What's new

What is your gold standard blade(s) to judge other blades?

Personna Lab or Personna Medical Prep blade. I can get up to 12 close, smooth shaves with these blades. I judge smoothness and longevity with these blades.

1 - Feather (after first shave).
2 - PolSilver super iridium.
3 - Gillette 7 O'Clock black.

At this point, I refuse to use any others. None treat me as well as these and even if they do get me every once in a while if I go a while without shaving and get a longer beard, I never have tugging or pain.

Dorco ST301. Always give me a smooth shave. I know everyone seems to love Feathers but they're usually too harsh for my face unless I use a super mild razor.

I should really try Astras with as many people that seem to be recommending them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It hurts me that none of you guys are responding to how hilariously funny that was.
Oops, I was sitting back nodding in agreement, so I kind of missed it. Whoosh, right over my bald spot!!

I love GSB's and they're my gold standard to judge other blades by. My tippity-top, #1 blade is Gillette Platinum Plus (Brazil) blades, but I consider them special.

I've not used the GSB yet. I think it'll be the next blade after my nacet dies. Just to see how it compares to my platinum.

Oops, I was sitting back nodding in agreement, so I kind of missed it. Whoosh, right over my bald spot!!

I love GSB's and they're my gold standard to judge other blades by. My tippity-top, #1 blade is Gillette Platinum Plus (Brazil) blades, but I consider them special.
You're a kind man, Grundi.

Astra SP.
I would judge Gillette Silver Blue to be equal to them in performance and longevity, but the GSBs cost twice as much, so what's the point?

I should really try Astras with as many people that seem to be recommending them.
Specifically, the "Superior Platinum" version (green & white pack), not the "Superior Stainless" (blue & white pack).

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Wilkinson Sword Classic. Used them for 20 years before trying any others. I've had several blades last longer, but few feel as nice straight out of the packet. Every time I go back to them now, it's like coming home and sleeping in your own bed again, after being travelling a while.

It hurts me that none of you guys are responding to how hilariously funny that was.
I thought it was great. But I didn't want to bother you by quoting you. Which is why I wish B & B had a 'like' function. I even questioned the admins about it, way back when. Their preference is to not have one.

Does anyone know for sure that the Gillette silver blues are out of production?

Connaught lists it as NOS. ebay prices are jacked up.

Astra SP.
I would judge Gillette Silver Blue to be equal to them in performance and longevity, but the GSBs cost twice as much, so what's the point?

Specifically, the "Superior Platinum" version (green & white pack), not the "Superior Stainless" (blue & white pack).

So I forgot that ATT ships a five-pack of Astras with their razors. Gave one a try this morning with the Atlas M1. What a smooth, mild, pretty darn close shave! I might even switch from Dorco.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Astra SP- first 100 blade purchase and used well for the first 4 +months of DE shaving. Just a great blade to use as a standard for longevity and sharpness to compare other blades. One of my Top five blades for me.
Latest blade review Rev #4 sept 15 2018.jpg

Gillette Silver Blue
Gillette Nacet
Polsilver

And in no particular order. I could throw the Personna Med Prep, Lab Blue / Personna Crystal Super * Platinum in there as well.

Top Bottom