What's new

What is your most boring razor?

I prefer middle of the road razors, not too boring and not too exciting. My most boring razor is my Ming-shi 2000, the shaves are good, but I can't remember shaving with it even once. I prefer something with a bit more drama, my Muhle Rocca R94 is my favourite audio feedback and all. By the time I'm finished shaving with my Yaqi Slant my hair is on fire my face looks like I've done ten rounds with Freddy Krueger, and my nerves are shot to pieces, it gets even less use than the Ming-shi.
Rocca is a great razor

A few comments here indicating that boring might mean perfect, and it can be a good thing to have a boring razor. Personally, I do not consider a really good shave boring, even if it is effortless and automatic. The feeling of a really good, close, comfortable shave is something I never take for granted or grow tired of. A razor like that would always make me smile, not yawn.

For me boring means the results are nothing remarkable, and the feel of using the razor is not interesting or pleasurable. Razors like that are not worth keeping in this world where there are so many really effective razors offering a great tactile sensation which we could choose instead.

Schick Type M adjustable. It shaves me effortlessly and better than anything I own, but after a couple of shaves, it feels like shaving with a cartridge razor, but in a good way of course and it feels way too easy and boring.

Despite all of that, if I have to pick only one razor out of my 50 + razors collection just to shave with for the rest of my life ignoring my more expensive, durable and way better looking razors, I would definitely pick the Schick Type M adjustable in an instant.

Every time when I'm required to shave every single day for a longer periods of time like more than two weeks, the Schick is my main razor in the rotation, since I find it impossible to cut myself with or get even the slightest irritation and I can do as many strokes and passes as I please in order to get the closest shave possible while if I have to do that with most of my other razors on a daily bases, I will at least get a bit of irritation in the pursuit of BBS.

My other Schick razors shave just as good, but their handles are just way too small and they feel a bit uncomfortable for me and the other thing is that the Type M is adjustable and getting that extra efficiency makes things even better.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
My NOS Japanese SR is a wee bit boring. It’s stunning, intact, excellent grind, wicked sharp, clean and functioning scales, a robust precision instrument that is predictably awesome…but boring. Compared to an old Sheffield wedge I recently acquired that is beaten, broken and battle scarred yet provides a similar close shave result. Not boring.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I haven't had a boring shave since I left Gillette cartridge shaving behind. I still love that first downward stroke, WTG, on my right cheek ... with my Claymore Evo. Then the rest of a very fine shave as well.

I had my first try with the Schick Proline P-30 on Tuesday, very late in the day... we drove from Florida to PA yesterday (Wed)... 14 hours of driving time... 2 hours of miserable traffic around Washington, DC... we'll take the scenic route home... through Gettysburg.. down through some beautiful horse farms in Northern Virginia... and join I95 at Fredericksburg, VA. Avoid Baltimore and DC entirely.

I really like the P-30, at least, initially. We'll see how the next ~ 5 shaves go. Not boring, I'm guessing. ;)

A few comments here indicating that boring might mean perfect, and it can be a good thing to have a boring razor. Personally, I do not consider a really good shave boring, even if it is effortless and automatic. The feeling of a really good, close, comfortable shave is something I never take for granted or grow tired of. A razor like that would always make me smile, not yawn.

For me boring means the results are nothing remarkable, and the feel of using the razor is not interesting or pleasurable. Razors like that are not worth keeping in this world where there are so many really effective razors offering a great tactile sensation which we could choose instead.
Agree. Perfect description. it's all about the feel not the end result.

My Rockwell 6c with out a doubt is boring. It pains me to say right with the Rockwell 6c is my new Blackland ERA #5 SB and OC. As exciting as my Blackbird is, the ERA is just flat boring. Into the bottom boring drawer it goes.

Merkur 34G. it was a great looking razor. As you mentioned it was a boring one, and i sold it. Merkur 37C slant bar has replaced it and it is much more better.
In my opinion the most enjoyable razors are adjustables. I really like my Merkur Progress and Slim adjustables.

Probably my Parker Variant. Its handle is a little too long for me, and the thick head makes it hard to navigate around the chin. I bought this when I returned to DE shaving, and thought it would be versatile enough for all my shaving needs. But once I rediscovered my wife’s old Superspeed I realized how much more I enjoyed shaving with another razor. I now have a few other razors, and I would rather shave with any of them than the Variant. The main reason I keep it is I often need it for new blades. If I ever get skilled enough to shave with new blades in my other razors without butchering my face I will happily consider getting rid of it.

My Rockwell 6c with out a doubt is boring. It pains me to say right with the Rockwell 6c is my new Blackland ERA #5 SB and OC. As exciting as my Blackbird is, the ERA is just flat boring. Into the bottom boring drawer it goes.
Thanks. You save me a buying decision about Era. Blackbird is the most beloved in my big collection.

Top Bottom