What's new

What is your favorite vintage non adjustable razor.

Gillette Old Type and Laurel, which is also a variation on Old Type, are my favorite razors.
4.jpg
IMG_20190423_215430.jpg

My 1962 Super Speed and 1951 Black Tip are great, but I used my Schlick Krona this morning and it’s also very good.

With all the posts on vintage Techs, you’d think someone would clone them. They’d be Uber cheap to make. Maybe I’ll get a fancy handle and start using mine.

My 1962 Super Speed and 1951 Black Tip are great, but I used my Schlick Krona this morning and it’s also very good.

With all the posts on vintage Techs, you’d think someone would clone them. They’d be Uber cheap to make. Maybe I’ll get a fancy handle and start using mine.
Global Shave Club has two or three clones of the tech. I think they’re using zamak heads on their razors though. And I think P&G/Gillette are still making techs in China and India under other names

My favorite vintage DE is my 3 piece RFB which is slightly better shaver than my NEW LC.
Vintage SE - Schick M3 adjustable.

I guess I was drunk when I wrote that comment :D.

Time for an update:

1st place goes to my New Improved Tuckaway, because it's extremely easy to use as well as being super comfortable and very efficient, which is all I want from a razor.

2nd place goes to my #160 Goodwill. Almost as good as the New Improved in terms of comfort, but slightly less efficient, but still an awsesome razor.

3rd place goes to my US and British NEW like the LC, RFB and FB. Fantastic razors with relatively similar performance in terms of smoothness and efficiency. The De Luxe and the SC are also very good, but not as comfortable and enjoyable.

4rd place goes to my British and US open comb TTO Aristocrats as well as the US Senator. Awesome razors both to look at and use.

5th place goes to the my solid bar British Aristocrats (2nd, 3rd and 4th generations). Almost as good as the open comb versions and just as handsome, but the slightly behind. The US Aristocrats from the 40's are not bad shavers, but nothing amazing either.

One of the earliest Gillette Double Rings, patent applied for, no serial number, sent to G.E. Ames of the Portland Chamber of Commerce in 1903. During this time period Gillette was actively promoting his new product by sending out samples to movers and shakers across the country to raise money and jumpstart sales. It is the only vintage Gillette razor I possess that can be traced back to the original owner/recipient.
100_9432.JPG
Gillette Ames DR Case Bottom.JPG

Someone who didn't know any better applied clear tape to preserve the bottom of the box. A shame but it is what it is.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My NOS 1947 Gillette Flat Bottom Tech:
View attachment 1356188

Now on my magical 14g GT Handle (thanks Doug @Rosseforp):
View attachment 1356189

(Currently) it just shaves "better" than all my other razors (vintage and modern). Its design makes it easy to reach all the (previously) difficult to get to nooks and crannies (for me at least).

So, currently it's my Number One Favorite. :cornut:
I did a quick search... .couldn't find any of them for sale. I'm not seriously looking... but where is a good source, should that change?

I did find this one: Vintage Gillette Flat Bottom Tech Safety Razor with Bakelite box England | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/265797962366?hash=item3de2cb0a7e:g:1e0AAOSwJili4DH4
No date that I could see.

Last edited:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I did a quick search... .couldn't find any of them for sale. I'm not seriously looking... but where is a good source, should that change?
UK eBay (i.e. .co.uk), not .com.
That one looks pretty good; I don't like the look of the shipping cost though.

TMK the Flat Bottom Techs are all from the 1940s (the NDC years). So you really need to get a NOS set complete with blades (the blades are dated) to know the date.

I only have two vintage razors. One doesn't qualify for this tread, and the other is a 1917 Gillette old type that I shaved with for over 40 years. It still looks nearly new, and is used on occasion.
When my daughter was a teenager, she used it to shave her legs, and loved it, so when I pass, she'll get it as a momento.:biggrin1:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Check the UK fleabay sites using Vintage Gillette Razor.

~doug~

UK eBay (i.e. .co.uk), not .com.

That one looks pretty good; I don't like the look of the shipping cost though.

TMK the Flat Bottom Techs are all from the 1940s (the NDC years). So you really need to get a NOS set complete with blades (the blades are dated) to know the date.
There's one in better shape but $100... is that far too much? It isn't NOS... no blades. I'm not looking for a collector's item.... $12 or so to ship.

Cal, why does the shipping cost on the one on eBay bother you? Not enough?

I guess my favorite would be my only one (for now), LOL!!
I just got it (My first vintage razor) and have only used it twice. It's Fantastic!
Beautiful 63' Super Speed Flair Tip:

PXL_20220725_175204859.jpg

I've got my #2 on the way. A 74' Super Speed🙂
LRod

There's one in better shape but $100... is that far too much? It isn't NOS... no blades. I'm not looking for a collector's item.... $12 or so to ship.
Let's put it this way. There's no way I'd pay $100 for one (unless it was NOS and in mint condition).
Cal, why does the shipping cost on the one on eBay bother you? Not enough?
Whoops! I think it may be OK for you. eBay located me in the UK and the shipping cost they give is $55 (same cost as the razor).

Top Bottom