What's new

What is Your Grail Razor?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I love that film! The truth is of course that my favourite razors are the ones that I dream of but have yet to obtain. I think I will keep them that way, and stop expanding my modest collection in search of that one thing; it is a fruitless task that does not lead to contentment. Just look at some members here who have barely opened their latest razor delivery before they order another. To each his own I guess. Thanks for making me smile and think 👍
Lots of wisdom in your words.

I don't understand what grails have to do with shave quality.

I have a 1916 ABC which is my Grandfathers birth razor. I used it Tuesday morning because it would have been his birthday. I also had it on my desk on Monday and Tuesday - simply because I have great memories of him. If I had a razor that he actually used it would be so much better but that will never be.

A grail razor is something that you derive some pleasure in owning it. That could be something as simple as my 1916 or your birth razor that you pull out once a year. Maybe a rare razor "only x amount were made and I have one of them"
You may not even want to shave with it - and there is nothing wrong with that as well.

If I buy a "grail" razor and I don't get the wanted shave quality out of it, it does not cease to be a grail for me.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I agree with the above. I have quite a few razors that I hold on a high level of regard due to some sentimental reason, or its rarity in the grand scheme of things, or it's pure beauty, or its mechanical wonderment. The shave quality is sometimes immaterial. If it were only about the shave, I would probably just keep an RFB and a Timeless and call it a day.

mine would be the rocnel sailor (i did get on the pre order)
and my grandpa's razor but he passed and it got trash binned when i was too young to care about shaving so it will be a grail ill never be able to get. guess it is a fitting grail.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
...my grandpa's razor but he passed and it got trash binned when i was too young to care about shaving so it will be a grail ill never be able to get. guess it is a fitting grail.

Same. Except I didn't start wet shaving until I was about 40. So I wasnt too young to care, I just didnt know, and my parents chucked them. Both grandfather's razors went in the trash. It's a bit heartbreaking.

For me, it would have to be my Timeless. Smooth cap, solid bar, matte finish, .95 gap baseplate with the barber pole handle.
Its such a smooth, close, effortless shave and the blades always align perfectly in the razor with no fuss or fiddling with blade alignment.

For me, it would have to be my Timeless. Smooth cap, solid bar, matte finish, .95 gap baseplate with the barber pole handle.
Its such a smooth, close, effortless shave and the blades always align perfectly in the razor with no fuss or fiddling with blade alignment.
Agree totally, but mine is the Timeless Ti .68SB Matte finish.

Agree totally, but mine is the Timeless Ti .68SB Matte finish.
I started out with the .68 plate and really liked it but I feel like the .95 is more efficient. With the .95, I can do 2 passes and get near BBS. With the .68 it took 3.
Both give great shaves and the .68 does give a very close, comfortable, no nicks, no blood shave; it just takes a bit more work.

To me, my Grail razor is the one that's given me the best shave, and when I found the Timeless Ti95 everything before it had to go as there has never been a razor that gave me a shave even close to what I get with it... I shave every other day because it is so efficient yet the smoothest razor to date as well. It's 2 passes and done every shave I have and I'm rewarded with a BBS that lasts well into the next day. This is why I only need to shave every other
day!!

The only razor I own...
Ti95DC.jpg

Currently using merkur 34 &37 and have been lusting the next level. As soon as i get an excuse to buy a new razor its between a Timeless or Blackbird

Top Bottom