What's new

What is your most efficient razor that you can share with daily?

I'm sure it's very dependent on the person. However, it's been my experience that the Fatip open comb razors are quite different from most DE razors because their feel is very sensitive to blade angle. They have almost zero blade gap and a lot of blade exposure. If they are used with a shallow blade angle, by riding the cap with the handle almost at 90 degrees from the skin, they don't have a lot of blade feel at all and they can be quite smooth and mild. If they are used at a more typical blade angle, with the handle somewhere around a 45 degree angle relative to the skin, they are very aggressive and have a lot of blade feel. I can get great daily shaves from the Fatip open combs when I focus on keeping a shallow blade angle. Otherwise, they are just too aggressive for me for daily use. And I enjoy fairly aggressive razors during my every day shaves.
I have shaved 3 times now with my newly bought Fatip picollo OC and i agree with your findings, very efficient razor and quite mild with shallow angle (the handle more towards 90° from skin, as riding the cap), and quite agressive when used steeply (angle more scratching with the base plate over the skin).
I still have to test with different blades though (now i use a now discontinued Gillete Bleu Extra in it on about its 6th shave and it works very well).
One of my most efficient razors together with my Yaqi mellon SLOC and my Razorock 37 german slant.

I think this Fatip is a bit special in the sense that the used technique with it will change the way it shaves/feels in quite large amounts. Mine also has the minor blade alignment issue, but it is possible to manually adjust the blade to get a good alignment.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Most efficient and comfortable razor for me is blutt razor 0.86 plate. Second would be karve overlander.
I can see that... I have only shaved with the Blutt BR-1 0.86 plate once and it was ultra comfortable. I've been using the 1.20 plate the rest of the time. Since I only shave every other day or so, the 1.20 works great for me.

I'm still dialing in the Overlander. I used a Kai blade in it the other day and has much better results.

Hmm, for DE either the R41 Clone or Rex Ambassador, both are more efficient than my Timeless 95 OC. (Timeless wins for smoothness by a long shot). Honorable mention to the Yaqi DLC, it's pretty efficient and super smooth/comfortable feeling).

Lupo.72 with any blade ( nacet/bic and GC .84 less sharp blades Rapira super steel
I can perform a 3 pass, with a 4th cleanup pass with no irritation on a daily basis . When I first tried the .84 oc with bic blade I found iut that I was developing some irritation by day 4. Will go back and try sharper blades again to see if there have been any changes.

I have to second (or third or fourth) the recommendation of the Fatip Piccolo OC. Very efficient razor that tackles tough beards, but not too aggressively.
In my fleet I would also recommend the Gillette Slim. At setting 8 or 9 it will mow down any beard, but it is quite forgiving. Likewise, the little Yuma is very effective on tough beards but is surprisingly kind to sensitive skin.
Ultimately, the absolute best razor for any beard on any face is the Schick injector, models E or G. With a Chinese Schick (“Chick”) these are the best razors in the world.

I can see that... I have only shaved with the Blutt BR-1 0.86 plate once and it was ultra comfortable. I've been using the 1.20 plate the rest of the time. Since I only shave every other day or so, the 1.20 works great for me.

I'm still dialing in the Overlander. I used a Kai blade in it the other day and has much better results.
I want to try .95 & 1.20 on blutt rasor. Hopefully some day I shall try.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Thursday, December 15th 2022, I had a excellent shave this morning with my Yaqi TFC adjustable and it is a very good razor to use if interested in adjustable razors for efficentcy and also comfort IMO.

Razor : Yaqi TFC adjustable- Mfg 2021>, all aggression ranges, excellent design based on the Gibbs 1930's razor design for adjusting but takes standard Gillette blades where the Gibbs takes modified or their proprietary blades . Great razor and affordable, a joy to use IMO.
Blade : Gillette Nacet, sharp & smooth + excellent longevity.
Soap : Ogallala Bayrum sage and Cedarwood- nice scent of Bayrum(some clove) with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Artic sky" 24mm silvertip badger, excellent lather generator, luxury pillow like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG(3) + ATG(3) + pickups (4 setting).
Post shave : Witch hazel beard cleanse +Ogallala Bayrum with sandalwood + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Yaqi TFC adjustable with a Nacet blade.
SOTD Dec 15 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Gibbs replica or Yates 921-H. The Gibbs actually gets me a bit closer result. Use it on 5 - 5 - 4.
It really is a terrific razor.

Other daily contenders would be a New Improved or a Flatboy. But these arent cutting my whiskers as close as the Gibbs replica either.

I've found slant heads to be a good mix between smooth yet sharp like an open comb. I currently use the Maggard head, but I joined this forum since uptown had listed a dscomestic 316 for sale. Don't know if he still has it.

I'm inconsistent in shave cadance. Often it's every 3 days. Then there will be a week with every day. During those weeks it's been a RR Wunderbar. No issues with the WB, looking forward to same results with SS L2++

Top Bottom