What's new

What is your favorite sandalwood soap?

The old Valobra produced tallow based Art of Shaving soap is my favorite sandalwood, followed closely by Haslingers take on sandalwood. I happen to have the tallow version of both AoS and Haslinger in the stash, but any version of Haslinger is great including the latest. Sadly, I cannot say the same for AoS.

My favourite sandalwood soap is Fine Santal Absolut, for both performance and scent. Sadly, it's discontinued 🪦 So when this puck is finished it's gone.
I also like the scent of TOBS Sandalwood (hard soap, not cream). It's herbal sandalwood, kind of old school, but it's nice.

Before I got my Stirling samples last week I'd have said Proraso. I got the Stirling soap and splash sample and like their version even better, scent and performance. I'll buying the full size Stirlings and not replacing the Proraso.

First shave with my latest puck of Sandalwood Nobile. (I had an earlier version of this scent a few years ago.)

Man, this stuff is delightful—the scent is scrumptious and the performance is top shelf of course:

F81A3BAE-D424-43B5-B501-1D7F96FB2FD4.jpeg

My .02

Truefitt & Hill makes a wonderful Sandalwood soap - cream as well.

Proraso and AOS smell very similar to me - in a very, very good way.

TOBS does not trigger Sandalwood to me - maybe an old world representation? Very good soap for my use, but probably bottom for me with regards to “Sandalwood”.

Another which does not come off to me as Sandalwood, is Blue Devil. Great performer, under the radar. To my nose is kind of barbershop-like, very subtle and clean.

B&M to me smells more like cedar/juniper and is very soft, so watch how you load.

I like Proraso sandalwood a lot. It’s one of my favorite scents. I think I could use it everyday and never get tired of it.

I also like the scent of Trumpers sandalwood a lot too. Seems to have some floral notes in it. I have the skin food & the cologne. Hope to get the shave cream to pair up with it, when I make some room in my shave den.

That is how I felt also. Gave mine away.

~doug~
My TOBS Sandalwood is in stick form for travel. It is a great soap in that regard, but I much prefer St James as my travel stick.

I usually pair the TOBS Sandalwood with either Proraso Red or Leviathan splash - win win

This is quickly becoming THE SANDALWOOD thread - love all the contributions 🍻

Ciao Marco!
This is a vegan soap. They make fantastic products.

Desairology, named for the mortuary practice of grooming the dead, is a spooky twist on classic barbershop scents.

Scent notes: Sandalwood, musk, oakmoss, citrus, lavender, vanilla, oud, burnt white sage, burnt palo santo, gardenia

Ingredients: Water, stearic acid, shea butter, castor oil, potassium hydroxide, glycerine, coconut oil, sodium lactate, sodium hydroxide, jojoba oil, aloe powder, liquid aloe, isopropyl myristate, kaolin clay, fragrance

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Ciao Marco!
This is a vegan soap. They make fantastic products.

Desairology, named for the mortuary practice of grooming the dead, is a spooky twist on classic barbershop scents.

Scent notes: Sandalwood, musk, oakmoss, citrus, lavender, vanilla, oud, burnt white sage, burnt palo santo, gardenia

Ingredients: Water, stearic acid, shea butter, castor oil, potassium hydroxide, glycerine, coconut oil, sodium lactate, sodium hydroxide, jojoba oil, aloe powder, liquid aloe, isopropyl myristate, kaolin clay, fragrance
Sir, thank you so very much for this detailed answer. The ingredients list looks great, so I have no doubts about the soap itself being great! Enjoy!

I’ve only tried a few hard sandalwood soaps.
Proraso Red
Stirling
Taylor’s
Trumpers.
Taylor’s is the one I like best both scent and performance.
Proraso Red is next, Stirling after that as I found the scent quite weak and lastly trumpers which I just couldn’t get a lather from.

lasta

Blade Biter
Proraso Red, Sir.

On a side note, I wish the Ludovico Martelli Company made a Yellow soap and cream with cocoa butter. It would be just about perfect for cold winter months.

Proraso Red is beautiful, and very accessible. Much creamier than the TOBS variety IMO and closer to actually smelling like sandalwood (although neither are pure).

I've been really enjoying the Yellow as well. Creamy, buttery, soft and sweet. No need for brushed version, I enjoy mine as is!

Top Bottom