What's new

What is your favourite film?

AJS said:
Seeing as we've moved the subject onto Kevin Smith films...

So,

I was out this evening with SWMBO to get some ink for the printer and happened to see Chasing Amy on DVD - after thinking about K. Smith films so much today I just had to buy it... I can't wait to watch it later.

NMMB said:
So,

I was out this evening with SWMBO to get some ink for the printer and happened to see Chasing Amy on DVD - after thinking about K. Smith films so much today I just had to buy it... I can't wait to watch it later.

I had a devil of a job tracking down all the Kevin Smith films, it was a mission I started having watched Dogma purely by accident on one of the premium movie channels. They're all available easily now but back then it was difficult. I think I had to buy Clerks from America, Dogma came in a 3 box set (the other 2 films I haven't even watched), Chasing Amy from Ebay, Mallrats from a little independant DVD retailler.

I watch a movie to be entertained. I don't want to think. I don't want to "figure out". I don't want to be on the "edge of my seat". Therefore:

Eddie and the Cruisers (all of them)
Rambo (all of them)
Charade
Arthur (I and II)
Most John Wayne and most Clint Eastwood movies
Silverado (there should have been a sequel)
Steven Segal movies
The Glenn Miller Story
The Cheyenne Social Club (who wouldn't want to own a whore house with Shirley Jones?)

Randy

Jonnybc said:
I had a devil of a job tracking down all the Kevin Smith films, it was a mission I started having watched Dogma purely by accident on one of the premium movie channels. They're all available easily now but back then it was difficult. I think I had to buy Clerks from America, Dogma came in a 3 box set (the other 2 films I haven't even watched), Chasing Amy from Ebay, Mallrats from a little independant DVD retailler.

Taking the discussion away from films, but keeping with Kevin Smith, what do you think about the Clerks TV series?

AJS said:
Taking the discussion away from films, but keeping with Kevin Smith, what do you think about the Clerks TV series?

Oddly enough, and I do have a fixatioon on Kevin Smith's films, I haven't seen a single episode of the TV series. I can't really explain why.

Jonnybc said:
Oddly enough, and I do have a fixatioon on Kevin Smith's films, I haven't seen a single episode of the TV series. I can't really explain why.

You really should track down the set. Although the series is very different in tone than Clerks the movie, there's even an episode where fans of the film complain to Dante and Randall about the quality of the show, it is very funny. Think of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back crossed with The Simpsons with a little bit of Family Guy thrown in for good measure and you will have some idea of what this series is like. Although as far as I am concerned this is much better than the Simpson's. It's not the most sophisticated comedy in the world, but it has enough in jokes to keep Kevin Smith fans happy and enough pop culture references for even the most hardened film/tv/comic geek.

North by Northwest obviously.

It's Hitchcock in his full powers, great story, beautifully shot.

Oh, and I'd take a train trip with Eva Marie Saint any day.

- Jim

AJS said:
You really should track down the set ...

Very true! If you are a K. Smith fan (and it does appear that you are), then you will probably think that it is great. I will warn, however, that trying to get a non-fan to watch it is not easy - they will not think it is very funny (at least this has been my experience).

NMMB said:
Very true! If you are a K. Smith fan (and it does appear that you are), then you will probably think that it is great. I will warn, however, that trying to get a non-fan to watch it is not easy - they will not think it is very funny (at least this has been my experience).

Ok, ok!! You've convinced me, I'm gonna get the series! :thumbup:

I love movies, I can't pick one or even ten favorites:

Wild River, Montgomery Clift and Lee Remick
To Kill a Mockingbird, Gregory Peck
The Fight of the Phoenix, James Stewart
It's A Wonderful Life, James Stewart
On Golden Pond, Henry Fonda
Saving Private Ryan, Tom Hanks
Braveheart, Mel Gibson
ET
Forrest Gump, Tom Hanks, Sally Field
Shrek, Donkey and Gingerbread Man :)
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Original Beverly Hills Cop, Eddie Murphy
Dances With Wolves, Kevin Costner
The Hunt for Red October, Sean Connrery
Remember the Titans, Denzel Washington
The Pelican Brief, Julia Roberts, Denzel Washington

Tony Miller said:
What is your favourite film?

Kodachrome 64 <g>

Tony

Really? I prefer Fujichrome Velvia 50... but I think that we may be going off of the intended topic a little... :smile:

NMMB said:
Really? I prefer Fujichrome Velvia 50... but I think that we may be going off of the intended topic a little... :smile:

No, Kodak, Fuji, Ilford, those would be on topic for film. Now, all of the MOVIES getting listed...THEY are off topic! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Randy

Ah... the English have always called films, well... er films. I think the term movies comes from our colonial cousins. :tongue_sm

NMMB said:
So,

I found it provocative and darkly humourous myself.

Top Bottom