What's new

What is Your Grail Razor?

My holy grail is a razor that's in my den for more than a year, but I recognized that somewhat later, in the last few weeks.
It's my Rockwell 6s. And I recognized that my Rex is a fine razor but not my holy grail.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

I hope so! I always wanted a toggle, but the prices are just too high for me to justify. The Janus at this price is also way too high for me. I might consider if it comes down and is made in larger quantities. But someday, maybe I will get a toggle of some sort.

a reasonable good toggle with a shipper hovers at 300-350 on eBay.....Janus is about double.
Im glad I tried the adjustable function on cheap razors like slim and Fatboy....made me realise I don't really
avail of different gaps...usually just pick one setting and go with it. That being said, a Toggle is a marvellous example
of American design and ingenuity.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
a reasonable good toggle with a shipper hovers at 300-350 on eBay.....Janus is about double.
Im glad I tried the adjustable function on cheap razors like slim and Fatboy....made me realise I don't really
avail of different gaps...usually just pick one setting and go with it. That being said, a Toggle is a marvellous example
of American design and ingenuity.
I agree, for me adjustables are useful if you are starting out and nice to have in the den. I rarely use my Slim and never use my Fatboy; I am glad I have then but would not miss either. On the rare occasions I use them I never change the setting.

Bottom dial Fatboy
Apollo Mikron or Ben Hur equivalent
Eclipse Red Ring
Bell End Aristocrat
mint ^
Rocnel Sailor Adjustable
I’m sure more will come.

Last edited:
From all the razors i have regardless of price my most used & most consistent shaver is the vintage Minora Bakelite, any & every blade pairs up magically, no matter the length of beard growth i have, it never disappoints me, perfect Goldilocks zone not too aggressive not too mild, efficient, smooth & fool proof in terms of finding the angle, so good that i bought 4 of them to last me a very long time. I can buy expensive razors because i enjoy experiencing & experimenting with razors that are new to me but nothing is as consistent in all aspects as the little old Minora.

I have mine (see signature)

...yeah, I have humble dreams. I wouldnt mind a no date code Canadian Tech, mint, new in box, but I wouldn't really want to pay premium price for it.

Of my original list, I still need a Chippendale, a Gorham, Darwin, Eureka and an Eclipse Red ring. Maybe a Kirby Beard.
But my grail razor?
A complete litho tin set, or pasteboard set. Either one of those would be awesome.

Really interesting points about the quest for your grail, and when you finally get a chance to shave with it, it either doesn’t live up to pedestal you put it on, ...or there is another must have razor just round the corner.

Really interesting points about the quest for your grail, and when you finally get a chance to shave with it, it either doesn’t live up to pedestal you put it on, ...or there is another must have razor just round the corner.

Self discipline, my friend. Self discipline. Something which many people here seem to lack. :D

Always that ONE MORE around the corner. Just ONE MORE like a razor/brush/soap junkie getting a fix.

EclipseRedRing

I agree, like so many things in life, it is often better to dream of something than to actually acquire it. A dream never disappoints, and provides pleasure for as long as you continue to use it, at no cost whatsoever. Some of my favourite razors are ones I bought because they were cheap, didn't expect much, and had a great surprise. Conversely, the ones I have sought out have often proven to be a disappointment; probably as much my fault as the razor. I have learned to be satisfied with what I have and I can understand why many shavers collect loads of razors and eventually do a den purge and sell all but a few.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I agree, like so many things in life, it is often better to dream of something than to actually acquire it. A dream never disappoints, and provides pleasure for as long as you continue to use it, at no cost whatsoever. Some of my favourite razors are ones I bought because they were cheap, didn't expect much, and had a great surprise. Conversely, the ones I have sought out have often proven to be a disappointment; probably as much my fault as the razor. I have learned to be satisfied with what I have and I can understand why many shavers collect loads of razors and eventually do a den purge and sell all but a few.
1575539365116.png

EclipseRedRing

I love that film! The truth is of course that my favourite razors are the ones that I dream of but have yet to obtain. I think I will keep them that way, and stop expanding my modest collection in search of that one thing; it is a fruitless task that does not lead to contentment. Just look at some members here who have barely opened their latest razor delivery before they order another. To each his own I guess. Thanks for making me smile and think 👍

Top Bottom