and it's some of the best coffee I've ever tasted

Torrefacto coffee is made by spraying coffee beans with sugar water before roasting. The roasted beans are jet black, very shiny and slightly sticky.

Torrefacto was a case of necessity being the mother of invention.........
In the aftermath of the Spanish Civil War, in the late 1930s, there was a national shortage of coffee beans in Spain.
As a result, they started buying cheaper, inferior quality beans and spraying them with sugar water prior to roasting.
This acted as a preservative and the beans were 20% heavier than normal roasted beans - guaranteed to make Spain's precious stockpile of beans last longer.
It also masked the taste of inferior coffee beans and resulted in a smoother, richer stronger tasting coffee without bitterness. For decades the Spanish palate was accustomed to the taste of Torrefacto
As better quality beans became more readily available, less and less Torrefacto was added to the blend.
Some people prefer a Natural roast, but a Torrefacto blend is still more common even today.
20170328_080109.jpg

upload_2017-9-10_11-53-52.jpeg

Left: Natural / Right: Torrefacto

I don't like dark roast coffees. They taste bitter to me. Medium roast of a good bean (and that's the secret) allows the bean'f flavor to come through. LaVazza coffees from Italy are my favorites...just about any variety. Dark roasting an inferior bean covers up the fact that the quality of the bean is inferior.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Prepare the lynch mob.......

SWMBO likes Dunkin Donuts French Vanilla in our french press, and since she's the boss, guess what I have been drinking for many many years?

Now and then, I am allowed to pick up a Lavazza or fine turkish grind for my bialetti.

Top Bottom