What's new

what is your "holy grail" shave item?

I'm still somewhat new to DE shaving so I have no one "Holy Grail" of a shaving item. Although I still value and prefer to use my two Edwin Jagger DE razors. I still occasionally use my original Weishi razor as well but not too often. Maybe over time I'll find one item that I cannot live without in my shaving setup.

A Simpson KW3 boar brush - another member found one on the bay and it looks like an ultra rare and ultra large keyhole boar brush.

My absolute, Sangraal of sorts, in wet shaving is my current lineup of razor and barrel/blade/soap/bowl/brush: '73 Tech with 80mm Ikon Bulldog/Astra SP/Arko/wooden Miso bowl/Omega 10083. The one component subject to change, based on whim alone, is my brush. These products work perfectly for me.

Last edited:
A ball end handle with no cracks, splits, or scratches in the knurling that I can get replated in nickel. I like the old time look and prefer the balance when paired with a Long Comb NEW.

My grandfathers Gillette slim twist. My most prized possession. Its what led me to wet shaving. .. the sentimentality it surreal for me the date code reads V 3 made in england. He used it till his dying day in 1994...

Definitely witch hazel. I use it for everything since I got it a week ago. For example: I used it after my shave today, to clean my glasses, and to remove excess oil from my face with a cotton ball soaked in it.

The first few times I tried it I hated the smell, but I honestly barely smell it anymore.

A ball end handle with no cracks, splits, or scratches in the knurling that I can get replated in nickel. I like the old time look and prefer the balance when paired with a Long Comb NEW.

Yeah, but if you use it, then it will develop cracks. I'm sure there's at least three non-cracked ones left in the universe. Well, there's at least one, I'm sure.

I don't have a particular grail item in shaving, which is very different from my one-time fountain pen obsession: I had to have a certain pen, and once I found it, the thrill was a teeny bit evaporated. I still love and use the pen, though.

I've found most of my rare book desiderata, over the years.

But with shaving, it more a matter of progression as opposed to possessions. I have the razor I want, a Fatboy, and the brush I want, a very old Floris now-brown handle, with a new silvertip knot installed by Larry at WD. I think I might have found the blade I could use for every shave.

That leaves the huge question of soap, croaps, and creams. And aftershaves and balms. I'll never find The One, I bet, but I am close to admitting that I might have just discovered a soap that could pass the every-day test. Plus they all look so good laid out on the den counter.

Top Bottom