What's new

What is your favourite brush?

As a newbie here, and to wetshaving in general, I feel awkward about starting a poll like this; I do not mean to step on anybodies toes (this certainly is not meant as a competitor for the brush war) but just as a point of reference for my own peace of mind and to help me decide on my future brush purchases who is your favourite brush manufacturer and what model in particular do you like best?
Look forward to your replies,
Warm regards,
AJS

Sorry, didn't see that; bored and lonely just looking for something to fill the time. Please feel free to delete this, I would, but as has already been established i don't have a clue what I'm doing with computers.
Apologetically,
AJS

S

shavingrace

AJS said:
Sorry, didn't see that; bored and lonely just looking for something to fill the time. Please feel free to delete this, I would, but as has already been established i don't have a clue what I'm doing with computers.
Apologetically,
AJS

Don't be silly: members here routinely address questions that have been answered before. Since the thread that Scotto linked for you dealt specifically with our three top brushes, I will tell you that my absolute favorite brush in the known universe is the Savile Row Silvertip 3128, closely followed by the Simpsons CH1 "Chubby". These are very different brushes, one a luxuriously soft but still firm enough monster, the other a small, tightly packed and firm but still soft at the tips giant killer.

No more more loneliness and boredom; time to get obsessed with a healthy pastime!

Thanks for the reply, I was interested in what everyone thought about the various brushmakers and their wares because my experiences so far have been negative. Started with a Men U synthetic (I know, I know) followed with Kent BK4 and Rooney Super Silvertip. The kent must just be a bad example, I know everyone else rates them very highly, but mine sheds like a cat with alopecia; unfortunately I lost the receipt and the suppliers details so it would seem that I am stuck with it. The Rooney was taken out of a hotel room, thieving *******'s !
Looking to get into soaps and just wanted some suggestions as to a suitable brush, I still don't have a clear idea of what brush characteristics are suited to what setup.
Warm regards,
AJS

Thanks Austin, I have wanted a Shavemac since I started in the hobby, but the setup on their website confuses me because it wont let you enter a United Kingdom address as it should appear on a parcel. Also, they only quote US delivery charges. As an alternative, I was thinking of a Saville Row silvertip from QED, the owner was really helpful and they are made by Shavemac right?
Warm regards,
AJS

Since we're doing this, I'd say my favorite brush right now is my Simpsons Ch2 super.

But I GOTTA get a Saville Row... SO MANY of the most experienced shavers here rank the SRs among their highest!!!

AJS said:
Thanks for the reply, I was interested in what everyone thought about the various brushmakers and their wares because my experiences so far have been negative. Started with a Men U synthetic (I know, I know) followed with Kent BK4 and Rooney Super Silvertip. The kent must just be a bad example, I know everyone else rates them very highly, but mine sheds like a cat with alopecia; unfortunately I lost the receipt and the suppliers details so it would seem that I am stuck with it. The Rooney was taken out of a hotel room, thieving *******'s !
Looking to get into soaps and just wanted some suggestions as to a suitable brush, I still don't have a clear idea of what brush characteristics are suited to what setup.
Warm regards,
AJS
Perhaps you can read about the Savile 3118.. Reasonably priced SILVERTIP. Great on soaps and creams, it is small enough that you can carry it with you and avoid thieves.

I enjoy all my brushes, with their varied characteristics. If there is one, however, that literally gives me an endorphin rush of joy when I use it, 'tis my SR silvertip. Pure luxury.

Scotto said:
I enjoy all my brushes, with their varied characteristics. If there is one, however, that literally gives me an endorphin rush of joy when I use it, 'tis my SR silvertip. Pure luxury.

Hard to beat the SR silvertips. I have the 3126 and just received a 3120 last week. They are a great value as far as I'm concerned and wonderful brushes.

S

Sam

Why everyone knows the answer to which brush is the best: why it is indeed the next brush you desire to acquire, lol

Sam

S

shavingrace

Ah, you see, AJS, the fellows here all have good hearts! You cannot go wrong with the Savile Row Silvertip line, and as Don stated above, the "entry-level" 3118 is a pip, and the little giant killer is only $75, which is an unbelievable value. Start with a small Savile Row Silvertip and you'll never look back, nor will you ever be disappointed. And yes, they are made by Shavemac, though the excellent Charles at QED will not admit it--but who cares!

You're among friends here, AJS.

Regards,

Phil

shavingrace said:
Ah, you see, AJS, the fellows here all have good hearts! You cannot go wrong with the Savile Row Silvertip line, and as Don stated above, the "entry-level" 3118 is a pip, and the little giant killer is only $75, which is an unbelievable value. Start with a small Savile Row Silvertip and you'll never look back, nor will you ever be disappointed. And yes, they are made by Shavemac, though the excellent Charles at QED will not admit it--but who cares!

You're among friends here, AJS.

Regards,

Phil

Phil,
While I agree - SR's are most likely Shavemacs - if you look at my brush war overall pic photos - a new SR silvertip looks different than a new Shavemac silvertip as far as the head of badger hair.

I have several brushes that I would consider "favorites", depending on the grade of hair, handle, knot size, etc. But overall, I would say that a Shavemac brush is my favorite.

Randy

S

shavingrace

joel said:
Phil,
While I agree - SR's are most likely Shavemacs - if you look at my brush war overall pic photos - a new SR silvertip looks different than a new Shavemac silvertip as far as the head of badger hair.

I know that there are slight differences, Joel--but Charles clearly had the line made to his own specs, which means that the Savile Row Silvertips are really packed with the best badger bristle available...to Bernd. In addition, the SRs really share a family resemblance with the Shavemacs that no other manufacturer can boast. One thing is sure, though, your older XXL is the King Kong of Shavemac brushes: I wish the firm had stayed with that particular bristle; the new stuff, though of excellent quality, just isn't as resilient.

Regards,

Phil

Top Bottom