What's new

What is Your Method for Pairing Soap and Aftershave?

I have always purchased my soap in sets so there was always a matching AS or ASB. Recently I started to use some great soaps, but the soap shop doesn't make a splash so I have to mix and match.

How do you go about matching your soaps and splashes?

Find a common thing and build on it.

Bay rum soap goes well with amber/musk/spicy/woody or Bootleggers EL Dorado
Green and mentholated—> connect to the menthol side of things
Italian Barbershop soap scents (Almond, Coconut, Tobacco) something powdery like Floid
Plain soapy like Palmolive—> something fresh like La Toja

It’s not like that the soap scent will stay, otherwise Arko Fans wouldn’t stand a chance to use ANY aftershave at all.

I don’t worry about it. Scented shaving soap is like scented bath soap. It’s there for “the moment”, like aroma therapy. Mostly the scent doesn't much last past the final face rinse, so you can pretty much use whatever AS scent you like.
Except for the “scented shaving experience”, it would make more sense to only have a few unscented soaps and concentrate on the post shave scents. ie: aftershave, cologne , eau de toilette and eau de parfums.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Seasonal on both.

Summer:

Soap: Proraso

AS: Daytime: Proraso, Classic Ice Blue Aqua Velva, Aqua Velva Ice Sport, Skin Bracer, Bootlegger's Green Freeze, Bootlegger's Artic Lime Blast. Nighttime: Bootlegger's Perfecto Virginia, Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum, Floid Vigoroso or Suave and many other vintage and modern aftershaves.

Fall:

Soap: Tabac / L'Occitane Cade

AS: Day or night, Tabac, Bootlegger's Perfecto Maduro, Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum, Bootlegger's El Dorado, German Pitralon Classic, vintage Shulton Old Spice and many other vintage and modern aftershaves. Fall is a good time for many of the vintage Avon's.

Winter:

Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch

AS: Bootlegger's Perfecto Maduro, Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum, Bootlegger's El Dorado, Avon Deep Woods, vintage Grey Flannel, vintage Shulton Old Spice, vintage Coty Musk, Avon Wild Country, vintage Polo Green, vintage Burberry, vintage Halston Z-14, vintage Avon Black Suede and Black Suede Leather, vintage and discontinued Calvin by Calvin Klein, Aqua Velva Musk and many other vintage and modern aftershaves.

Spring:

Soap: La Toja

AS: Swiss Pitralon Pure, La Toja, Bootlegger's Perfecto Virginia, Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum, Master Well Comb Lilac Vegetol, good time for many vintage Avon's, anything floral or citrus and many other vintage and modern aftershaves.

I don’t worry about it. Scented shaving soap is like scented bath soap. It’s there for “the moment”, like aroma therapy. Mostly the scent doesn't much last past the final face rinse, so you can pretty much use whatever AS scent you like....

^^^This!

I've used WSP Formula T Bay Rum soap for awhile now, never had any odd scent combos with any splash. Have a sandalwood soap up next. Again, it's a mild scent, and I don't expect any problems.
But if you used a strong scented soap, you might want to try and mix a splash with it before going out. YMMV. No sense being a weird scent at the office!

^^^This!

I've used WSP Formula T Bay Rum soap for awhile now, never had any odd scent combos with any splash. Have a sandalwood soap up next. Again, it's a mild scent, and I don't expect any problems.
But if you used a strong scented soap, you might want to try and mix a splash with it before going out. YMMV. No sense being a weird scent at the office!

The funny thing is for all of my focus on scent, once I get back into the office (post pandemic) I am going to have to go with either unscented or so close to the skin it won't matter :).

Except for the “scented shaving experience”, it would make more sense to only have a few unscented soaps and concentrate on the post shave scents. ie: aftershave, cologne , eau de toilette and eau de parfums.

I had that thought yesterday for the first time and couldn't deal with it as I did a mental survey of the boxes of soaps and splash that are stored away for spring/summer/holidays :). I might need SAD counseling. All part of the journey I tell myself. The mix and match really does provide a lot of freedom.

OkieStubble

I had that thought yesterday for the first time and couldn't deal with it as I did a mental survey of the boxes of soaps and splash that are stored away for spring/summer/holidays :). I might need SAD counseling. All part of the journey I tell myself. The mix and match really does provide a lot of freedom.

I own 200 aftershaves. If I could do it all over again, knowing what I know now? I would find and use only one unscented aftershave with skin goodies and then collect spray colognes or EdT's for various scent.

I own 200 aftershaves. If I could do it all over again, knowing what I know now? I would find and use only one unscented aftershave with skin goodies and then collect spray colognes or EdT's for various scent.

I have many scented shave soaps that allow me to enjoy varied aromatherapy moments while shaving. But, I leave it at my sink and don’t worry about wearing or matching that scent for the day. Instead, I use an unscented menthol aftershave, or Lucky Tiger, or Nivea balm 95% of the time.

Since I only use Cella soap, I don’t worry about it. The scent of soap is so faint once you rinse it’s a non issue. Matching aftershave with a EDT or cologne is more important IMO In which case citrus- Drakkar Noir or cool water/aspen, special Reserve- aramis, whiskey woods- Burberry London, bay rum- Havana or a tobacco. But sometimes I don’t worry about that either and just put on whatever.

I have a zillion aftershaves (not really as you know). I use whatever soap I choose for the day and then pick the aftershave I choose for the day. There are some that are exact matches to my soap and I likely will use those at that time but normally I just use what comes to my "fancy" for the day. The scent of most aftershave splashes just do not last long enough for me to worry about matching my soap.

OkieStubble

I have many scented shave soaps that allow me to enjoy varied aromatherapy moments while shaving. But, I leave it at my sink and don’t worry about wearing or matching that scent for the day. Instead, I use an unscented menthol aftershave, or Lucky Tiger, or Nivea balm 95% of the time.

Makes sense to me. :)

OkieStubble

Since I only use Cella soap, I don’t worry about it. The scent of soap is so faint once you rinse it’s a non issue. Matching aftershave with a EDT or cologne is more important IMO In which case citrus- Drakkar Noir or cool water/aspen, special Reserve- aramis, whiskey woods- Burberry London, bay rum- Havana or a tobacco. But sometimes I don’t worry about that either and just put on whatever.

All very good scents. you have great taste. Drakkar Noir was a signature scent of mine when I was much younger. Burberry London is a favorite as well. :)

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I work at home and slap on so much strong vintage cologne that any scent that may have lingered from the soap is completely obliterated. I have so much cologne and nobody to please but myself while my wife is at work that I apply cologne liberally several times per day. I am like something out of a Mandom commercial. 😆

OkieStubble

I have a zillion aftershaves (not really as you know). I use whatever soap I choose for the day and then pick the aftershave I choose for the day. There are some that are exact matches to my soap and I likely will use those at that time but normally I just use what comes to my "fancy" for the day. The scent of most aftershave splashes just do not last long enough for me to worry about matching my soap.

Agreed. If we think about it, unless the aftershave is cologne strength, using a cologne afterward, would about the only part of the shaving process, that lasts the entire day.

I use Nivea shaving cream protect & care (blue) Nivea balm protect & care(blue) and Nivea Deep lotion (black)
They have almost no scent
20210318_194041.jpg

So after I can use any ADT or ADP I like
20210318_194425.jpg

Top Bottom