What's new

What is your preferred razor for Atg?

Hello friends,

Would you share with us which razor gives you the easiest Atg (against ghe grain) pass?

I am no believer in Atg as my beard in not uniform after trying several types of razors , but your comments can influence on my perception.

Cheers !

I don't really have a "preferred" but I would say my Timeless .95 because of its extreme smoothness/comfort, especially with a Rapira platinum Lux blade.

Of course as with all things shaving, YMMV.

The Karve Overlander as mentioned by @huck1680 is the best razor I have for ATG shaves. Not sure what it is, but it feels different than all my other razors when shaving ATG. It’s fabulous. My Yates H and Blackbird are no slouches either ATG, but the Overlander feels the best.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Karve Overlander. For overtired all-ATG shaving, I haven’t experienced anything better. And I have a GEM MMOC and RazoRock JAWS 0.84/Hawk V3OC/“German” 37 razors for the same task.

I do not recommend the Mythus orange-handled barber razor for overtired all-ATG shaving. Even with the orange colored scales, it demands bright eyes and a bushy tail or vengeance.

Speaking of demands, the Overlander lurvs sharpy sharp blades such as the Gillette Nacet, but a small price to pay for a great shave (the blades, not the razor — it’s almost $100usd before shipping :eek6: ).

I’d go with the Overlander as well. It’s great for ATG even on my lower neck, which is very sensitive.

It’s become my go-to razor if I’m looking for a close, irritation-free shave. I still use a lot of other razors, but if I had to choose only one it would be the Overlander.

For comfort AND efficiency, it's the blackbird!
Hence why it's my most favorite razor.

Obviously, less efficient razors may be more comfortable, but there's no point doing an ATG pass if I'm not ending up with a glass-finish-BBS!

Slants will perform better, simply by virtue of their orientation. AC razors also perform well for me as well, as they are long enough to draw like a straight, without the risk of running too horizontally and cutting myself. Not that I cut myself on a regular basis with my DEs, but neither do I draw them at the radical angle required for BBS under my chin

Haven’t tried the overlander or Athena. But my Razorock Lupo DLC is probably the best ATG for me. The DLC coating is what sort of grabs the skin in a way that just works for me and my face.

My Top 3 razors for best ATG pass in order are:
1.Paradigm Diamondback
2.H&S Efficient Ti
3. Overlander Gold-plated.

These razors are efficient for the smoothness they perceive Atg. And you can go over the same spot without sacrificing irritation or weepers.

Another vote for the Overlander. I'm simply blown away by its comfort in general but especially ATG when shaving my head. Absolutely no sting if I apply alum or tea tree oil after shaving. Every other razor I use ATG on my dome results in some stinging when I apply after shave products. Not the Overlander. It may replace all my other shavers one day, its that good.

If you only do one pass a more aggressive razor will shave a little closer.

But if you do the full three pass shave even the mildest design will get to BBS. And the milder razor should make the ATG pass easier and less "bitey".

But I guess you can learn to use anything if you put the hours in. Some do ATG passes with a straight razor!

For me it is razors with high blade rigidity. So for DE, that would be the Henson, Winning, and Blackland Era. Injectors can also be great, because they also have a thicker, rigid blade.

I am a firm believer in ATG (at least one atg pass) and have been chasing BBS ever since i got into DE shaving.

Every razor doe ATG but some will bite and cause blood/irritation more than others and this is what I judge a razors ATG quality by.

For example the Wolfman WR2 1.25 is an amazing razor and the ATG's with this give me a glass finish but I must keep my concentration high and lather of optimal quality in order to get away with an ATG glass finish and no to little blood.

IMHO the BEST razor I own for ATG is the BlackBird, I own the SS model as I like razors with some weight but many swear by the lighter Ti model. It is the safest razor for ATG as it leaves me with no cuts or weepers at all, and best of all concentration is low allowing me to enjoy the experience more.

Not far behind the BB for ATG is the Rocca V4 for the same reasons.

Top Bottom