What's new

What is your favorite vintage non adjustable razor.

I have two, since they're always used in tandem. I don't shave every day, but when I do, I use my Gillette OC ball end, followed by a Tech for cleanup/fine tuning.

20211111_122407.jpg

I would have said a Gillette New, long or short comb a few months ago. Now a Schick G is my besty. Never seem to nick myself and gives a smooth, close, worry free shave.

I haven't tried any brit made techs. I would like to try a RFB. The pricing I have seen for a RFB puts you in a market of other equally desirable razors. The pricing I have seen is 4 x more than your garden variety tech. Plus its a tech will it shave that much different (better) than the other techs.
FYI it is called a Hybrid Tech. RFB is reserved, generally, for the open comb version, the RFB New.
And the Hybrid Tech is not the only British Tech. Others have mentioned the flat-bottom Tech, which is also a fine shaver.
Oh, and you can't buy a Hybrid Tech for the cost of four regular Techs. More like 25 or 30 or more.

I guess these must be my favorite in my collection since they're used most of the time, if you exclude my adjustable razors.

'46-'47 Aristocrat
Rocket HD500
Rocket Red Tip
SS Red Tip

FYI it is called a Hybrid Tech. RFB is reserved, generally, for the open comb version, the RFB New.
And the Hybrid Tech is not the only British Tech. Others have mentioned the flat-bottom Tech, which is also a fine shaver.
Oh, and you can't buy a Hybrid Tech for the cost of four regular Techs. More like 25 or 30 or more.
Thanks for the clarification. I think I meant the flat bottom. Still much more than your run of the mill tech. I researched these and moved on. I am happy with my Canadian made tech for now. Stay away RAD!

My favourite vintage DE & SE razors in my humble collection.

DE Razors:

1940's Thin Handle Gillette flat bottom tech. (ENG)
1950's Gillette Ball End Tech. (US)
1960's Gillette Slim Twist. (ENG)
1970's Aluminum Handle Gillette Tech. (ENG)

SE Razors:

Ever-Ready 1912. (ENG)
Ever-Ready 1912. (US)
Ever-Ready 1914. (US) (Brass)
Gem Micromatic OC. (US)
Valet Auto Strop VC1. (US)

On a whim, I bought Star razor from a thrift shop for $1 that has become my every day razor. It's been reviewed here...
I have several TTO razors, including a Fat Boy, but the simplicity of the Star got me. It gives an excellent shave, and I don't mind hanging it in the shower, because if it gets knocked down nothing is going to happen to it.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I haven't tried any brit made techs. I would like to try a RFB. The pricing I have seen for a RFB puts you in a market of other equally desirable razors. The pricing I have seen is 4 x more than your garden variety tech. Plus its a tech will it shave that much different (better) than the other techs.
Yes, the RFB is on a whole different level than a Tech… any Tech, except maybe the Hybrid Tech. The RFB is in the NEW family. The commonly used name is Raised Flat Bottom NEW.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
The Hybrid is a super good razor. There are also standard Brit Techs that more closely resemble the USA Techs in addition to the flat bottoms. All great razors.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Thanks for the clarification. I think I meant the flat bottom. Still much more than your run of the mill tech. I researched these and moved on. I am happy with my Canadian made tech for now. Stay away RAD!
I’ve found flat bottom techs at the flea market for $10. You can get some nice cased ones on the bay for $40 or $50.

Well, I came to this thread thinking we were supposed to give our opinion on vintage adjustable but I'm game. The razors i use the most are my 1940s Gold Aristocrat, my 1961 Fat Boy, my WWII era Fat Handle Tech and my 1956 Red Tip.

My Old Type and New long comb, with a GSB blade, work just right for me. I have two of each and I don't think I'll ever be buying any other razors.

Here’s a list of my favorites.
Gillette Rocket HD 500
Wilkinson Sword Sticky
1955 Gillette Diplomat
1959 Gillette Red Tip
1934 Gillette Aristocrat
1946-47 Gillette Aristocrat
Gillette No58 made in England
Schick Krona

Top Bottom