What's new

What is your gold standard blade(s) to judge other blades?

For me definitely Polsilver - I get 4 smooth shaves from each blade. I also consider Feather to be up there but I only get three shaves before I start to feel some tugging.

Astra SP and Feathers used to be my go to blades, thanks to a PIF from a member here though, I'm exploring a lot of new Blades. I'm still working through the blades but so far I think Personna Reds and Voskhods, maybe the Nacets, are all better blades (for me).

I'm exclusively a vintage blade user. My top two are Personna 74 and Wilkinson Light Brigades but my others are close seconds and I would have no problem using any of them only for the rest of my life.

I've tried all kinds of blades and GSB is the blade with which I now shave almost exclusively. I have a few tucks of Gillette Platinum which I also find pleasing to use

How do you compare the GSB and platinum?

I actually just shaved with a new Platinum today. I personally find the GSB to be a smoother blade - it seems to glide whereas I notice more tugging with the Platinum. That said, I do get as close a shave with the Platinum as I do with the GSB - so it isn't a sharpness issue, but the experience isn't as smooth and pleasant as with the GSB. I exclusively use Gillette Aristocrat Jr razors

I actually just shaved with a new Platinum today. I personally find the GSB to be a smoother blade - it seems to glide whereas I notice more tugging with the Platinum. That said, I do get as close a shave with the Platinum as I do with the GSB - so it isn't a sharpness issue, but the experience isn't as smooth and pleasant as with the GSB. I exclusively use Gillette Aristocrat Jr razors
Good to know. I have not used my platinum in ages. :D

Time to break one out soon. ;)

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Wilkinson Sword for me. The blade of choice when I started DE shaving again. I think they are the Indian ones.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
For me it's two blades that indicates whether a different blade is sharper or not as sharp and they are ASTRA SP & PERSONNA RED as great standards as Sharp and smooth. Bought 100 of each and never regretted it.
Latest blade review Rev #4 sept 15 2018.jpg

Feathers are my gold standard in blades. Whenever I find the notion to try a new blade it's sharpness and smoothness are compared to a Feather.

Seldom use a DE, mostly for travel. But when the call is heard, Astra Superior Stainless (blue box); just bought 100. Will probably last until I die..

For me it's two blades that indicates whether a different blade is sharper or not as sharp and they are ASTRA SP & PERSONNA RED as great standards as Sharp and smooth. Bought 100 of each and never regretted it.
View attachment 926458

I need to try Astra SPs again. I had high expectations for them but they left me underwhelmed (Voskhods fall into the same category but worse).

Right now my gold standard is Gillette Silver Blues.

For out n out sharpness feather blades though I’m really smitten with genuine Russian ruby blades - all the sharpness of a feather and so very much smooth and face friendly!

Top Bottom