What's new

What is Your Grail Razor?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I am not a collector but have a modest group of assorted user grade razors, some pretty decent brushes, and various vintage aftershaves all of which are used regularly. I am satisfied with what I have and do not really want anything else. But, I would trade all my shaving gear, and a lot more besides, for any razor used by my late Father; sadly that can never be.
So well said. Me too.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Always the next one
Also well said!

I thought I was done. Then I saw a 1959 Fatboy in an antique store for $15. Obviously I bought it.

But I'm not chasing any. If I see one in the wild I will buy it, if the War Department ain't with me, lol!

Any of the OC TTO Gillette razors. They are a piece of history bridging the old three piece razors and the super speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If a grail razor is something you're looking for, then I have none.

My current top of the heap is a Wolfman WR2 1.55mm gap razor in titanium.

Everything about it is just at the top end of what Ive ever experienced.

Efficiency, smoothness, balance, looks and weight appeal.

I'll brave any amount of flaming to claim it is the best razor in the world right now.
(of course, if you prefer mild razors it could be the worst razor in the world.)

My 1.45mm stainless wolfman is just a whisker behind.
Cant argue with any of that. Except maybe they seem to be as obtainable as a winning Mega Millon ticket.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I am not a collector but have a modest group of assorted user grade razors, some pretty decent brushes, and various vintage aftershaves all of which are used regularly. I am satisfied with what I have and do not really want anything else. But, I would trade all my shaving gear, and a lot more besides, for any razor used by my late Father; sadly that can never be.

Thank you for reminding us of what is truly important.

Cant argue with any of that. Except maybe they seem to be as obtainable as a winning Mega Millon ticket.

You think that’s unobtainable—try getting your mitts on a Janus toggle that Gus showed!

You think that’s unobtainable—try getting your mitts on a Janus toggle that Gus showed!
Haha! Fortunately, I have the 1.55Ti and Serial #50 Janus on order. Hopefully, the Janus will be worth the wait. I have very, very high expectations based on a couple of reviews of the prototype and comments by the owner. *fingers crossed*

Ok I agree that dad's or grandpa's razors would not be replaceable and a 1903 or bottom dial are in a class all by themselves.

However with only 50-51 ever made the grail for me was the Paradigm Ti1 which merges smoothness and efficiency in a single package. After some work I managed to get one and use it daily without any difficulties. Too bad Andy never released more as the community, at the time, was not happy with its aggressiveness. I guess the Paradigm Ti1 was ahead of its time as there are several others in my den (or will be released shortly) that may be more aggressive. My RAD has nearly been satiated.

I think I read somewhere that Janus will be produced in larger quantities after the initial run
of 50. $600 for a razor from an untested brand is at the high end and reviews will be critical.
Exciting release nonetheless.....industry needs a win after the diamondback saga.

My Grail razor is a Gillette Old Type Bulldog. I just love the look of it. I have several Old Types with the ball end handle. But I'd love a Bulldog in good condition, preferably without a cracked handle. Hoping to find one in the wild as I'm not interested in paying gobs of money for one. And I'll end up using it. Like others, I'm not a collector but I do have a nice "collection" of user grade razors. I keep visiting a local antique store near me that has lots of "booths' where sellers show their stuff. Several of them have some razors. I've only seen some old types, slims and techs and some really beat up straights. I remain optimistic.

My Grail razor is Razorock Mamba 53. One of the mildest razors out there but it still cuts really well. Pairs great with the halo handle.

I think I read somewhere that Janus will be produced in larger quantities after the initial run
of 50. $600 for a razor from an untested brand is at the high end and reviews will be critical.
Exciting release nonetheless.....industry needs a win after the diamondback saga.
I hope so! I always wanted a toggle, but the prices are just too high for me to justify. The Janus at this price is also way too high for me. I might consider if it comes down and is made in larger quantities. But someday, maybe I will get a toggle of some sort.

Top Bottom