What's new

What is your favorite sandalwood soap?

I'm a big fan of B&M's Sandalwood (Omnibus and Soft Heart). It's not a pure Sandalwood, but it's a lovely version. I pair it with Ethos's Mysore Santal skin food splash (which is I believe may be as close to pure sandalwood as one can get) (pricey but you only need a little).

Grooming Department Sandalwood Nobile
B239D847-3B90-4142-9EEE-33214166C35D.jpeg

I’ve found AOS to be great in cream form.
Bought the tub a few years ago and I remember (after buying it) reading some simliar reports from some other guys who bought a tub at around the same time. Nice to know about the cream in a tube. Didn't even know that existed! May have to try some one of these days.

Bought the tub a few years ago and I remember (after buying it) reading some simliar reports from some other guys who bought a tub at around the same time. Nice to know about the cream in a tube. Didn't even know that existed! May have to try some one of these days.
The tube seems a touch drier which allows you to better control the water add.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Stirling vanilla sandalwood is nice. (Probably my number 2) Imo it’s better than their straight up sandalwood. But I like vanilla.
The best imo is WSP sandalwood. Real deep wood smoke and earth scent. No sweetness, floral or perfume qualities I find in many varieties of sandalwood out there.

I’ve tried TOBS & Barrister & Mann Sandalwood. I like the TOBS for its clean soapy scent, but I don’t get sandalwood. The B&M is fantastic. I very much disliked Proraso green, so I’m not in a hurry to try the red.

Proraso Red is my one Sandalwood scented soap. While the aroma of the soap itself is a bet too strong the actual shave and post shave residual is excellent. Soap easily generates lots of rich thick lather though slickness, while OK, is not at the same level of my hard soaps. Have tended to use it more as a superlathering agent with my other soaps.

Proraso Red is the only sandalwood for me.

~doug~
So I had only 1 shave with Proraso sandalwood so not very much experience at all. Is their sandalwood a pretty fair standard for what sandalwood is supposed to smell like, I'm just beginning my journey thanks?

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I have only used TOBS and Proraso red sandalwood soap. I prefer TOBS over Proraso for both scent and performance. I actually didn't even like the Proraso red at all, and tossed it before I was even close to using it up. I may have gotten a bad tub because I really like Proraso green and white very much.

I have only used TOBS and Proraso red sandalwood soap. I prefer TOBS over Proraso for both scent and performance. I actually didn't even like the Proraso red at all, and tossed it before I was even close to using it up. I may have gotten a bad tub because I really like Proraso green and white very much.
I agree then with you, I love the performance of the raso, but now I've learned that I really don't like sandalwood at all. What about the raso green do you like please?

Thinking of trying Cyril S. Salter Indian Sandalwood, anyone have an idea of the scent and how it compares to Mysore sandalwood scent? I use Mysore sandalwood scent as my point of reference for true Sandalwood (though I know there are other varieties in other parts of the world).

My TOBS Sandalwood is in stick form for travel. It is a great soap in that regard, but I much prefer St James as my travel stick.

I usually pair the TOBS Sandalwood with either Proraso Red or Leviathan splash - win win

This is quickly becoming THE SANDALWOOD thread - love all the contributions 🍻
You should try pairing it with TOBS Mr Taylor's cream. It produces a nice, classic, barbershop scent for this time of year.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Thinking of trying Cyril S. Salter Indian Sandalwood, anyone have an idea of the scent and how it compares to Mysore sandalwood scent? I use Mysore sandalwood scent as my point of reference for true Sandalwood (though I know there are other varieties in other parts of the world).

You should try pairing it with TOBS Mr Taylor's cream. It produces a nice, classic, barbershop scent for this time of year.
That's definitely on my list of things to try.
My friend likes the Wild Rose version of it, but I didn't like the scent. However, it's a very nice soap otherwise.

Top Bottom