What's new

What is your most efficient razor that you can share with daily?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Reminds me of my Wardonia Rugby. :)
20200806_143737~2.jpg

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I was floored the first time I used this WWII plastic razor. I have razors I paid 10 and 20 times more than I did for this and it blows them away. It is so smooth and efficient that I rank it as good (or better) than my top 3 razor's - NEW SC, HD 500 and 05 Single Ring. She may be the homeliest plain Jane at the dance but she sure can cut a rug. And yes she is in my six razor rotation.

View attachment 1178481
Very interesting. What is this comparable to in terms of efficiency? Do you have a modern comparison? I ask because I am relatively unversed in vintage razors.

Very interesting. What is this comparable to in terms of efficiency? Do you have a modern comparison? I ask because I am relatively unversed in vintage razors.

I would consider the DE-89 as an example; one of the three modern razors I have but have not used for years. A find razor although I would still rate the military razor shave above the 89 - but only slightly.

Kirby + Feather blade for me.

I do want to find a modern combo to match. Mild razor + sharp blade may be the ticket. Aggressive razors require too much attention, might as well go back to straights...

Currently experimenting with Fatip CC slant + Feather or Astra.

Would be great to hear some suggestions as i haven't kept up with new razor craftsmen. I like Ti and SS, but aluminum or brass may work, too.

A good sharp blade, a medium aggressive razor and good technique should give results. Focusing on the technique will be a good start. By upscaling to razors with more blade gap and bad technique will only aggravate matters.

I've not looked back since I've started using Gem vintage razors. With a blade like the Personna gem PTFE coated will give fantastic shaves as the razors need to be used at a preset angle and removes most guess work.

I avoid ATG with aggressive razors except touch ups to avoid irritation.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
For me it was the R41. A great daily driver. Went back to my neighbor after a month of traded use. As soon as I get off sabbatical I'm getting one. I get more nicks or outright irritation from milder razors trying to get a close shave. The R41 is not the smoothest shave while it's happening. There is a lot of blade feel, but the post shave is excellent in closeness and face feel.

Eben Stone

Staff member
For me it is the R41.

The OP mentions BBS and sensitive skin. Full disclosure: I have yet to achieve a true BBS shave and cuts nicks scrapes abrasions don't really bother me, only razor burn bothers me, so maybe I have tough skin.

RazoRock Game Changer .84-P. Daily, every other day, every three days, whathaveyou. My Timeless .95MM Ti SB and Blackbird SB just sit taking up space.

The 3 that stand out for me are a Schick E-2 with a Chick blade, a Lord L5 with any Lord blade or my Gillette Slim, on setting 9, with a Lord or blue Personna. Each will tackle the toughest beard smoothly and w no irritation.

@2Vu5_T
Wow - could you share why GC gets more play than the Timeless Ti and do you think a .68 Timeless would fare better in your comparison?

Last edited:
Merkur 33c is smoothest for me,have 5 other razors but still came back to my first one,and like this the most,with sharper blades ,no irritation or nicks at all,every time bbs shave.

I have been revisiting all my Safety Razors to answer exactly the OP's question. I love shaving but I don't do 3 passes, that is just overkill for my time and for my skin.

At the same time, I have sensitive, acne-prone skin, so I want a razor to shave daily that is efficient but won't stress my skin after prolonged use. My problem is not related to nicks or irritation - I can't remember the last time I cut myself with a safety razor, and the last time I had a minor irritation from shaving was when I waited less than 18hs between shaves.

My problem is that a combination of stressed skin with other factors like genetics, stress, diet (my dermatologist said it is impossible to narrow down to one thing) cause my skin to overproduce oils and breakout strongly.

So, here are my thoughts so far:
- Rex Ambassador
- Rocnel Elite 2018
- ATT M1 or M2 (do not own them anymore, but shaved daily with the M2 for approx. 3 years)

Borderline:
- Fatips (v1 or v2), I love these razors, but I think they shine when removing at least 2 days growth

Must have at least 2 days growth:
- R41
- Straight razor

Next up:
- Pils. I am sure I will be able to shave daily with this one, but it is just a little unwieldy to use regularly
- FOCS

@2Vu5_T
Wow - could you share why GC gets more play than the Timeless Ti and do you think a .68 Timeless would fare better in your comparison?

I like the .95 Timeless and wouldn't go downward. I stuck with each of the three for a week and the GC just worked better using Feather and Personna Red and Personna Lab Blues.

Top Bottom