What's new

What is your favourite attainable badger brush for soaps?

What is your favourite attainable badger brush for soap lathering. I have a Simpson Tulip which seems too dense to readily release the lather. Ideas?
Have a great day!

I have a great boar brush that works fine. I just want something a bit fancier capable of holding more lather. Preface by saying I’m not much of a synthetic fan.

Paladin makes a really nice brush. Alternatively, and for less money, you can pick up a Maggards SHD (Super High Density) badger plus a reasonably priced handle there or elsewhere. I have a couple of those (26mm bulb and fan) knots and really like them. Also, take a look at Elite Razor and Trotter Handcrafts. Finally, for a no-frills option, Whipped Dog.

Last edited:
Paladin makes a really nice brush. Alternatively, and for less money, you can pick up a Maggards SHD (Super High Density) badger plus a reasonably priced handle there or elsewhere. I have a couple of those (26mm bulb and fan) knots and really like them. Also, take a look at Elite Razor and Trotter Handcrafts. Finally, for a no-frills option, Whipped Dog.
In addition to the Yaqi 2 band brushes I mentioned above, I also have two brushes I assembled using Maggard badger knots. One is the SHD you recommended and the other is a regular 2 band badger. I actually prefer the 2 band as the flow through is better.

Last edited:
I have a number of badger brushes, but two of them are my favorites.

One is the Savile Row 24 mm silvertip. I wish I had gotten a 26 mm, but it was out of stock when I got mine. They are sold in the states through QEDUSA.

I also have a 26 mm VP Leonhardy silvertip brush made by a artisan cooperative in Germany. They are sold in the states by The Superior Shave.

I have a Stirling finest badger which I think works quite well and punches well above its price. I almost always face lather, and I find it releases lather well (though not as well as a good synthetic, and it took a month before it started giving up the goods, goods being the lather). Because of the price and quality there’s probably a good chance it uses the same knot as a Yaqi 2 band. In any case, at $35, I think it’s worth a try.

Only knots I use regularly are shavemac and simpson. I'm not sure about my favorite. It might be my Duke in Best. Maybe one day I'll buy one of those super expensive custom brushes from DG, Varlet, Wald etc. I have a hard time justifying dropping that sort of quid on a brush.

My favorites to Face Lather (thus far) are my T&H Rooney 3/2 and Kent BLK4
If using my palm bowl, Simpson Commodore X2 in Best can't be beat (YMMV)

Top Bottom