What's new

What is Your Grail Razor?

What is your grail razor ...and why?

So I’ve been collecting razors for a while now. I’ve finally tracked down my grail razor. It may not be the rarest or most expensive razor I own, but it’s the one that I’ve longed for. A mint English Gillette Aristocrat #15 OC.
This got me thinking about why we are a little obsessed with our hobby, and what razor it is that people long for.

The Gillette Aristocrat #15 OC, for me anyway, is the one that stands out from the crowd. The shiny Rhodium barberpole handle and the quintessential teeth -sophisticated yet no mistaking it looks like it means business. It just looks the part.

Interested to know whether others have grail razor that they are holding out for, and what it is about the razor that intrigues you.

Last edited:
My grail razor would be a razor from @bluesman 7

Why? I think he makes the most beautiful razors. Everything I have read that he has written tells me he really knows steel. And the bellied hollow grinds are simply exquisite - look at the end on pictures. Even if you aren't a straight razor user I am sure you will appreciate the beauty and craftsmanship.

I have almost bought one in the past a couple of times but the exchange rate has been bad each time. Plus there are the horrendous customs charges.

Maybe next year...

If a grail razor is something you're looking for, then I have none.

My current top of the heap is a Wolfman WR2 1.55mm gap razor in titanium.

Everything about it is just at the top end of what Ive ever experienced.

Efficiency, smoothness, balance, looks and weight appeal.

I'll brave any amount of flaming to claim it is the best razor in the world right now.
(of course, if you prefer mild razors it could be the worst razor in the world.)

My 1.45mm stainless wolfman is just a whisker behind.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I would really like to find an old lather catcher. Ever-Ready/Star/Gem/ASR. I really like the ones that have cut ins. Firstly, I love SE razors. Secondly, they are among the oldest of all safety razors and I much prefer vintage razors to modern.

Of course, my grail changes as my collection grows and I make new acquisitions. I actually have a lather catcher on the way, but I have no idea what the quality is. I bought it in a lot and it wasn't really featured. I'm hoping for a good example...we shall see.

They have not made it yet, but it would be an '89' head with a lightly knurled handle, in polished titanium or stainless but as light in weight as the current 89's are, with assorted baseplates from the current mild models, to much more aggressive, with the same balance point as the EJ DE89LBL has.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Probably a gold Apollo Mikron like this beauty from @Jake

full

My grail razor ended up being the Razorock Mamba 70. That razor cured me of wanting anything else because I get a perfect shave with it every time. For a while I wanted to see if I could collect every GEM or see how many different Gillette’s I could find, but I gave up the chase. Now I shave with the Mamba, a couple of straights, and rotate something else every once in a while.

If I did get one more razor, it would be a custom straight. Some of those are amazing works of art, but have the price tag to match which has kept me away from acquiring one.

Grail? New Old Stock, still in the Litho-tin, without rust or scratch, 1903 Double Ring.

We are talking about The Grail, right?

My most go-to razor is just a plain Parker 97R. It's my grail. I like it because it has just the right amount of blade exposure for me and it has a nice blade gap. It always gives me a great smooth and close shave.

Parker_Arko.JPG

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have no clue until I shave with it, at which point I own it anyway.

The three razors I sought out, and that are not readily available, are the Gillette English Tech/NEW Hybrid, the Gillette German #34 and the Personna 'BBS-0'.

All three of these razors, with a suitable Ti handle, are incredible razors and could easily be the grail.

R

romsitsa

A LeCoq and a single ring, so I can build a two piece adjustable caged head.

Adam

The Rex Ambassador is pretty much as good as it gets for me. I admit to some attraction to the Timeless Bronze with that cool scalloped cap.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I am not a collector but have a modest group of assorted user grade razors, some pretty decent brushes, and various vintage aftershaves all of which are used regularly. I am satisfied with what I have and do not really want anything else. But, I would trade all my shaving gear, and a lot more besides, for any razor used by my late Father; sadly that can never be.

Top Bottom