What's new

What is your favourite attainable badger brush for soaps?

If we are talkin hard soaps, it would be this 24mm Shavemac D01 2 band that I reknotted from an old AOS brush. I prefer my other boars with hard soaps, but this dense little guy is more than up to the task, great face latherer as well.
A856BCA1-B0EA-4D8A-AAC9-CF4D233E172F.jpeg

Last edited:
I like my Simpson "Duke 2". Perfect size for face lathering, comfortable handle, and Simpson's "Best" level of badger is affordable and breaks in nice IMHO.
I had two Dukes. Both shed so badly I sent them back and never tried a third but I do love the design and size.

I had two Dukes. Both shed so badly I sent them back and never tried a third but I do love the design and size.
Mine did a fair amount of shedding the first 2 dozens shaves but it's really great now. If it had just a hint more backbone I would have no interest at all in acquiring any other brush. I've been looking for a 2 bander on the simpson main site but the prices are little high for me at the moment.

Mine did a fair amount of shedding the first 2 dozens shaves but it's really great now. If it had just a hint more backbone I would have no interest at all in acquiring any other brush. I've been looking for a 2 bander on the simpson main site but the prices are little high for me at the moment.
I live in Canada so I don’t shop directly from Simpson. I’m sure I’m paying a premium so that’s why I said “attainable”, in my original post.
Both Dukes I kept for months but the shedding just continued. Luckily I avoided this problem with the Tulip.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I get good results with my Yaqi 24mm 2 band badger mountain handle lake brush with cream and hard soaps. Nice face feel when scrubbing and great lather painter.
Triple milled hard soap............................Soft cream...........................................Croap(click photos to enlarge)
SOTD Mar 1 2022.jpg
Brush collage Feb 7 2022.jpg
Brush collage, Nov 24, 2021 .jpg

Have some great shaves!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I think if one avoids silver tips they are better off. More back bone, better soap release, lower cost, etc.

I live in Canada so I don’t shop directly from Simpson. I’m sure I’m paying a premium so that’s why I said “attainable”, in my original post.
Both Dukes I kept for months but the shedding just continued. Luckily I avoided this problem with the Tulip.
I figured attainable meant not a custom brush. I'm in the US and it's really not a big deal to order from simpson direct. However, it would have to be a Limited edition brush for it to be worth the premium cost. You can get most of the regular lineup at various on line shave shops with some discount.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Hey David, fellow Canadian here, good to see you, did you have a particular brand/price in mind? What were the previous brush(s) you had and what didn't you like about then? Would help narrow a suggestion a bit.

I get good results with my Yaqi 24mm 2 band badger mountain handle lake brush with cream and hard soaps. Nice face feel when scrubbing and great lather painter.
Triple milled hard soap............................Soft cream...........................................Croap(click photos to enlarge)
View attachment 1419291 View attachment 1419292 View attachment 1419293
Have some great shaves!
I have the same brush, and I have to agree. It's the brush that converted me to face lathering and definitely the favorite at the moment.

Hey David, fellow Canadian here, good to see you, did you have a particular brand/price in mind? What were the previous brush(s) you had and what didn't you like about then? Would help narrow a suggestion a bit.
I would consider under 100.00 attainable. I have too many brushes at present. Semouge, Simpson, Omega, vie long. Paragon, ASA, Muhle, Edwin Jaeger, PAA, etc. Just looking to try something reasonable that is new to me. Thanks 😊.

Top Bottom