What's new

What is your most efficient razor that you can share with daily?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I know there must be others in my situation. So o am curious: for those of you out there with a tough beard and sensitive skin, what razors have worked well to give you a BBS shave that you can do on a daily basis?

For me, a Fatip Grande with either a Polsilver or Gillette Yellow blade is my most efficient DE.

Much gentler on the skin though, is an SE. The GEM Bullet Tip with a PTFE is as efficient as my Grande while being considerably more comfortable and gentler on my skin.

The GEM MMOC/PTFE is twice as efficient and just as comfortable once you learn it. Using a blade thats twice as thick as a typical DE blade makes a noticeable difference.

BBS finish with either my Grande or my Bullet Tip is ~12 hours. My MMOC, typically 14 hours, but as high as 18 with a fresh blade.

For me, a Fatip Grande with either a Polsilver or Gillette Yellow blade is my most efficient DE.

Much gentler on the skin though, is an SE. The GEM Bullet Tip with a PTFE is as efficient as my Grande while being considerably more comfortable and gentler on my skin.

The GEM MMOC/PTFE is twice as efficient and just as comfortable once you learn it. Using a blade thats twice as thick as a typical DE blade makes a noticeable difference.

BBS finish with either my Grande or my Bullet Tip is ~12 hours. My MMOC, typically 14 hours, but as high as 18 with a fresh blade.
Hmm I didn't recall you were a Bullet Tip guy .

I haven't done any scientific comparisons but among DEs my Shake Sharp Mk1.0 with twin blades gets the crown, with my Enders Speed with Schick Proline tops among SEs, a bit ahead of the MMOC.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Hmm I didn't recall you were a Bullet Tip guy .

I wasnt really, until recently. @rabidus sent me a Bullet Tip with a NEW SC over a year ago and I didnt really bother with it, I should have.

I've been using it a lot lately and it gives me a fantastically smooth and comfortable shave, but it takes 3 full passes and 2 clean ups. It gives me a more comfortable shave than my Brit clone with a Feather, and thats saying something.

Last shave I changed back to a favorite, my Grande and a fresh Derby Extra. Not even close in the comfort department. No issues during the shave but the post shave left my skin feeling a bit raw, red and itchy. That was even using WK with a thicker lather.

After becoming so use to using SE's, DE's just fall further and further behind every time I use one. I still think the Bullet Tip and MMOC should have been sold in sets they compliment each other so well.

Right now my easiest and most comfortable shaves are with the Bullet Tip/PTFE and Mama Bears soap. An incredible combo.

I've been wetshaving with DE/SE since 2014, and have about 50 razors total. My ideal set up that is efficient, smooth and I can use everyday is a New DeLuxe (17mm) with Polsilver blade. Amazing shave, very rigid blade with zero chatter and no nicks, weepers etc. I could use only this combo the rest of my life, and be a happy man. I'm 50 yrs old with a slightly tough beard, but not sensitive skin. :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I've been wetshaving with DE/SE since 2014, and have about 50 razors total. My ideal set up that is efficient, smooth and I can use everyday is a New DeLuxe (17mm) with Polsilver blade. Amazing shave, very rigid blade with zero chatter and no nicks, weepers etc. I could use only this combo the rest of my life, and be a happy man. I'm 50 yrs old with a slightly tough beard, but not sensitive skin. :)
How many shaves do you get from a PolSilver? Thanks, Dave

Blackland Dart is the most efficient I can shave with daily. It is an odd razor as is mild and efficient at a steep angle, but if you go shallow it becomes very aggressive.

Interesting to consider as several razors in my den can and are used daily but regarding efficiency results can be obtained after 2 or three passes. With daily use the smoothness factor of a given razor is key and any razor resulting in "razor burn" would not qualify for daily use.

If I had to make a list, it may resemble a favorites list which in no particular order:

Paradigm 17-4
Charcoal Goods Level 3
Gibbs adjustable @ 6
GameChanger 84 (double shimmed)
Razorock Ti Baby Smooth (double shimmed)

Fatip Piccolo for me (Special Edition using the OC baseplate, so a standard Piccolo would function just as well). I've used Astra SP, Shark Super Chrome, and Rockwell blades with it and I use Edge Gel. I can easily get at least 2-3 weeks of shaves per blade.

I know, purists insist that whipping up lather with soap and a brush is better; however, it takes longer and I've tried a few different soaps -- most of them irritated my skin whereas Edge doesn't.

Fatip Piccolo for me (Special Edition using the OC baseplate, so a standard Piccolo would function just as well). I've used Astra SP, Shark Super Chrome, and Rockwell blades with it and I use Edge Gel. I can easily get at least 2-3 weeks of shaves per blade.

I know, purists insist that whipping up lather with soap and a brush is better; however, it takes longer and I've tried a few different soaps -- most of them irritated my skin whereas Edge doesn't.
I still have a few unused cans of Edge gel in my den, I actually do like the stuff. And the carts aren't that bad either, certainly cheaper than Mach 3 and above Gillette carts, and I don't find them to be all that great.

As for the most aggressive razor that I can use on a daily basis, I'd have to say it would be my 6C on R4. Works great, no irritation to speak of when I'm using a good soap (Tabac/Derby tub). When I move to a more iffy soap (WTP or Porasso in my current rotation), I find it really doesn't matter what razor I'm using, I'll get irritation if I shave every day.

Like the OP, I have a tough beard and sensitive skin. I have found that an aggressive razor provides the closest shave with least irritation. My current favorite is a Timeless stainless steel scalloped .95 with red or blue Personna or Viking Sword blades.

Man I’ve been using my Parker Variant a bit more here lately, and let me just say, that thing is keen! It’s put my R41 and Karve to shame in the efficiency department - and yet its perfectly usable! And of course adjustable. I’m very pleasantly surprised!

proxy.php

Shocked really.

Top Bottom