What's new

What is your favorite "value" brush .

For me, my Lijun (now Liojuny, I think) silvertip with horn handle, $40, and the knot is practically identical to my Kent BK8. Huge and luxurious

I feel like a bum! You guys are talking about "value" brushes and the price tags are what I consider high! My value brush is a Burma-Shave brush I purchased for $4 at a grocery store! Its nothing fancy, but its a fantastic brush in my opinion. On a side note, can anyone recommend a decent Badger brush at a lower price? I'm on a budget! Thanks everyone!

Different price point altogether, but I suggest a Simpson's Special in Best-approximately $40 at WCS. Terrific brush for the $ IMO.

I like my Omega S-Brush for travel and my Muehle hjm black fibre brushes, but for ultimate value, it comes down to the Bestshave Nr. 6 (boar, w. a few token horse hairs). I use it when I have a little extra time to pre-soak it and let it dry afterwards. Doesn't look like much, but it makes great lather and does the job.

Really when I think about it a lmost all reasonably priced brushes could be considered as "value" brushes. Any brush will last many years to decades so the cost is minimal. That said my best-buy/value picks would be:

Boar: Badger & Blade Essential, any Omega, and Semogue 820, 830, 1250, 1800.
Badger: Whipped Dog custom silvertip

I have several brushes, but recently picked-up a NIB Semogue 1305 Superior Boar Bristle Shaving Brush for about $14 (shipped) because it reminded me of one my Dad when I was growing up in the 60's. It surprised me ... used it in my Old Spice mug with a new puck of Williams soap .. I think I went back in time. Into the rotation it goes!

What is your best "value" brush?
The 1305 is my daily go to brush, and my favorite.

Clayton

This will sound like a classic wetshaver's rationalization, but the cost of a Semogue boar brush amortized over several years of use is very, very low.

If you are on a strict budget I would recommend sticking with boar, since you can get much greater bang for your buck there, IMO.

+1. Unfortunately, IMO the term "budget" means different things when you are talking about boars vs. badgers. You can purchase an excellent boar for the price of a so-so boar. Main thing is to have fun!

For whatever reason I have liked all my value brushes. Early-on, to get some rotation, I ordered a bunch of Silvertip Chinese brushes, $10 and less on eBay. They look and feel like silvertip, indeed. They are genuine so far as I know. They still shed a hair or two occasionally, but not profusely. I've had an eye on inexpensive Turkish brushes such as those from Lider and others, and I included one in a starter kit for a friend's husband. I figure that to some extent, brushes may be like razors to me. I get as good of shaves from a $3.00 YUMA as I do from a $55 Mühle. The extra money does not necessarily make the better shave. The same goes for $3.00 creams and soaps vis-a-vis $25 creams and soaps.
Of course, if you find a difference between the products of the various price points, or if it brings you any satisfaction to have higher-ticket products, it is your money and have a ball.

I only own two brushes. Both of them I consider a good value.

Boar - Omega 10066

Badger - VDH. The first brush shed terribly and was very floppy. I contacted the them and they sent me a new brush. Tis one has great backbone and very minimal shedding.

Semogue 1438. I've abused mine as my daily driver for almost 3 years. Solid backbone, the right amount of scritch, and amazing splay when face lathering.

I feel like a bum! You guys are talking about "value" brushes and the price tags are what I consider high! My value brush is a Burma-Shave brush I purchased for $4 at a grocery store! Its nothing fancy, but its a fantastic brush in my opinion. On a side note, can anyone recommend a decent Badger brush at a lower price? I'm on a budget! Thanks everyone!
I've got a couple berma shave brushes and even bought one for my dad. The only boar brush I own, definitely a value brush.

Proraso/Omega Professional chrome handle boar brush, great for face lathering my beloved Arko Stick; available for prices of $10-20, if you shop around.

Top Bottom