What's new

What is your favorite modern synthetic shave brush?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I have been reading up on synthetic brushes, about how there has been a revolution in synthetic brush hairs over the past several years. It has been many years since I purchased a brush.

In the modern generation of shave brush which ones are your favorites? Which are rated most high? Which do you prefer?

When I use soap, I usually load off a puck, and bowl lather. If that matters.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

My experience is limited to three Razorock brushes but of the three I ended up keeping the BC Silvertip Plissoft.

It was best combination of size, feel, lathering and even looks.

For reference, I tend to prefer boar brushes over badger.

Note: The others were the Snowman and Monster models

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I tried to get into synthetics a few years ago when they were starting to really gain popularity with the Muhle V2 and Plisson Cade. Over time I also tried some RazoRock synths as well. The only synthetic I ever use now is a Wolf Whiskers with the original Nathan Clark Ubersoft. They’re very utilitarian brushes in my experience. I consider them the tools that bridge the gap between traditional wet shaving and just using canned foam. Faster, less satisfying, but with a better lather for the shave. That’s just my personal feeling toward them, though. I get that they have a soft feel, but they just don’t feel as good as a quality badger or boar to me.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have experience with all of the following:

Omega EVO
Mühle and EJ 25mm Silvertip Fibre
Shavemac Synthetic Fan
Simpsons Chubby 2, Trafalgar 2 and Duke 2 Synthetics
Zenith S10 Synthetic
PAA Peregrino 24mm Roswell Hybrid and Solar Flare 24mm Nexus Synthetics
Turn-N-Shave Chess (on ETSY - the best $10 brush out there - YMMV)
AP Shave Co. 2BED, Cashmere and Tuxedo
Yaqi Cashmere
Mr. Fine Angel
Craving Shaving Suave

For commercially available, one stop shop, current synthetics, The Omega EVO, Mühle and EJ 25mm Silvertip Fibre, Shavemac Synthetic Fan and Simpsons Chubby 2 are all excellent brushes and in my rotation.

If you want a synthetic with backbone and scrub, the Zenith S10 fits the bill.

If you don't want to spend over $20, the PAA Peregrino 24mm Roswell Hybrid is definitely worth checking out.

If $10 is your limit, the Turn-N-Shave Chess (on ETSY) is a great brush for $10.

YMMV

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have tried fewer than ten synthetics and the only ones I have retained in my rotation are a butterscotch Simpson Chubby 2 and a Simpson Colonel X2L with a murano ruby handle. There may be better synthetic brushes but I have no interest in trying them. 👍

I bought a Whipped Dog probably 4 years ago. I didn't really care for it and I'm thinking about PIFing it away. I never bought any others after that.

I've used 9 different synthetics and they've all been good, but the clear standout as my favorite is the Simpson Chubby 2.

Here's the synthetics I've used:
Simpson Chubby 2
Simpson Trafalgar T1
Simpson Trafalgar T2
Simpson Trafalgar T3
Maggards 22mm
RazoRock Disruptor
Edwin Jagger STF 23mm
Yaqi Purple Haze Mew Brown
Kent Infinity

I have a fair few cheaper synthetics and liked them all. They are all good in their own way. Prices from £10 - £30.
Then I tried the higher priced Simpsons. I'm done. Wasted. Gone with the fairies. I though guys paying stupid money for brushed were nuts but I've lost the ticket with these Simpsons. I now have the Chubby 1, Chubby 2 x 3, and a Duke 3.

They really feel like luxury brushes. It's an unnecessarily expense but hey....I'm worth it. So I tell myself anyway.

:w00t:

My two:

Rudy Vey Team.jpg

Shavemac Syn.jpg

I have owned at least 6 or 8 different synthetics, but none of the "high end" synthetics like Muhle, Simpsons, Shavemac, etc. By far my favorite, and the only one I still own, is the Yaqi Rainbrow brown synthetic. Even if you decide to spring for one of the high end synthetics, I would recommend that you spend the $15 to give the Yaqi Rainbow brown a try.

Reactions: nav

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Been using synths for eight or nine years, whenever the first H.I.S brushes debuted. Still use 'em.

Since then, I've acquired several more synths, all of them fine performers, and none costing more than $25. As I use them all regularly, I'm hard pressed to name any favorites.

FWIW, mine come from:

• Stirling
  • PAA
  • Haircut & Shave
  • Yaqi
As for other brands, I just haven't gotten around to trying them, so don't view their absence negatively.

Right now, and from the first time I ever tried it, it has been the Yaqi Purple Haze 24mm mew brown synthetic brush. The Stirling Synthetic brush is another favorite for sure. The Yaqi Familia Sagrada is one i use a lot also. I just wish the handle was a little bigger.

I have been reading up on synthetic brushes, about how there has been a revolution in synthetic brush hairs over the past several years. It has been many years since I purchased a brush.

In the modern generation of shave brush which ones are your favorites? Which are rated most high? Which do you prefer?

When I use soap, I usually load off a puck, and bowl lather. If that matters.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I love both of my brushes from PAA, particularly the “Star Wisp”.

Top Bottom