What's new

What Is Your Guitar Setup?

I know we have to have quite a few guitar players on the forum. I'd be interested to hear what everyone is using for their current guitar setup.
I'm currently playing a Gibson Les Paul. I'm running it through a Vox Lil' Night Train(a killer 2 watt tube head.) it's a single channel amp so I've been using a MXR Classic Overdrive to get some breakup. I ordered a looper today, which should be a lot of fun. I've just recently picked my guitar back up and have been playing so much I had to put it down because my fingers hurt. It sure is a great way to take your mind off everything :biggrin1:

I'm a bass player so most probably don't think I count :lol:

Never underestimate a great bass player! I actually owned a Dean 5 string for a while. I ended up selling it to put all of my focus on guitar. I enjoy a nice bass line just as much as a nice guitar riff.

What kind of gear are you rockin'?

I currently have two Strats, a Tele, an LP, and a Taylor acoustic. I play the electrics through any of my three amps, a Marshall Class 5 that I've done a few mods to, a tweed Bassman, and tweed deluxe that I built. In between I have a pedalboard with a few more pedals than I'd like to admit I have. Several of which are Wampler's cause I love every one of his pedals I've tried.

I don't know that a man can have too many pedals. I currently own 8. I have a little more self control with guitar stuff than I do with shaving stuff, only because guitar stuff is noticeably more expensive. I've been wanting a Strat for a while now. I've played a few at Guitar Center and fell in love. I told myself I need to wait until next winter to buy one. We will see if that happens :biggrin1:

I've had a few basses over the years (Music Man, Warwick, Ibanez, Lakland, Spector, Squier, MTD) but I always come back to either my Fender Pbass or Jbass. I've had a few amps also, but right now I run them through an ampeg head and cab.

I play drums also, but I'm using a Roland electronic kit since my wife isn't too keen on an acoustic kit in the house. :a6:

$WP_20140213_004.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Blueridge BR-160. It's an excellent copy of the Martin HD28. I usually just put it up to the microphone. :)

I've played bluegrass since I was a teenager. I've played a lot of other stuff over the years but it's hard to beat what I cut my teeth on.

Here is my line up. I plug directly into my Behringer Xenyx 2442USB mixer, Shure Sm58a Beta for vocals.

'04 Martin D-28
'75 Sigma DM-5
'85 Yamaha LL-15
'94 Yamaha FG 460S-12A
'91 Martin Backpacker
'08 Johnson JR-410 Square neck resonator
'00 Godin A6
'12 Gretsch "Clarophone" Banjo Uke

Fishman Matrix Infinity pickups
Fishman Spectra Aura DI

$D-28 Body.jpg

Nothing spectacular here but it gets the job done.. Epiphone Les Paul Special and an Ibanez african zebrawood acoustic electric going to a 70's Peavey tube amp. Not sure of the wattage but it's 2x12. Good old Boss Distortion and Cry Baby pedals in between

'98 Taylor 810 LE w/Fishman Natural II, '92 Martin HD-28, run a Goose neck Shure Beta 98 on DPA guitar clip

Joe Pass Epiphone Archtop, Squire Affinity Tele Noiseless PUs. I run these straight to a Moded Blues Jr

Mostly a purist. I tried a bunch of effects through the years and have narrowed it down to one effect, a stereo compressor I use only if I'm playing rock or country on the Tele.

I don't know that a man can have too many pedals. I currently own 8. I have a little more self control with guitar stuff than I do with shaving stuff, only because guitar stuff is noticeably more expensive. I've been wanting a Strat for a while now. I've played a few at Guitar Center and fell in love. I told myself I need to wait until next winter to buy one. We will see if that happens :biggrin1:

Get the Strat :thumbup1:

A co-worker and I tried to make a list of all the famous guitarists and what brand guitar they played. Me being a Fender guy and him being more on the Gibson side. If I remember correctly, I think Fender players nudged out Gibson players by a very tiny margin. Of course, the list only consisted of people we could name/remember, I'm sure we missed a few along the way.I really like Gibson also :001_cool:

Get the Strat :thumbup1:

A co-worker and I tried to make a list of all the famous guitarists and what brand guitar they played. Me being a Fender guy and him being more on the Gibson side. If I remember correctly, I think Fender players nudged out Gibson players by a very tiny margin. Of course, the list only consisted of people we could name/remember, I'm sure we missed a few along the way.I really like Gibson also :001_cool:

When I was younger I was a die hard Gibson fan. I swore I'd never own anything Fender. All I played was heavy rock and some metal. As I've gotten older my tastes have changed as well. Now I really like playing bluesy and alt rock stuff. There's just something about that single coil tone from a Strat that I'm drawn to. I will own one someday. I want this one http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-...ocaster-Electric-Guitar-103538609-i1147157.gc in the honey blonde finish. I'm just not ready to drop $650. I also have to decide if I want the maple or rosewood fretboard.

When I was younger I was a die hard Gibson fan. I swore I'd never own anything Fender. All I played was heavy rock and some metal. As I've gotten older my tastes have changed as well. Now I really like playing bluesy and alt rock stuff. There's just something about that single coil tone from a Strat that I'm drawn to. I will own one someday. I want this one http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-...ocaster-Electric-Guitar-103538609-i1147157.gc in the honey blonde finish. I'm just not ready to drop $650. I also have to decide if I want the maple or rosewood fretboard.

Sounds like my music journey. When I was young, I was all metal and hard rock, as I got older I got more into the blues and other genres, but metal is still my "go to" music :punk:

Honey blonde is a good choice. I dabbled in guitars for a while and had a black Strat w/ maple fingerboard. Just couldn't get used to those tiny strings lol

30 years later, I'm still a garage-band-caliber musician, albeit with much better gear than when I actually played in a friend's garage. Currently playing a Rickenbacker 4001 Mapleglo which I fell in love with so hard I left the store with it 20 minutes after first touching it. It's gorgeous, and sustains so nicely I have to stop myself from doing the Nigel Tufnel: "You can go ... go and have a bite, and you'll still be hearing that one." I'm playing it through a custom stereo preamp that was hand-built by a good friend of mine who builds and repairs tube amps. A retired navy nuke, he knows from electricity; truly, an artist with a soldering iron. Rounding it out is an older solid-state power amp powering a 2 x 10" Avatar cab. If I start to play seriously again, I may get a 15" cab and run each pickup to its own channel and cabinet. That would be somethin'!

I've also started building pedals, which has been a damned rewarding - and frustrating - experience. I suspect it's going to take a good long while to build reliably and quickly, but the process is fascinating, and it's just incredibly cool to use an overdrive I built myself and say, "Hey, that sounds nice!"

Don't tell my Rick, but I think I may have fallen for a satin-finish USA Fender Precision. Bored this last weekend, I went down to the Great Satan (Guitar Center) and ended up picking up one of those, and what a player! And it had that unmistakable P-bass sound ... *sigh*

I'm a bass player. Here's my rig:

Lakland 55-01 Fretted and Fretless -> Homemade AB Pedal -> Electroharmoniox Bass Microsynth -> DOD 250 OD -> Homebrew Hematoma -> Akai Custom Flanger -> Electroharmonix Micro QTron -> MXR Phaser -> BOSS CEB - 3 -> Ampeg SVT 3Pro -> Aguilar 1x15

Here's an older pic of my board. It's missing the DOD and the flanger.

$IMG_0701_zps4701dfd2.jpg

Here's my basses:

$DSCF0969.jpg

b_train - Ricks are sweet. Never owned one myself but if Geddy rocked one back in the early days (and Chris Squire) then you know it's some good stuff

bassman - Lakland makes some awesome basses. I used to have 44-02 and DJ signature.

Top Bottom