What's new

What Is Your Oldest Shooting Rifle Or Pistol

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I finally narrowed down a likely made by date for the Harrington & Richardson top break with no model number or name. I had seen an advertisement that was kinda similar and dated to 1935 and the gun had no letter as part of the serial number (H&R started using a letter code for manufacture date in 1940) so it was likely made between 1935 and 1939. I also found a brochure from 1940 where it was called the "Defender" and in addition to 38S&W, 38/200 ammo was mentioned. That led me to believe that H&R was marketing the gun to the Commonwealth where 38/200 was a more common ammo designation. My gun though showed no British Proofs so was meant for the US domestic market.

The earlier but similar handguns had a finger rest on the trigger guard not found on mine and adjustable sights, again missing from my example. Most had wood rather than a plastic grip. Later guns carried a model number (25 and 925) and model name "Defender 38" but nothing like that on my example.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Mine did have the caliber marking on the side of the barrel, maker name and city on the top of the barrel and a serial number on the front grip strap, on the left side under the grip and on both the cylinder and extractor star. The serial number was only three digits "234" and so likely an early example but from an unknown run. There was no info on how H&R numbered guns over the years or when they changed systems or sequences other than the addition of a date letter starting in 1940.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Inquiries on several different boards got me no closer to a date than the 1935-1939 range I had originally until finally I was referred to someone who is the current resident H&R handgun guru and he was nice enough to send me some information originally posted by Jim Hauff that seemed related.

"Some refinements were made to the "DEFENDER SPECIAL" between its inception circa 1935 and 1939, resulting in a couple different looks or variations, on the base platform.
Then in or around 1938 - 39 period, recognizing that a European war was imminent, H&R began developing another version of the DEFENDER, based upon the SPORTSMAN lower frame, but with a modified upper frame which has features of the AUTO EJECTING series - i.e. it had a fixed, semi-cicular front sight and for the rear sight, two small projections arising from the barrel latch. This crude sighting system is identical to that on the AUTO EJECTING series of this era - and seems to be a throw back - when compared with the DEFENDER SPECIAL sights - this sight system was probably a cost containment measure. This "DEFENDER" series doesn't seem to have been very popular although widely advertised at the time. There is no record of a model number having been assigned to this variant - 4" and 6" barreled pieces are known, both of these are NOT marked on the barrel with a model name or number, but match pictures found in a period advertisement. This variant appears to be very rare, although serial numbers indicate several thousand may have been produced.”

There was also an image attached:

proxy.php

And there it was, a sample just like mine and also a very low serial number. So now it seems almost certain that my example dates to 1938.

Regardless, it is a really sweet shooter, accurate as all the H&R handguns I've owned have been and with the fantastic double trigger system that give it an absolutely effortless crisp break.

I finally narrowed down a likely made by date for the Harrington & Richardson top break with no model number or name. I had seen an advertisement that was kinda similar and dated to 1935 and the gun had no letter as part of the serial number (H&R started using a letter code for manufacture date in 1940) so it was likely made between 1935 and 1939. I also found a brochure from 1940 where it was called the "Defender" and in addition to 38S&W, 38/200 ammo was mentioned. That led me to believe that H&R was marketing the gun to the Commonwealth where 38/200 was a more common ammo designation. My gun though showed no British Proofs so was meant for the US domestic market.

The earlier but similar handguns had a finger rest on the trigger guard not found on mine and adjustable sights, again missing from my example. Most had wood rather than a plastic grip. Later guns carried a model number (25 and 925) and model name "Defender 38" but nothing like that on my example.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Mine did have the caliber marking on the side of the barrel, maker name and city on the top of the barrel and a serial number on the front grip strap, on the left side under the grip and on both the cylinder and extractor star. The serial number was only three digits "234" and so likely an early example but from an unknown run. There was no info on how H&R numbered guns over the years or when they changed systems or sequences other than the addition of a date letter starting in 1940.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Inquiries on several different boards got me no closer to a date than the 1935-1939 range I had originally until finally I was referred to someone who is the current resident H&R handgun guru and he was nice enough to send me some information originally posted by Jim Hauff that seemed related.

There was also an image attached:

proxy.php

And there it was, a sample just like mine and also a very low serial number. So now it seems almost certain that my example dates to 1938.

Regardless, it is a really sweet shooter, accurate as all the H&R handguns I've owned have been and with the fantastic double trigger system that give it an absolutely effortless crisp break.

Great write-up & great revolver. Always had a thing for top-breaks but never owned one. Yours gives me a nudge.

Top Bottom