What's new

What is your Favorite mug/bowl/scuttle?

I am looking for something that I can use to generate lather with a shave soap puck. I don't want to load the brush in one container with the soap then generate lather in a different container. Is this possible?

Mahalo!

Yes, at least in a way. The problem with building lather on top of the soap puck is you can't control how much soap you get very well. Good lather needs the right amount of soap and the right amount of water. Too much soap and not enough water results in lather that is not slick or good to shave with.

You can remove a measured amount of soap from the puck and smoosh it into the lather bowl, then build your lather there.

You can load the soap onto the brush from the puck and then face lather.

I am looking for something that I can use to generate lather with a shave soap puck. I don't want to load the brush in one container with the soap then generate lather in a different container. Is this possible?

Mahalo!

Absolutely. Using a single mug to lather on the puck has been the traditional way of creating lather since long before using a separate bowl became popular.
It does require a slightly different technique than bowl lathering.

Yes, you can load the brush from the puck and build the lather on face. You can use any mug or bowl (where soap would reside). I doubt it would work with a scuttle. This is not my favourite way of building lather but many people do it successfully.

That being said, my favourite

mug (William Marvy rubber shaving mug)
1622918913539.jpeg

bowl for building lather (Onyx double wall stainless 4")
1622919059932.jpeg

bowl for holding soaps (cheap double wall stainless with a lid)
1622919383483.jpeg

My favourite scuttles are Georgetown Pottery G20. I have two.

Last edited:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
My favorite scuttle is the Georgetown Pottery G 12.

There is a difference between loading the brush and building the lather. If you try to do both in the same bowl the brush is going to keep picking up more soap as you're building lather.

You can load the brush and face lather, but I think you'll be much happier to load the brush on the puck and then go to the scuttle or face to build the lather.

The Marvy mug is great. I just got one to put my first ever Williams soap puck in. Generous size and indestructible. Turns out Williams is great performing soap....especially for the price..

I'm a shower shaver, so I want something unbreakable. I don't want to be barfoot in a shower stall with a bunch of broken crockery.

Favorite mug to use: Marvy green
Favorite mug to look at: Old Spice

Favorite bowl: Timeless
(Apologies to the Captain, but his unbreakables are $35-50. Timeless was $12.)

Somehow, I don't see myself ever using a scuttle.

I have an Old Spice mug as well, but if you are looking for something to lather in you might want to look at an apothecary mug. They can support large pucks and they are a great way to lather on top of a puck for soaps that are too large for a mug.

Top Bottom