What's new

What is your favorite Safety razor?

Well this is an absolutely difficult question...a year ago I said the Gillette LC New. I have many, vintage and modern razors but right now? The Colonial General SS V1.

0BB5B76A-F1EB-44EE-91BB-5E3D853C337C.jpeg

So far i have tried a 1950 Super Speed, 1960 Fatboy, Edwin Jagger DE89, and a Micromatic. Of those I like the Fatboy the most.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I'd have to say my black DLC Oristo, which I am told is from the shop that machined the first Mambas, and whose specs match those of current Mambas. Got mine from MassDrop for about $100, which is steep, relative to current Mambas. C'est la vie.

No matter. The Oristo is just a great razor that allows me to shave with a bit of pressure (which I am given to do) without risk of blood. I mean the damn thing really puts the "safe" in "safety." Cannot recall a nick, cut, rash or weeper--all the while getting consistently close shaves.

Moreover, the Oristo performs no matter what blade I load. The razor just does not seem to care.

One of these days I'll pick up a new Mamba and compare the two. If the DNA is the same, I doubt I'll be disappointed.

Favorite safety razor - 1934 Aristocrat. Honorable mention to the Everready 1912 which gets at least first pass duty if it has been a few days since I last shaved and I don’t pick a straight.

Late 40's Gillette Super Speed. Very mild and forgiving razor. If I have a fresh blade in it, I can get aggressive (or careless) with the razor and I rarely get nicks or weepers.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Every month or every time I acquire a new razor my top five favourites change but the constants are the Leresche type 34 open short comb, more recently the Gillette Single Ring, and the Eclipse Red Ring. Here are my examples:

Leresche.jpgGSR.jpgERR.jpg

The Eclipse takes the prize for me - the best razor I have ever used and the finest adjustable by a considerable margin. It is fantastic.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Too many wonderful razors to have one clear favorite.

Techs: Hybrid Tech, German #34, Canadian Pre and Post War, English #24
Personna "BBS-0"
FaTip, Joris, Schöne
Charcoal Goods
Blackland
Karve
Timeless
Gillette Old Type, New SC & RFB, Aristocrat
GEM Featherweight
RR Lupo DLC, GC .68 & .84SB

Undoubtedly forgetting some.

Any one of these is my favorite while I'm shaving with it. ;)

Blackland Blackbird is my current favorite! Been giving my other razors some time lately and realize they're gonna need to be sold since they just can not compete. My SS timeless .95 scb is just as comfortable, but the shave is not as close in two passes.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Every month or every time I acquire a new razor my top five favourites change but the constants are the Leresche type 34 open short comb, more recently the Gillette Single Ring, and the Eclipse Red Ring. Here are my examples:

View attachment 1058862View attachment 1058867View attachment 1058866

The Eclipse takes the prize for me - the best razor I have ever used and the finest adjustable by a considerable margin. It is fantastic.
I'm not a collector a vintage razors, but I sure love seeing pictures of them, and really appreciate their beauty and historical significance. So thank you and everyone else that posts the photos for people to see, and also explaining their historical place in our hobby, and for being the caretakers of this history.

Razorock SLOC is my fav. I keep trying razors to see if it can be beat, but so far its the one for me.

Last edited:
I have about a dozen razors and get great shaves from them all. A birth quarter Fatboy, DE89L, Super Speed, Rockwell 6s and a Charcoal Goods / WCS offering among others. None hold a candle to my daily driver though, a BBS1

1580774820110.png

Top Bottom